Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync

Old September 14th 14, 11:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Maurice[_3_]

Default Last night of the proms - HD sound out of sync

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 09:49:58 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

the loss of synch only seemed to occur when Roderick Williams was
singing

No - I first noticed it when the violinist was playing the Ravel
piece, and then consistently after that e.g. with Roderick Williams.

(We were watching a TV relay in a village hall.)

--
/\/\aurice
Old September 14th 14, 11:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Maurice wrote:
On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 09:49:58 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

the loss of synch only seemed to occur when Roderick Williams was
singing

No - I first noticed it when the violinist was playing the Ravel
piece, and then consistently after that e.g. with Roderick Williams.

(We were watching a TV relay in a village hall.)

I spotted it when the announcer (Katie Derham) was in shot.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old September 14th 14, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 13/09/2014 23:28, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/09/2014 21:40, Jeff Layman wrote:
Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out on
BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

Yes, but it wasn't consistent! I first noticed it when Roderick Williams
was singing - it was way out, and I had to set lip synch on my Humax
HDR-T2 to 100mS or more to compensate. Having done that, it was wrong
the other way when Katie Derham was talking. Very odd!

It was more noticeable with Katie Derham, but I can't remember if video
led sound or it was the other way round.

It leads me to another thought. Are sound sync problems more often seen
with HD? If so, are they likely to be even more frequently seen with the
4K sets which are appearing now?

I assume that these sound sync issues occur only with live
transmissions, and not with recorded transmissions or blu-ray
recordings. Or is that an assumption too far?

--

Jeff
Old September 14th 14, 04:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Roger Mills wrote:

What was odd about last night though was that the loss of synch only
seemed to occur when Roderick Williams was singing - as though his sound
was being processed in a different way from all of the rest.

Maybe he was miming!

Old September 14th 14, 06:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 14/09/2014 17:36, Bill Wright wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

What was odd about last night though was that the loss of synch only
seemed to occur when Roderick Williams was singing - as though his
sound was being processed in a different way from all of the rest.

Maybe he was miming!

Bill

There's a thought!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old September 14th 14, 06:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 14/09/2014 16:09, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 13/09/2014 23:28, Roger Mills wrote:

Yes, but it wasn't consistent! I first noticed it when Roderick Williams
was singing - it was way out, and I had to set lip synch on my Humax
HDR-T2 to 100mS or more to compensate. Having done that, it was wrong
the other way when Katie Derham was talking. Very odd!

It was more noticeable with Katie Derham, but I can't remember if video
led sound or it was the other way round.

What I was trying to say was, that having compensated for Roderick
Williams, that made Katie's sound wrong - and that she would probably
have been ok without compensation.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old September 14th 14, 10:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Yes, I can imagine. the answer of course is to buy a pair of binoculars,
set up your hd huge screen facing a window, and move away with the sound
up till the image and sound match.

Serwiously though, maybe there needs to be a new knob for the folk who
view hd, called Sound delay.

Knob? TVs don't have knobs these days, just complicated menu structures.
Even just adjusting the brightness on my 2011/12 Sony (if the automatic
adjustment by room brightness doesn't get it right) is a pain. Usually I
just draw the curtains. My 1978 Sony had just two sliders - one for volume
and the other for 'picture' - a combination of brightness, contrast and
colour contrast - and extra ones if you wanted behind a panel. The 1998
Panasonic CRT I had in-between never needed anything - it even compensated
for the dark scenes sometimes found in films made to be viewed in the
cinema.

--
Max Demian

Old September 14th 14, 10:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 21:40:02 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out on
BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

Katie Dereham did apologise for problems with sound early in the evening.
This was recorded via Freesat on Hummy PVR.

I think that was about the appalling glitching in the HD sound during the
first 30 minutes or so. Fortunately I had also recorded it in SD with my DVD
recorder.

--
Max Demian

Old September 15th 14, 07:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

wrote:

Just watching the Last Night of the Proms. Lip sync is definitely out on
BBC1HD, but ok on SD. Sound slightly leads video.

This is with a Panasonic PVR DMR-HWT130. Anyone else notice this?

No.

Red Button choice of Parks didn't work when I tried it.

I went to 981 and started the recording then back to HD. There was some
'pop' dross in the 'Parks' to skip.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old September 15th 14, 07:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 14/09/2014 23:39, Max Demian wrote:
The 1998
Panasonic CRT I had in-between never needed anything - it even compensated
for the dark scenes sometimes found in films made to be viewed in the
cinema.

Oh, you mean like the bits in between the adverts in "The Suspicions of
Mr Whicher"... ;-)

--

Jeff