Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync

Old September 13th 15, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice[_3_]

Default Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:31:53 +0000, I wrote:

- I first noticed it when the violinist was playing the Ravel
piece, and then consistently after that e.g. with Roderick Williams.

(We were watching a TV relay in a village hall.)

Same problem (but worse) with this year's TV relay of "Last Night of
the Proms" at the church hall last night.

AT first the audio was just very slightly ahead of video, but by the
time it got to Jonas Kaufmann's rendering of Lehar's "You Are My
Heart's Delight" it was so bad that his voice started some 5 seconds
before his mouth started opening. It was so awful that I had to defocus
my eyes so that I could not see his mouth! Ruined.
Fortunately, just before the fabulous gal in red started belting out
her songs the screen froze momentarily, after which the video & audio
were in precise sync for the rest of the broadcast.

Was this due to some error at the BBC broadcast system, or would it
have been simply a fault at the church's incoming relay system?

--
/\/\aurice
Old September 13th 15, 12:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Maurice
wrote:
Same problem (but worse) with this year's TV relay of "Last Night of
the Proms" at the church hall last night.

AT first the audio was just very slightly ahead of video, but by the
time it got to Jonas Kaufmann's rendering of Lehar's "You Are My Heart's
Delight" it was so bad that his voice started some 5 seconds before his
mouth started opening. It was so awful that I had to defocus my eyes so
that I could not see his mouth! Ruined. Fortunately, just before the
fabulous gal in red started belting out her songs the screen froze
momentarily, after which the video & audio were in precise sync for the
rest of the broadcast.

Was this due to some error at the BBC broadcast system, or would it
have been simply a fault at the church's incoming relay system?

I tend only to notice errors that are at least a fair fraction of a second.
But my wife can spot tiny synch errors. We watched without detecting the
problem you report. I'm sure we'd have noticed a 5 sec offset! So my guess
is something was wrong with the setup/feed you used.

That said, we get BBC via the BBC 1 Scot HD DVB-T2, so may not see the
same as others get south of the line.

Our problem is that we get denied a DVB-T2 version of the First Half.
Elbowed out by a "tartan and shortbread Prom" replacing it entirely. Have
to resort to get_iplayer to see the first half. Which of course means lower
resolution and lower bits rates.

Old September 13th 15, 01:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

On 13/09/2015 12:37, Maurice wrote:
[...]

well it certainly wasn't like that on my tv - hd via satellite.

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.
Old September 13th 15, 06:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
UnsteadyKen[_4_]

In article:

Maurice says...

but by the
time it got to Jonas Kaufmann's rendering of Lehar's "You Are My
Heart's Delight" it was so bad that his voice started some 5 seconds
before his mouth started opening.

I can replicate this advance audio by watching the HD video and
listening to the SD audio, it is very distracting.
What sort of setup was used at the hall?

--
Ken O'Meara
Old September 14th 15, 09:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice[_3_]

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 19:04:54 +0100, UnsteadyKen wrote:

What sort of setup was used at the hall?

No idea, but they show the Last Night every year, and this church does
a lot of musical events (including the 1st performance of Karl
Jenkins's new composition a few months ago that was relayed on Radio 3
(or was it ClassicFM?)).

--
/\/\aurice
Old September 14th 15, 09:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

I can recall in the early days of digital, that I could see enough if close
to see lips. There seemed to be some very obvious lags and trails. It tended
to show on news items and interviews with politicians etc. It looked like
they were miming to the sound track.

Luckily, one good thing about my current condition is that I don't need hd
or indeed any picture.The problem is then that you get much more critical
with the sound, and the I player sound sounds quite often like an mp3
player of about 15 years ago with all the swizzle and phase errors of that
time. Not quite so bad as the old Real player streams, but not good either.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
In article , Maurice
wrote:
[...]

Electronics
http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scot...o/electron.htm

Old September 14th 15, 12:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice[_3_]

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 11:37:57 +0000, Maurice wrote:

by the
time it got to Jonas Kaufmann's rendering of Lehar's "You Are My Heart's
Delight" it was so bad that his voice started some 5 seconds before his
mouth started opening. It was so awful that I had to defocus my eyes so
that I could not see his mouth! Ruined.

Fortunately this morning I was able to play that back from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0a_3_BReu8

- until (as you can see) the BBC enforced copyright on it...

However, there is a German-only version at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPWwdWI_reE

--
/\/\aurice