Freesat or Freeview for best picture quality?

Old June 5th 14, 10:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Default Freesat or Freeview for best picture quality?

Or cable for that matter.
I have no personal view, but most people i know say that its freesat by
half a mile.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Steve Thackery" wrote in message

Well, what do you reckon? (I'm talking HD, of course)

(PS This is a repeat of an earlier question, because you wouldn't
answer me last time!)

--
SteveT

Old June 5th 14, 11:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Steve Thackery" wrote in message

Well, what do you reckon? (I'm talking HD, of course)

Dunno on HD as I only have Freesat, however on SD satellite is better as
normally there is more bandwidth.

Probably the same for HD.

Old June 6th 14, 06:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 05/06/2014 23:11, Andy Furniss wrote:

I wouldn't say it's deinterlaced at source as it wasn't interlaced in
the first place.

I guess whether it buys you any quality depends somewhat on your TV - my
2010 panasonic plasma doesn't change modes so it's always feeding its
deinterlacer - which is truly adaptive and looks good in tests I've done
from a PC, so I wouldn't call it cheap and having seen w3fdif that the
BBC gave to ffmbc/ffmpeg I wasn't exactly over impressed by that :-)

I guess there may be h264 bitrate vs quality efficiencies from
compressing progressive as progressive, there may also be negative
implications WRT different chroma sub-sampling positions, though I
haven't really thought through or tested if they are real.

I thought I'd originally seen a more detailed paper on the BBC R&D
website on the matter, but all I can find is this ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2011/04...-for-bbc-hd-on

--
Mark
Old June 6th 14, 02:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 11:28:44 -0500, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

Well, what do you reckon? (I'm talking HD, of course)

(PS This is a repeat of an earlier question, because you wouldn't
answer me last time!)

Whichever provides best reception - Freesat for most people?

How bad does signal strength have to be before either Freeview or Freesat
starts to exhibit noticeable artefacts due to low data rate or
error-correction?

Isn't most of the picture quality issue due to the data rate that a
channel/multiplex has been allocated on the different platforms?