BBC Have Broken GetIPlayer

Old October 30th 14, 11:36 AM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim Watts[_3_]

Default BBC Have Broken GetIPlayer

On 30/10/14 11:49, Davey wrote:

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, and I never found the
answer. It's as though they want to make it harder and harder to find
the programme you want.

Netflix: Excellent streaming quality, always works and fairly easy to
get around their catalogue by browsing or searching.

iPlayer: Getting harder IME to find anything and the streaming seems to
drop off randomly. It's only for Dr Who that I even pay my license
(technically I don't even need to as I only watch it in catch-up mode on
iPlayer - but ethically...)

I'm *this* close to dumping the BBC as I find I can always find Netflix
content and it's cheaper.
Old October 30th 14, 11:48 AM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,alt.satellite.tv.europe,uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 29/10/14 21:45, Java Jive wrote:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail...er/006240.html

quote
The BBC have removed the programme data feeds used by get_iplayer, so
search and PVR functions no longer work. There is no programme
information to cache, and it was the cache that supported search and
PVR functions. There is no fix available at this time. You can still
download individual programmes via PID or URL.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/feeds
/quote

To fix this someone will have to obtain from the BBC a Nitro API key. In
the context of what get_iplayer does, I suspect that request will be
denied. Further more I can see the PID label one day disappear under a
level of encryption. Approaching a dead end, me thinks

--
Adrian C
Old October 30th 14, 12:17 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

Tim Watts wrote:

On 30/10/14 11:49, Davey wrote:

I'm *this* close to dumping the BBC as I find I can always find Netflix
content and it's cheaper.

If you do, don't forget to remove TV aerials, and maybe even disassemble
tuners from TVs, else the men in the detector vans and jobsworth judges
will pile on more grief than you'll want to deal with.
Old October 30th 14, 12:19 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim Watts[_3_]

On 30/10/14 13:17, Dave Farrance wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

On 30/10/14 11:49, Davey wrote:

I'm *this* close to dumping the BBC as I find I can always find Netflix
content and it's cheaper.

If you do, don't forget to remove TV aerials, and maybe even disassemble
tuners from TVs, else the men in the detector vans and jobsworth judges
will pile on more grief than you'll want to deal with.

Well, none of that is legally necessary.

But you are right, they will harass me to death because they are *******s.
Old October 30th 14, 12:37 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,alt.satellite.tv.europe,uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin Gregorie

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 21:45:39 +0000, Java Jive wrote:

quote
The BBC have removed the programme data feeds used by get_iplayer, so
search and PVR functions no longer work. There is no programme
information to cache, and it was the cache that supported search and PVR
functions. There is no fix available at this time. You can still
download individual programmes via PID or URL.

If its all so totally borked at the Beeb, why is my Logitech Touch
working better and faster than ever?

OTOH I don't give a stuff about TeeVee. Don't have one. Don't want one.
Too much dross and not enough good stuff to justify the cost.

Radio is the best.

--
[email protected] | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old October 30th 14, 01:15 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:
On 30/10/14 11:49, Davey wrote:

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, and I never found the
answer. It's as though they want to make it harder and harder to find
the programme you want.

Netflix: Excellent streaming quality, always works and fairly easy to
get around their catalogue by browsing or searching.

iPlayer: Getting harder IME to find anything and the streaming seems to
drop off randomly. It's only for Dr Who that I even pay my license
(technically I don't even need to as I only watch it in catch-up mode on
iPlayer - but ethically...)

I'm *this* close to dumping the BBC as I find I can always find Netflix
content and it's cheaper.

Since my main content interests in the iplayer context tend to be concerts
on Radio 3 and various programmes on Radios 4/4extra I have my doubts I'd
prefer 'Netflix' myself. Personally, I'm happy to pay the license fee just
to have such things.

FWIW I do like Dr Who... but mainly of the era of Troughton/Hartnell than
nowdays. (Although I liked Tennent as the Doctor.)

Old October 30th 14, 03:00 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,alt.satellite.tv.europe,uk.tech.digital-tv

This has also broken the Webbie blind persons I player lists as well. They
obviously don't give a **** about us do they? They did this once before and
soon put it back when we all complained. Surely this is quite automatic in
any case?
The snag with the current site is that there seems no way to just get a
listing of audio described tv shows on the current incarnation. Sure you
can tab down the page every time and see if it is, but life is far too short
for this, they have to sort this out.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old October 30th 14, 03:05 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,alt.satellite.tv.europe,uk.tech.digital-tv

Have they actually done this deliberately then, or as I said earlier is it
another cock up. I am effectively now completely without I player as I
relied on the audio described sorting on Webbie to find those shows. I
simply scrolled down the list and played what I wanted as it took me
straight to the actual page and set the accessibility settings
appropriately.
Now there are no lists.

Bloody cheek of it!

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old October 30th 14, 03:13 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,alt.satellite.tv.europe,uk.tech.digital-tv
dave

On 30/10/14 16:05, Brian Gaff wrote:
Have they actually done this deliberately then, or as I said earlier is it
another cock up. I am effectively now completely without I player as I
relied on the audio described sorting on Webbie to find those shows. I
simply scrolled down the list and played what I wanted as it took me
straight to the actual page and set the accessibility settings
appropriately.
Now there are no lists.

Bloody cheek of it!

Brian

It's a deliberate action, though whether it breaks get_iplayer by design
is less certain.

Old October 30th 14, 04:01 PM posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:36:49 +0000
Tim Watts wrote:

On 30/10/14 11:49, Davey wrote:

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, and I never found the
answer. It's as though they want to make it harder and harder to
find the programme you want.

Netflix: Excellent streaming quality, always works and fairly easy to
get around their catalogue by browsing or searching.

iPlayer: Getting harder IME to find anything and the streaming seems
to drop off randomly. It's only for Dr Who that I even pay my license
(technically I don't even need to as I only watch it in catch-up mode
on iPlayer - but ethically...)

I'm *this* close to dumping the BBC as I find I can always find
Netflix content and it's cheaper.

I tried Netflix for a one-month trial, and found that they offered very
very little that I wanted. I had no problems using get_iplayer then, of
course, but the cost of Netflix was certainly no value to me.

--
Davey.