"Book Me" +green dot.

Old January 22nd 15, 04:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Ian Jackson[_2_]

Default "Book Me" +green dot.

In message , Max Demian
writes
"David" wrote in message
At 12:59 today Freeview 101 BBC1 HD from Emley Moor during promos before
1pm news at the top right hand corner of screen "Book Me" followed by a
Green Dot appeared for a minute.

If you press Green to get rid of the red dot, how do you get rid of a green
dot?

Sounds like the 'related programme' feature on my PVR, which you get when
you are setting up a programme to record later.

I think 'Back' and/or 'Exit' work on my Manhattan.

However, when I select something to record later in the day, it has
started occasionally suggesting something like "Are you interested in
also recording XXXXXXX?"!!
--
Ian
Old January 22nd 15, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Must be Steve Mcgarrett of Hawaii 5.0 finally going round the twist.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"David" wrote in message
At 12:59 today Freeview 101 BBC1 HD from Emley Moor during promos before
1pm news at the top right hand corner of screen "Book Me" followed by a
Green Dot appeared for a minute.

What is this message please?

I got it at the same time yesterday and it stayed on until I disconnected
the mains for a few minutes, nothing else I tried would get rid of it.

History is it was doing this last weekend but I did not note when it
actually occurred, but on Monday I rang Samsung Support who said they had
a cure for it, they took control of TV over via the internet and reset to
factory defaults and made a change in the engineering menu I was told. I
was assured it would not reoccur but it as.

Have phoned supplier Richer Sounds who are very concerned and their own
engineer will be contacting me. It is something they have not heard of.

It is a 3 week old Samsung smart TV UE55HU7500.

Any ideas?
A Samsung fault or a BBC fault?
Thanks
David

Old January 22nd 15, 06:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Mark Carver

On 22/01/2015 16:53, SimonM wrote:

It's far more likely that pressing green in that context sends
"appointment" data to an external recorder via the control channel of an
HDMI port.

When we bought our Panasonic recently, the sales droid assured us it
could record to USB. This was completely untrue. It will play lots of
formats that are given to it via USB, but recording - no.

My Sony does, I've not actually tried a USB stick, but it certainly
records to a portable HDD via the USB interface.

--
Mark
Old January 22nd 15, 06:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

Roger Mills wrote:

Like when I have Radio 2 on in the car and Radio Humberside put a
traffic announcement out and Radio Humbersides programs stay on and it
not return to Radio 2?

No. That's usually the radio station forgetting to reset the appropriate
flag at the end of the traffic interrupt.

My complaint about this to R Humberside has gone unanswered.

Old January 22nd 15, 07:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Indy Jess John

On 22/01/2015 16:53, SimonM wrote:

When we bought our Panasonic recently, the sales
droid assured us it could record to USB. This was
completely untrue. It will play lots of formats
that are given to it via USB, but recording - no.

TV manufacturers don't provide that because they
wouldn't sell recorders afterwards.

My LG television records to a USB hard drive provided that I use a
specific USB port and I allow the TV to format the disc before first use.

Windows won't then recognise the disc as anything other than
"unformatted". Linux will read the disc but I can't make any logical
sense of the folder structure or file names, and my version of Linux
Mint doesn't know what to open the files with.

The TV will play back its own recordings and will delete such recordings
when instructed to.

Old January 22nd 15, 07:54 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Liquorice[_2_]

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 20:02:37 +0000, Indy Jess John wrote:

When we bought our Panasonic recently, the sales droid assured us

it
could record to USB.

My LG television records to a USB hard drive provided that I use a
specific USB port and I allow the TV to format the disc before first
use.

That is how our Panasonic works as well, to a USB HDD. Tries 1 GB USB
memory stick "This device is not supported". Same stick but accesed
via the Viera Tools plays the content already on the stick.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old January 22nd 15, 08:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
John Williamson

On 22/01/2015 19:57, Bill Wright wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

Like when I have Radio 2 on in the car and Radio Humberside put a
traffic announcement out and Radio Humbersides programs stay on and it
not return to Radio 2?

No. That's usually the radio station forgetting to reset the
appropriate flag at the end of the traffic interrupt.

My complaint about this to R Humberside has gone unanswered.

I believe on some stations, the flag is set automatically by playing the
jingle, (It used to be an audio tone on one of the cartridge tracks.)
and if there's silence at the end of the track, all it takes is for
someone to forget to fade down the now silent track, or in the case of a
cart based jingle unit, for them to forget to stop the cart.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old January 22nd 15, 10:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Max Demian

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 22/01/2015 16:53, SimonM wrote:

When we bought our Panasonic recently, the sales
droid assured us it could record to USB. This was
completely untrue. It will play lots of formats
that are given to it via USB, but recording - no.

TV manufacturers don't provide that because they
wouldn't sell recorders afterwards.

My LG television records to a USB hard drive provided that I use a
specific USB port and I allow the TV to format the disc before first use.

Windows won't then recognise the disc as anything other than
"unformatted". Linux will read the disc but I can't make any logical
sense of the folder structure or file names, and my version of Linux Mint
doesn't know what to open the files with.

That's how it's supposed to work. It isn't designed to allow recorded
programmes to be transferred to another device.

--
Max Demian

Old January 22nd 15, 10:20 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
UnsteadyKen[_4_]

In article: o.uk

Dave Liquorice says...

Tries 1 GB USB
memory stick "This device is not supported". Same stick but accesed
via the Viera Tools plays the content already on the stick.

Possibly the TV is testing the write speed of the stick when you plug it
in and finding it falls below what it deems acceptable, much like
Windows does when assessing a drive for ReadyBoost.

--
Ken O'Meara

List of UK hi-fi & audio dealers:
http://unsteadyken.esy.es/
Old January 23rd 15, 06:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Mark Carver

Roger Mills wrote:

Like when I have Radio 2 on in the car and Radio Humberside put a
traffic announcement out and Radio Humbersides programs stay on and it
not return to Radio 2?

No. That's usually the radio station forgetting to reset the
appropriate flag at the end of the traffic interrupt.

My complaint about this to R Humberside has gone unanswered.

I believe on some stations, the flag is set automatically by playing the
jingle, (It used to be an audio tone on one of the cartridge tracks.)
and if there's silence at the end of the track, all it takes is for
someone to forget to fade down the now silent track, or in the case of a
cart based jingle unit, for them to forget to stop the cart.

When carts were used, some stations would use the tertiary tones
to lift and lower the flag. (The primary tones would park the cart,
ready for its next firing, the secondary tones would normally fire off
the next cart, in triple stack cart players) Signalling from either
secondary or tertiary tones should not have been dependant on the cart
machine being faded up to air (though the other side of the coin was,
that if the cart was fired up in prefade, it would still fire the flag ?)

Today many commercial stations use in band DTMF tones, embedded into the
travel jingle audio as it's played off of the server or effects box. In
this system of course the jingle has to be faded up to air, for the
system to trigger and release properly. However, the Beeb don't use that
system, Mr Ratcliffe might give us chapter and verse on that.......?

--
Mark