Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync

Old September 13th 14, 08:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync

Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out on
BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

--

Jeff
Old September 13th 14, 09:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

On 13/09/2014 21:40, Jeff Layman wrote:
Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out on
BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

my parents remarked the same - via freesat.

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.
Old September 13th 14, 09:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 21:40:02 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out on
BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

Oh that's a relief, it wasn't just me then. Unless it's something to
do with Panasonic, because I'm using one as well, though it performs
reasonably well on everything else.

Since the change to digital transmission I've become used to a
constant feeling that the sound and picture are not perfectly in sync,
and try my best to ignore it, but this evening it was particularly
bad. I suppose it's just a feature of digital processing that we have
to get used to. It must take a lot of very clever technology to
generate a problem that television never had before.

Old September 14th 14, 07:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Yes, I can imagine. the answer of course is to buy a pair of binoculars, set
up your hd huge screen facing a window, and move away with the sound up till
the image and sound match.

Serwiously though, maybe there needs to be a new knob for the folk who view
hd, called Sound delay.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old September 14th 14, 08:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 14/09/2014 08:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, I can imagine. the answer of course is to buy a pair of binoculars, set
up your hd huge screen facing a window, and move away with the sound up till
the image and sound match.

Serwiously though, maybe there needs to be a new knob for the folk who view
hd, called Sound delay.
Brian

It's not usually a problem. My Humax PVR does make provision for it
though - not with a knob but with a menu item which allows you to
specify "Lip Synch" in 20mS increments.

What was odd about last night though was that the loss of synch only
seemed to occur when Roderick Williams was singing - as though his sound
was being processed in a different way from all of the rest.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old September 14th 14, 11:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice[_3_]

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 09:49:58 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

the loss of synch only seemed to occur when Roderick Williams was
singing

No - I first noticed it when the violinist was playing the Ravel
piece, and then consistently after that e.g. with Roderick Williams.

(We were watching a TV relay in a village hall.)

--
/\/\aurice
Old September 14th 14, 11:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Maurice wrote:
On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 09:49:58 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

the loss of synch only seemed to occur when Roderick Williams was
singing

No - I first noticed it when the violinist was playing the Ravel
piece, and then consistently after that e.g. with Roderick Williams.

(We were watching a TV relay in a village hall.)

I spotted it when the announcer (Katie Derham) was in shot.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old September 13th 15, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice[_3_]

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:31:53 +0000, I wrote:

- I first noticed it when the violinist was playing the Ravel
piece, and then consistently after that e.g. with Roderick Williams.

(We were watching a TV relay in a village hall.)

Same problem (but worse) with this year's TV relay of "Last Night of
the Proms" at the church hall last night.

AT first the audio was just very slightly ahead of video, but by the
time it got to Jonas Kaufmann's rendering of Lehar's "You Are My
Heart's Delight" it was so bad that his voice started some 5 seconds
before his mouth started opening. It was so awful that I had to defocus
my eyes so that I could not see his mouth! Ruined.
Fortunately, just before the fabulous gal in red started belting out
her songs the screen froze momentarily, after which the video & audio
were in precise sync for the rest of the broadcast.

Was this due to some error at the BBC broadcast system, or would it
have been simply a fault at the church's incoming relay system?

--
/\/\aurice
Old September 14th 14, 04:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Roger Mills wrote:

What was odd about last night though was that the loss of synch only
seemed to occur when Roderick Williams was singing - as though his sound
was being processed in a different way from all of the rest.

Maybe he was miming!

Old September 14th 14, 06:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 14/09/2014 17:36, Bill Wright wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

What was odd about last night though was that the loss of synch only
seemed to occur when Roderick Williams was singing - as though his
sound was being processed in a different way from all of the rest.

Maybe he was miming!

Bill

There's a thought!
--