"Book Me" +green dot.

Old January 23rd 15, 09:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

Default "Book Me" +green dot.

In article , Max Demian
wrote:
"Indy Jess John" wrote in message

My LG television records to a USB hard drive provided that I use a
specific USB port and I allow the TV to format the disc before first
use.

Windows won't then recognise the disc as anything other than
"unformatted". Linux will read the disc but I can't make any logical
sense of the folder structure or file names, and my version of Linux
Mint doesn't know what to open the files with.

That's how it's supposed to work. It isn't designed to allow recorded
programmes to be transferred to another device.

I'm curious about the phrase "Linux Mint doesn't know...".

That may just mean the filer doesn't know what program to launch and ask to
take them for input.

IJJ: Have you tried getting VLC or similar to run them? Or see if ffmpeg
can make any sense of them? They may just be relying on 'obscurity' rather
than being encrypted/scrambled in some way.

Old January 23rd 15, 09:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Indy Jess John

On 22/01/2015 23:04, Max Demian wrote:
"Indy Jess wrote in message

My LG television records to a USB hard drive provided that I use a
specific USB port and I allow the TV to format the disc before first use.

Windows won't then recognise the disc as anything other than
"unformatted". Linux will read the disc but I can't make any logical
sense of the folder structure or file names, and my version of Linux Mint
doesn't know what to open the files with.

That's how it's supposed to work. It isn't designed to allow recorded
programmes to be transferred to another device.

But if my LG TV gives up the ghost and I buy a Samsung or Panasonic as a
replacement, would I be able to watch the programmes on the disc that
the LG had recorded? Or is this a stealth manufacturer lock-in with
each one imposing their own recording standard, incompatible with anyone
else's?

Old January 23rd 15, 11:06 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
SimonM

On 22/01/15 20:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 20:02:37 +0000, Indy Jess John wrote:

When we bought our Panasonic recently, the sales droid assured us

it
could record to USB.

My LG television records to a USB hard drive provided that I use a
specific USB port and I allow the TV to format the disc before first
use.

That is how our Panasonic works as well, to a USB HDD. Tries 1 GB USB
memory stick "This device is not supported". Same stick but accessed
via the Viera Tools plays the content already on the stick.

Yup. mine plays fine, too.

I have a relatively ancient 21" LCD elsewhere in
the house, with a hard disk recorder built in. I
can copy recordings made on that to a flash
card (via a USB adaptor).

The main Panasonic TV will recognise the card,
either via the same USB adaptor or directly
plugged into the SD card slot it has. If the TV
is on when you plug the card in, it switches
straight over to the media manager screen. The
card is 8GB, formatted as FAT32 on a Linux box.

Despite having a red, Record button at the bottom
of the handset, the Panasonic refuses to record
on the card, and appears to have no menu options
for erasing or formatting it from the TV. I
haven't tried using other filesystems - that
might work, but nothing is greyed-out either.

I think the 'transport' buttons are mainly for
controlling a separate recorder over HDMI. They
provide incomplete control for our Toshiba HD-DVD
player (frustratingly it won't let you navigate
menus), and they also do play/pause/fast for
Netflix.

Old January 23rd 15, 02:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Max Demian

"Indy Jess wrote in message

My LG television records to a USB hard drive provided that I use a
specific USB port and I allow the TV to format the disc before first
use.

Windows won't then recognise the disc as anything other than
"unformatted". Linux will read the disc but I can't make any logical
sense of the folder structure or file names, and my version of Linux
Mint
doesn't know what to open the files with.

That's how it's supposed to work. It isn't designed to allow recorded
programmes to be transferred to another device.

But if my LG TV gives up the ghost and I buy a Samsung or Panasonic as a
replacement, would I be able to watch the programmes on the disc that the
LG had recorded? Or is this a stealth manufacturer lock-in with each one
imposing their own recording standard, incompatible with anyone else's?

More likely the absence of any standard format for files and content that
would work on any machine the user is likely to want to play the files on.

--
Max Demian

Old January 23rd 15, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
tony sayer

In article , John Williamson
scribeth thus
On 22/01/2015 19:57, Bill Wright wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

Like when I have Radio 2 on in the car and Radio Humberside put a
traffic announcement out and Radio Humbersides programs stay on and it
not return to Radio 2?

No. That's usually the radio station forgetting to reset the
appropriate flag at the end of the traffic interrupt.

My complaint about this to R Humberside has gone unanswered.

I believe on some stations, the flag is set automatically by playing the
jingle, (It used to be an audio tone on one of the cartridge tracks.)
and if there's silence at the end of the track, all it takes is for
someone to forget to fade down the now silent track, or in the case of a
cart based jingle unit, for them to forget to stop the cart.

Its done on some stations by the hard drive playout system..
--
Tony Sayer

Old January 23rd 15, 04:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
David[_9_]

On 22/01/2015 14:12, David wrote:
On 22/01/2015 13:35, David Taylor wrote:

I'm new to Freeview HD up to now been only Freesat HD this TV has both.

I have been using Google but for "Book Me" and Green Dot, which had not
helped me.
Adding Freeview as you suggest gets

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/re...eeview-a.shtml

As the above is several years old and is closed and archived I have been
Searching for anything by the BBC and Freeview or others on the present
state and usage of this feature and failed.

Anyone know any up to date articles on Book Me and green button with
regard to it on TV sets?
Regards
David

Old January 23rd 15, 05:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Brian Gaff
writes:
Must be Steve Mcgarrett of Hawaii 5.0 finally going round the twist.
Brian

Serves 'em right for using an out-of date version: the current one is
Hawaii 11.5 ... (-:
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"He hasn't one redeeming vice." - Oscar Wilde
Old January 23rd 15, 05:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , SimonM
writes:
[]
When we bought our Panasonic recently, the sales droid assured us it
could record to USB. This was completely untrue. It will play lots of
formats that are given to it via USB, but recording - no.

(Have you been back for a refund, or partial one?)

TV manufacturers don't provide that because they wouldn't sell
recorders afterwards.

[]
Some of the smaller sets (of which, among high street shops, Maplin seem
to be the only one to sell them; anywhere else you're unlikely to find
less than a 19") _do_ have this facility, though you have to read the
specs very carefully, as more (if not most) do have USB connectivity,
but as SimonM says only for playback. (In fact I think there may only be
one 7" model and one 10" that have record-to-USB ability.)

(Unfortunately, most of these sets - like their less portable cousins -
don't have any more sensitivity, meaning their apparent portability
isn't, except in very strong signal areas.)

Old January 23rd 15, 05:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Bill Wright
writes:
Roger Mills wrote:

Like when I have Radio 2 on in the car and Radio Humberside put a
traffic announcement out and Radio Humbersides programs stay on and it
not return to Radio 2?

No. That's usually the radio station forgetting to reset the
appropriate flag at the end of the traffic interrupt.

It should usually time out after (something like) 3 minutes, though I'm
not sure if that is implemented in the transmitter or the receiver.
There is sometimes suspicion that some stations deliberately "forget" in
order to try to get listeners hooked on the station's output, though in
most cases it's probably not that.

My complaint about this to R Humberside has gone unanswered.

Bill

Probably didn't reach someone who knew what on earth you were on about?

Old January 23rd 15, 06:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Paul Ratcliffe

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 07:48:06 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

My complaint about this to R Humberside has gone unanswered.

I believe on some stations, the flag is set automatically by playing the
jingle, (It used to be an audio tone on one of the cartridge tracks.)
and if there's silence at the end of the track, all it takes is for
someone to forget to fade down the now silent track, or in the case of a
cart based jingle unit, for them to forget to stop the cart.

Today many commercial stations use in band DTMF tones, embedded into the
travel jingle audio as it's played off of the server or effects box. In
this system of course the jingle has to be faded up to air, for the
system to trigger and release properly. However, the Beeb don't use that
system, Mr Ratcliffe might give us chapter and verse on that.......?

Some stations use in band signalling, but using sub-audible tones rather
than DTMF. Don't know more than that other than it has a habit of causing
false triggering on certain programme material.
More enlightened stations (IMHO! which includes the two I oversee) don't use
this rubbish and instead use triggers from the audio playout systems to the
control system (typically using GPIs).
The downside with this is that the "on" and "off" triggers need programming
in conjunction with the audio and sometimes for odd reasons they seem to
get divorced from each other in the running order.
Lack of the "off" trigger is the one that causes the trouble of course as
you would never know about missing the "on" trigger.