Sky at Night

Old February 13th 14, 07:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian_Gaff

Default Sky at Night

So what do you think then? I listened to it, and can understand why they got
that woman in. she is certainly enthusiastic.
However I do find the background music a bit on the pointless side.
I mean, what does it add other than maybe to mask background noises they
did not want to put out or something.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old February 13th 14, 07:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob L

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 08:31:10 -0000, "Brian_Gaff"
wrote:

So what do you think then? I listened to it, and can understand why they got
that woman in. she is certainly enthusiastic.
However I do find the background music a bit on the pointless side.
I mean, what does it add other than maybe to mask background noises they
did not want to put out or something.
Brian

I found it highly annoying, wobbly cameras - panning between
presenters, picture quality more like filmic, my mobius 40 camera
produces better picture quality than what was transmitted.

Looks like they are trying to emulate those News programs where they
have 2 presenters speaking in turn, they should let one or the other
do individual reports.

All in all a poor tribute to the late, great Sir Patrick.

Old February 13th 14, 08:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_2_]

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 08:53:29 +0000, Bob L
wrote:

I found it highly annoying, wobbly cameras - panning between
presenters, picture quality more like filmic, my mobius 40 camera
produces better picture quality than what was transmitted.

Looks like they are trying to emulate those News programs where they
have 2 presenters speaking in turn, they should let one or the other
do individual reports.

BBC Speak

Our research shows that most viewers prefer blah, blah, blah...

/BBC Speak

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old February 13th 14, 09:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

wrote:

Looks like they are trying to emulate those News programs where they
have 2 presenters speaking in turn, they should let one or the other do
individual reports.

They may move toward that once the new presenter has settled in. She's
probably in a situation you'd expect for a newcomer to an established team
arrangement. They already have their ways of working and know each other
and how they've done things. So judge in 6-12 months time once they've had
a chance to adapt.

Old February 13th 14, 09:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rick[_10_]

wrote:

So what do you think then? I listened to it, and can understand why they
got
that woman in. she is certainly enthusiastic.
However I do find the background music a bit on the pointless side.
I mean, what does it add other than maybe to mask background noises they
did not want to put out or something.
Brian

I found it highly annoying, wobbly cameras - panning between
presenters, picture quality more like filmic, my mobius 40 camera
produces better picture quality than what was transmitted.

-------------------

Just a few of the effects that really annoy me are, lurching panning - rapid
in and out zooms - exaggerated 3D type red and green halos - the
superimposed 405 line effect - programmes, such as 'Getting On', made using
a predominantly blue filter and sound so muffled that in some programs it's
virtually impossible to understand much of the dialogue, they must know that
viewers hate it, but seem to responded by doing it even more.

Old February 13th 14, 10:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

That should not be affected by a presenter, ie music and wobbly cameras are
surely the fault and may even be the design preffered, of the producers.
Are they the same team?

It was all a bit yes we know all that, how about telling us something we
don't know.

Email:

"Jim Lesurf" wrote in message
wrote:

Looks like they are trying to emulate those News programs where they
have 2 presenters speaking in turn, they should let one or the other do
individual reports.

They may move toward that once the new presenter has settled in. She's
probably in a situation you'd expect for a newcomer to an established team
arrangement. They already have their ways of working and know each other
and how they've done things. So judge in 6-12 months time once they've had
a chance to adapt.

Electronics
http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scot...o/electron.htm

Old February 14th 14, 11:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Rick wrote:

lurching panning - rapid in and out zooms

Yes! What's going on? They seem to think it's a good idea to emulate
an *amateur* camera operator.

WHY???

--
SteveT
Old February 14th 14, 12:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Taylor[_2_]

On 2014-02-14, Steve Thackery wrote:
Rick wrote:

lurching panning - rapid in and out zooms

Yes! What's going on? They seem to think it's a good idea to emulate
an *amateur* camera operator.

You think they're _emulating_ one?

--
David Taylor
Old February 14th 14, 12:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Steve Thackery
writes
Rick wrote:

lurching panning - rapid in and out zooms

Yes! What's going on? They seem to think it's a good idea to emulate
an *amateur* camera operator.

WHY???

Because it's considered 'artistic' by TV producers.
--
Ian
Old February 14th 14, 02:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
CD

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 08:53:29 +0000, Bob L wrote:

I found it highly annoying, wobbly cameras - panning between
presenters, picture quality more like filmic, my mobius 40 camera
produces better picture quality than what was transmitted.

I started thread on uk.media.tv.misc shortly after it finished, should have
x-posted it here as it is/was a favourite with folks here. I mentioned all
the above points, glad I was right on the filmic picture, someone rebuffed
me for that.
Have a look for the thread "The Sky At Night - Oh dear" on 09/2/14.

Here's what I put:

New home on BBC4, new producer, new presenter, not good.

Not sure if Lucie Green jumped or walked, but her & Lintott had got into
their stride, maybe this new woman will start to relax a bit in future,
she's talking far too fast & is too nervous, she could also do with looking
in a mirror after visiting her wardrobe.

So what was good, Lintott as ever. Pete Lawrence, safe pair of hands to
guide you around the night sky. Out of nowhere though we get Helen
Czerski, now she can go on about Jupiter's weather all night for me.
Excellent delivery, a female Brian Cox I thought.

Bad, wobbly camera, please get the tripod back. Also the picture didn't
look right, I'm no expert, but have they done the film like effect?
Maggie whatsername, there's no doubtuing her credentials, but a presenter
she aint, do I detect a BBC right on agenda here? Not enough ethnic
astronomers?