Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33595)

Jeff Layman[_2_] September 13th 14 08:40 PM

Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync

Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out on
BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

--

Jeff

the dog from that film you saw September 13th 14 09:56 PM

On 13/09/2014 21:40, Jeff Layman wrote:
Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out on
BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

my parents remarked the same - via freesat.

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.

Roderick Stewart[_3_] September 13th 14 09:56 PM

Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 21:40:02 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out on
BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

Oh that's a relief, it wasn't just me then. Unless it's something to
do with Panasonic, because I'm using one as well, though it performs
reasonably well on everything else.

Since the change to digital transmission I've become used to a
constant feeling that the sound and picture are not perfectly in sync,
and try my best to ignore it, but this evening it was particularly
bad. I suppose it's just a feature of digital processing that we have
to get used to. It must take a lot of very clever technology to
generate a problem that television never had before.

Rod.

Roger Mills[_2_] September 13th 14 10:28 PM

Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync

On 13/09/2014 21:40, Jeff Layman wrote:
Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out on
BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

Yes, but it wasn't consistent! I first noticed it when Roderick Williams
was singing - it was way out, and I had to set lip synch on my Humax
HDR-T2 to 100mS or more to compensate. Having done that, it was wrong
the other way when Katie Derham was talking. Very odd!
--
Cheers,
Roger

PeterC September 14th 14 06:51 AM

Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 21:40:02 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out on
BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

Katie Dereham did apologise for problems with sound early in the evening.
This was recorded via Freesat on Hummy PVR.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Brian Gaff[_2_] September 14th 14 07:52 AM

Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync

Yes, I can imagine. the answer of course is to buy a pair of binoculars, set
up your hd huge screen facing a window, and move away with the sound up till
the image and sound match.

Serwiously though, maybe there needs to be a new knob for the folk who view
hd, called Sound delay.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Roger Mills[_2_] September 14th 14 08:49 AM

On 14/09/2014 08:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, I can imagine. the answer of course is to buy a pair of binoculars, set
up your hd huge screen facing a window, and move away with the sound up till
the image and sound match.

Serwiously though, maybe there needs to be a new knob for the folk who view
hd, called Sound delay.
Brian

It's not usually a problem. My Humax PVR does make provision for it
though - not with a knob but with a menu item which allows you to
specify "Lip Synch" in 20mS increments.

What was odd about last night though was that the loss of synch only
seemed to occur when Roderick Williams was singing - as though his sound
was being processed in a different way from all of the rest.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Andy Furniss[_3_] September 14th 14 09:51 AM

PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 21:40:02 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely
out on BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

Katie Dereham did apologise for problems with sound early in the
evening. This was recorded via Freesat on Hummy PVR.

Maybe the lipsync/quality issues later were the result of the
panic/workarounds that were needed to fix the initial glitching.

I only recorded the first few minutes of BBC2 HD and SD for geek reasons
and the HD sound was ruined by constant glitching.

Anth[_7_] September 14th 14 10:04 AM

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out on
BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

--

I thought that it was at my end (I watched it via a BenQ 1070 front
projector used in conjunction with a Samsung sound bar) and had to set the

Jim Lesurf[_2_] September 14th 14 11:06 AM

Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync

In article , Andy
Furniss [email protected] wrote:
PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 21:40:02 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out
on BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

Katie Dereham did apologise for problems with sound early in the
evening. This was recorded via Freesat on Hummy PVR.

Maybe the lipsync/quality issues later were the result of the
panic/workarounds that were needed to fix the initial glitching.

I only recorded the first few minutes of BBC2 HD and SD for geek reasons
and the HD sound was ruined by constant glitching.

FWIW I was occupied with other matters last night. So I've recorded the
SDTV BBC1 Freeview second half, but ignored the first half on TV as we now
get the dumbed down 'Scottish Last Night' on BBC2. Plan to listen to the R3
320k stream during the week. Our internet connection isn't reliable enough
over the weekend to listen without breaks.