Studio noise

Old December 29th 13, 03:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default Studio noise

Has anyone noticed or is it just me?

When BBC Breakfast does an interview with someone sitting on
the newsroom gallery at NBH there seems to be considerable
background noise pickup from the newsroom. I don't remember
that when they first started doing such interviews.

Now I notice that Sky News also seems to have 'added sound'
in the background from their newsroom.

Is it just me or have they added effects mics?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 30th 13, 10:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Maybe they are using cheap mics, or maybe they just like ambience. It can
cover up hum and other crap of course.
I vere toward the d first idea. The knowledge is being lost on how to place
and what mics to use. Hyper cardiod upside down work better in some a ways.
People think its a joke!

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old December 30th 13, 12:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Maybe they are using cheap mics, or maybe they just like ambience. It
can cover up hum and other crap of course. I vere toward the d first
idea. The knowledge is being lost on how to place and what mics to use.
Hyper cardiod upside down work better in some a ways. People think its
a joke! Brian

Personal mics work better as omnis. Less chance of 'popping' and less
quality change as the head turns, etc.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 30th 13, 12:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_]

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 13:04:02 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Brian Gaff wrote:
Maybe they are using cheap mics, or maybe they just like ambience. It
can cover up hum and other crap of course. I vere toward the d first
idea. The knowledge is being lost on how to place and what mics to use.
Hyper cardiod upside down work better in some a ways. People think its
a joke! Brian

Personal mics work better as omnis. Less chance of 'popping' and less
quality change as the head turns, etc.

And they are getting so small they can be hidden. The slight
disadvantage is they occasionally pick up noises of bodily functions
other than speech!

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus neural network software http://www.easynn.com

Old December 30th 13, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Brian Gaff wrote:
Maybe they are using cheap mics, or maybe they just like ambience. It
can cover up hum and other crap of course. I vere toward the d first
idea. The knowledge is being lost on how to place and what mics to use.
Hyper cardiod upside down work better in some a ways. People think its
a joke! Brian

Personal mics work better as omnis. Less chance of 'popping' and less
quality change as the head turns, etc.

I suspect the off-stage noise is intentional, to match the visual
intrusion of people walking about behind the newsreader. The producer
would argue that it adds to the excitement and immediacy of the news
presentation.
Old December 30th 13, 01:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message ,
lid writes

Brian Gaff wrote:
Maybe they are using cheap mics, or maybe they just like ambience. It
can cover up hum and other crap of course. I vere toward the d first
idea. The knowledge is being lost on how to place and what mics to use.
Hyper cardiod upside down work better in some a ways. People think its
a joke! Brian

Personal mics work better as omnis. Less chance of 'popping' and less
quality change as the head turns, etc.

I suspect the off-stage noise is intentional, to match the visual
intrusion of people walking about behind the newsreader. The producer
would argue that it adds to the excitement and immediacy of the news
presentation.

London's local radio station, LBC, used to do their early morning
traffic bulletins with some sort of repetitive 'urgent' musical noise
going on in the background. Presumably this was intended to engender in
the listener a sense of urgency. It was often so loud that you could
barely hear what was being said. I think they have dropped the urgent
musical noise, but traffic bulletins are almost always delivered at a
rapid gabble, and you are often hard pushed to absorb whether you are
affected, or not.
--
Ian
Old December 30th 13, 01:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Personal mics work better as omnis. Less chance of 'popping' and less
quality change as the head turns, etc.

And they are getting so small they can be hidden. The slight
disadvantage is they occasionally pick up noises of bodily functions
other than speech!

There have been personal mics smaller than your little finger nail for
ages - over 30 years. Much smaller and the cable would be larger. ;-)

--
*Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year.

Old December 30th 13, 04:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Ian Jackson wrote:

London's local radio station, LBC, used to do their early morning
traffic bulletins with some sort of repetitive 'urgent' musical noise
going on in the background. Presumably this was intended to engender in
the listener a sense of urgency. It was often so loud that you could
barely hear what was being said. I think they have dropped the urgent
musical noise, but traffic bulletins are almost always delivered at a
rapid gabble, and you are often hard pushed to absorb whether you are
affected, or not.

+1 BBC Radio Berkshire's travel news is often unusable for exactly
the same two reasons.

--
Mark
Old December 30th 13, 04:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in
message ...

Brian Gaff wrote:
Maybe they are using cheap mics, or maybe they just like
ambience. It
can cover up hum and other crap of course. I vere toward
the d first
idea. The knowledge is being lost on how to place and
what mics to use.
Hyper cardiod upside down work better in some a ways.
People think its
a joke! Brian

Personal mics work better as omnis. Less chance of
'popping' and less
quality change as the head turns, etc.

And they are getting so small they can be hidden. The
slight
disadvantage is they occasionally pick up noises of bodily
functions
other than speech!

I should have said at the outset that the interviewee on the
gallery at NBH is always wearing a clip-on personal mic and
from recent personal experience of one of these beasties I
can confirm that their pick-up range is little more than a
foot or so. Ergo effects noise must be being added to the
transmission. Why for heavens sake?

Old December 30th 13, 05:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Woody wrote:
I should have said at the outset that the interviewee on the
gallery at NBH is always wearing a clip-on personal mic and
from recent personal experience of one of these beasties I
can confirm that their pick-up range is little more than a
foot or so. Ergo effects noise must be being added to the
transmission. Why for heavens sake?

How much they 'pick up' depends on the gain. Ie, how strong the voice is
of the wearer. If the presenter has a low voice level you'll get more
background noise.

Studios these days can be noisy places. Things like badly designed air
con, computers, lights with cooling fans and servo motors etc. And of
course if it really is a working newsroom, people talking.

--
*And the cardiologist' s diet: - If it tastes good spit it out.