"Book Me" +green dot.

Old January 23rd 15, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Paul Ratcliffe

Default "Book Me" +green dot.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 18:23:58 +0000, J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

No. That's usually the radio station forgetting to reset the
appropriate flag at the end of the traffic interrupt.

It should usually time out after (something like) 3 minutes, though I'm
not sure if that is implemented in the transmitter or the receiver.

Neither. There is a timeout at the station end equipment and in London.

There is sometimes suspicion that some stations deliberately "forget" in
order to try to get listeners hooked on the station's output, though in
most cases it's probably not that.

I would suspect it's not that in the vast majority of cases.
Old January 23rd 15, 06:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Paul Ratcliffe

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 10:29:01 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

But if my LG TV gives up the ghost and I buy a Samsung or Panasonic as a
replacement, would I be able to watch the programmes on the disc that
the LG had recorded? Or is this a stealth manufacturer lock-in with
each one imposing their own recording standard, incompatible with anyone
else's?

Unlikely that you can transfer stuff. I doubt you can even transfer
within the same manufacturer, or even within the same product type.
My experience is that you have to have the exact unit that recorded
the content to play it back on as it's encrypted on its way to the disk.
Old January 23rd 15, 07:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Probably didn't reach someone who knew what on earth you were on about?

I addressed it to the station manager. Surely that person, as a manager
at the BBC, must have a good grasp of everything for which they have
responsibility.

Old January 23rd 15, 08:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Peter Duncanson

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 20:06:39 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Probably didn't reach someone who knew what on earth you were on about?

I addressed it to the station manager. Surely that person, as a manager
at the BBC, must have a good grasp of everything for which they have
responsibility.

That must be a candidate for the Best Joke of the Year 2015.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old January 24th 15, 02:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

wrote:

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Probably didn't reach someone who knew what on earth you were on about?

I addressed it to the station manager. Surely that person, as a manager
at the BBC, must have a good grasp of everything for which they have
responsibility.

That must be a candidate for the Best Joke of the Year 2015.

No, the BBC is funded by licence-payers' money. The BBC knows that it
has a sacred duty to use such money wisely, and would never allow any
sort of managerial ineptitude to affect efficiency.

Old January 24th 15, 09:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

wrote:

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Probably didn't reach someone who knew what on earth you were on
about?
I addressed it to the station manager. Surely that person, as a
manager at the BBC, must have a good grasp of everything for which
they have responsibility.

That must be a candidate for the Best Joke of the Year 2015.

No, the BBC is funded by licence-payers' money. The BBC knows that it
has a sacred duty to use such money wisely, and would never allow any
sort of managerial ineptitude to affect efficiency.

In the same way that it knows it is expected/required to outsource. Thus
losing control because it has no idea of the details of how the outsourced
requirement is delivered.

Old January 24th 15, 10:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
tony sayer

In article , Paul Ratcliffe
scribeth thus
On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 07:48:06 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

My complaint about this to R Humberside has gone unanswered.

I believe on some stations, the flag is set automatically by playing the
jingle, (It used to be an audio tone on one of the cartridge tracks.)
and if there's silence at the end of the track, all it takes is for
someone to forget to fade down the now silent track, or in the case of a
cart based jingle unit, for them to forget to stop the cart.

Today many commercial stations use in band DTMF tones, embedded into the
travel jingle audio as it's played off of the server or effects box. In
this system of course the jingle has to be faded up to air, for the
system to trigger and release properly. However, the Beeb don't use that
system, Mr Ratcliffe might give us chapter and verse on that.......?

Some stations use in band signalling, but using sub-audible tones

Sub audible tones?, do tell never heard of those in Broadcast systems.

Two Way radio as common as muck tho..

rather
than DTMF. Don't know more than that other than it has a habit of causing
false triggering on certain programme material.
More enlightened stations (IMHO! which includes the two I oversee) don't use
this rubbish and instead use triggers from the audio playout systems to the
control system (typically using GPIs).
The downside with this is that the "on" and "off" triggers need programming
in conjunction with the audio and sometimes for odd reasons they seem to
get divorced from each other in the running order.
Lack of the "off" trigger is the one that causes the trouble of course as
you would never know about missing the "on" trigger.

You should have a timer on the RDS system to cope with that else it
could be on for a year and a day;!.

One local station up in these parts uses direct digital signalling of
the RDS coder but still play the DTMF tones it serves as an announcement
that the traffic bully is on its way, which in Cambridge is "the city's
clogged up and the A14 is borked yet again";(...
--
Tony Sayer

Old January 24th 15, 10:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Peter Duncanson

wrote:

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Probably didn't reach someone who knew what on earth you were on about?
I addressed it to the station manager. Surely that person, as a manager
at the BBC, must have a good grasp of everything for which they have
responsibility.

That must be a candidate for the Best Joke of the Year 2015.

No, the BBC is funded by licence-payers' money. The BBC knows that it
has a sacred duty to use such money wisely, and would never allow any
sort of managerial ineptitude to affect efficiency.

Another candidate for the prize.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old January 24th 15, 07:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

tony sayer wrote:

Sub audible tones?, do tell never heard of those in Broadcast systems.

When we're in polite company, if I sound as if I might be starting to
stray away from the paths of respectable conversation, Hil gives out a
sub-audible tone. No-one else is attuned to it, so only I'm aware of it.
I can't describe the sound. It's a bit like how animals know when
there's going to be an earthquake. It's very frightening.

Old January 25th 15, 08:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Brian Gaff[_2_]

What? Well there you are then. No wonder half of Fleetwood Mac live there.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message
news
In message , Brian Gaff
writes:
Must be Steve Mcgarrett of Hawaii 5.0 finally going round the twist.
Brian

Serves 'em right for using an out-of date version: the current one is
Hawaii 11.5 ... (-:
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"He hasn't one redeeming vice." - Oscar Wilde