Sony Radio Repair

Old August 17th 14, 06:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default Sony Radio Repair

I have a tiny 23 year-old Sony radio (ICF-SW1) that has developed what
appears to be a standard fault of distorted sound through the speaker
but not via headphones. All the websites I've been to seem to think
it's a capacitor problem and that they all need replacing.

It's a quality bit of kit so I'd like it repaired, but I don't have the
confidence to fiddle about with something so small and do it
successfully myself. Do I have any real alternative but to send it to
the Sony Repair Centre? I'm not sure who else does small electronic
repairs these days or where to look.

Any help gratefully received.

Old August 17th 14, 07:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 18:49:33 +0100, "Norman Wells"
wrote:

I have a tiny 23 year-old Sony radio (ICF-SW1) that has developed what
appears to be a standard fault of distorted sound through the speaker
but not via headphones. All the websites I've been to seem to think
it's a capacitor problem and that they all need replacing.

It's a quality bit of kit so I'd like it repaired, but I don't have the
confidence to fiddle about with something so small and do it
successfully myself. Do I have any real alternative but to send it to
the Sony Repair Centre? I'm not sure who else does small electronic
repairs these days or where to look.

Any help gratefully received.

Well worth repairing, but a professional repair would be uneconomic.

I'd start by replacing C615 & C616 both 47uF

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/R...F-SW1_serv.pdf

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old August 17th 14, 07:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 17/08/2014 18:49, Norman Wells wrote:
Do I have any real alternative but to send it to
the Sony Repair Centre?

Don't send it there. Sony outsourced their consumer repair
function to a series of 'card swappers' quite a while ago.
At best they wouldn't have a clue how to fix it, at worst
they might attempt to fix it !

--
Mark
Old August 17th 14, 10:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 17/08/2014 18:49, Norman Wells wrote:
I have a tiny 23 year-old Sony radio (ICF-SW1) that has developed what
appears to be a standard fault of distorted sound through the speaker
but not via headphones. All the websites I've been to seem to think
it's a capacitor problem and that they all need replacing.

It's a quality bit of kit so I'd like it repaired, but I don't have the
confidence to fiddle about with something so small and do it
successfully myself. Do I have any real alternative but to send it to
the Sony Repair Centre? I'm not sure who else does small electronic
repairs these days or where to look.

Any help gratefully received.

I have one of these and also had the sound distortion problem (although
I only listened through earphones, so was not sure the problems were
identical, as there are comments that the sound distortion is only
through the speaker). I downloaded the service manual, and found the
repair detailed on the web (http://cc-module.com/sw1/sw1.html)

In the end I decided not to go forward with any repair as it was too
complicated, requiring replacement of surface-mount capacitors, and
there was no guarantee that something else wouldn't fail due to its age.
Note the comment here by a US company who /might/ still be doing repairs
(http://www.kiwa.com/SW1.html) "The capacitor replacement is difficult
due to the small components and the extremely tight component layout".
In any case you are looking at least $100 for a repair when shipping
costs are taken into consideration.

This radio was far ahead of its time and no other radio came even close
to its miniaturisation and reception range - and they still don't. In
the end I decided to replace it with a Roberts Ecologic, as - for
better or worse - DAB seemed to be where things were going.

--

Jeff
Old August 18th 14, 09:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Most of the time, Sony just tell you you need to buy their latest version
of it which is bound to be worse as they seem not to design anything like
this themselves these days.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old August 18th 14, 08:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 09:48:42 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Most of the time, Sony just tell you you need to buy their latest version
of it which is bound to be worse as they seem not to design anything like
this themselves these days.
Brian

I knew someone years ago with (I think) the same radio as Norman.
While it was a very good radio it was unable to resolve SSB or CW so
it didn't meet my expectations for a communication receiver.

I think I played around with a signal genny at the second I.F. as a
makeshift BFO.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old August 19th 14, 09:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

wrote:

I have a tiny 23 year-old Sony radio (ICF-SW1) that has developed
what appears to be a standard fault of distorted sound through the
speaker but not via headphones. All the websites I've been to seem
to think it's a capacitor problem and that they all need replacing.

It's a quality bit of kit so I'd like it repaired, but I don't have
the confidence to fiddle about with something so small and do it
successfully myself. Do I have any real alternative but to send it
to the Sony Repair Centre? I'm not sure who else does small
electronic repairs these days or where to look.

Any help gratefully received.

Well worth repairing, but a professional repair would be uneconomic.

I'd start by replacing C615 & C616 both 47uF

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/R...F-SW1_serv.pdf

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I'll be trying this morning to get
a gentleman of the old school, ie someone who knows what a soldering
iron is, to have a look at it. If he won't, I may be forced to have a
go myself, but it's not something I fancy. Where have all the proper
electronics guys gone?

Old August 19th 14, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Norman Wells
scribeth thus
wrote:

[...]

I expect I could "sort" that but I just wouldn't be able to do it
commercially and make a living from it. Two way and other pro radio
comms equipment yes and nowadays just a simple repair on that sort of
thing can be around 80 quid or more trade if done by one of the bigger
firms, but that sort of price on a domestic product as good as what
that might be ?..

Don't think so sorry...
--
Tony Sayer

Old August 19th 14, 10:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Maybe now I know! According to the guy I saw, you now need a licence,
extractor fans, masks, goggles and protective underwear to be allowed to
solder anything commercially, though it's OK at home in private
apparently.

It's a strange world we live in. Anyway, he knows a guy who can, so
I've left it with him.

Old August 19th 14, 08:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ZVictor1

On Sunday, 17 August 2014 06:49:33 UTC-11, Norman Wells wrote:
I have a tiny 23 year-old Sony radio (ICF-SW1) that has developed what

appears to be a standard fault of distorted sound through the speaker

but not via headphones. All the websites I've been to seem to think

it's a capacitor problem and that they all need replacing.

It's a quality bit of kit so I'd like it repaired, but I don't have the

confidence to fiddle about with something so small and do it

successfully myself. Do I have any real alternative but to send it to

the Sony Repair Centre? I'm not sure who else does small electronic

repairs these days or where to look.

Any help gratefully received.

This may be a bit late for you but have a look at ebay item No 111435811215.
The title is Sony ICF-SW1 capacitor replacement service.
It could be what you need.

Cheers
Geoff