"Book Me" +green dot.

Old January 25th 15, 08:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Mark Carver

Default "Book Me" +green dot.

On 23/01/2015 19:38, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

The downside with this is that the "on" and "off" triggers need programming
in conjunction with the audio and sometimes for odd reasons they seem to
get divorced from each other in the running order.
Lack of the "off" trigger is the one that causes the trouble of course as
you would never know about missing the "on" trigger.

Round here 2-TEN FM (now a Heart clone) managed to get their off and on
triggers arse about face for a week or so, resulting in three minutes
of raised TA from the *end* of each travel bulletin.

--
Mark
Old January 25th 15, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Mark Carver

On 22/01/2015 13:26, David wrote:

Have phoned supplier Richer Sounds who are very concerned and their own
engineer will be contacting me. It is something they have not heard of.

They are not very well informed then, and can't seem to use Google.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sam...1870155/page-3

https://community.youview.com/youvie...e_green_button

It is a 3 week old Samsung smart TV UE55HU7500.

Any ideas?
A Samsung fault or a BBC fault?

As the 'Book Me' banner vanishes for other manufacturers, I'd say it's
Sammy's fault ?

--
Mark
Old January 25th 15, 12:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Indy Jess John

On 25/01/2015 09:53, Mark Carver wrote:

Round here 2-TEN FM (now a Heart clone) managed to get their off and on
triggers arse about face for a week or so, resulting in three minutes
of raised TA from the *end* of each travel bulletin.

The BBC used to do something similar with PDC codes on analogue BBC2.
If I set a recorder for a PDC tagged programme, I would sometimes find
they broadcast the PDC code just after the end of the preceding
programme, and again just before the programme started. My recorder
would store the bit in between - usually a 2-minute reminder that they
knew who had a TV licence and who didn't. For BBC transmissions I ended
up recording 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after instead of using PDC
codes just because the BBC couldn't be trusted to get them right.

Old January 25th 15, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
David[_9_]

On 25/01/2015 10:06, Mark Carver wrote:
On 22/01/2015 13:26, David wrote:

Have phoned supplier Richer Sounds who are very concerned and their own
engineer will be contacting me. It is something they have not heard of.

They are not very well informed then, and can't seem to use Google.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sam...1870155/page-3

https://community.youview.com/youvie...e_green_button

It is a 3 week old Samsung smart TV UE55HU7500.

Any ideas?
A Samsung fault or a BBC fault?

As the 'Book Me' banner vanishes for other manufacturers, I'd say it's
Sammy's fault ?

Yes I can usually Search the internet well, but as I said earlier adding
the word "Freeview" to my search did get me results.

As regards my problem it might be a little early to say this and I was
waiting to say it after little longer tome, but here goes.
I have not had the green dot and "book me" for a couple of days and all
I could think was it was a BBC fault last weekend and beginning of the
week and BBC had stopped sending it out to TV sets.
I had thought someone at the BBC who knows about this feature read here
and got something done.
Anyway fingers crossed for next few days to see.
Regards
David

Old January 26th 15, 10:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Paul Ratcliffe
writes:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 18:23:58 +0000, J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

No. That's usually the radio station forgetting to reset the
appropriate flag at the end of the traffic interrupt.

It should usually time out after (something like) 3 minutes, though I'm
not sure if that is implemented in the transmitter or the receiver.

Neither. There is a timeout at the station end equipment and in London.

Ah, so in effect it _is_ in the transmitter (assuming that's what you
mean by "the station end equipment") - i. e. the traffic flag stops
being sent after 3 minutes. (If by "London" you mean the station
switched _from_, e. g. Radio 4, then the cheaper sort of receiver - most
of them - that only has one tuner, will surely not hear it as it's on
the local station?)

There is sometimes suspicion that some stations deliberately "forget" in
order to try to get listeners hooked on the station's output, though in
most cases it's probably not that.

I would suspect it's not that in the vast majority of cases.

Indeed. (Though I've occasionally been a bit suspicious for certain
prog.s/stations.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Once a mind is opened it is very hard to shut.
Old February 4th 15, 05:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 11:46:35 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

Some stations use in band signalling, but using sub-audible tones

Sub audible tones?, do tell never heard of those in Broadcast systems.

Something like 20Hz in the S signal if my memory serves (increasingly
unlikely with time).

Lack of the "off" trigger is the one that causes the trouble of course as
you would never know about missing the "on" trigger.

You should have a timer on the RDS system to cope with that else it
could be on for a year and a day;!.

Do try and keep up at the back. There is and always has been one.
Old February 4th 15, 05:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 20:38:10 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

When we're in polite company, if I sound as if I might be starting to
stray away from the paths of respectable conversation, Hil gives out a
sub-audible tone. No-one else is attuned to it, so only I'm aware of it.
I can't describe the sound. It's a bit like how animals know when
there's going to be an earthquake. It's very frightening.

Are you sure it's not just the brussel sprouts?
Old February 4th 15, 05:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Paul Ratcliffe

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 23:10:24 +0000, J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

It should usually time out after (something like) 3 minutes, though I'm
not sure if that is implemented in the transmitter or the receiver.

Neither. There is a timeout at the station end equipment and in London.

Ah, so in effect it _is_ in the transmitter (assuming that's what you
mean by "the station end equipment") - i. e. the traffic flag stops
being sent after 3 minutes.

It depends what you mean by transmitter. I mean the big lump of metalwork
or similar on top a hill somewhere, not the orginating studio building.

(If by "London" you mean the station switched _from_, e. g. Radio 4,

No I don't. I mean the place where some of the equipment/software is.
Old February 4th 15, 07:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 20:38:10 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

When we're in polite company, if I sound as if I might be starting to
stray away from the paths of respectable conversation, Hil gives out a
sub-audible tone. No-one else is attuned to it, so only I'm aware of it.
I can't describe the sound. It's a bit like how animals know when
there's going to be an earthquake. It's very frightening.

Are you sure it's not just the brussel sprouts?

No, when my missus is going to crack one out she announces it.