DAB new Crystal Palace etc

Old December 28th 13, 07:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default DAB new Crystal Palace etc

Now we have a new multiplex at Crystal Palace I did a retune over the hols
and found some changes.
Birdsong is back and Jazz fm has two mono channels claiming there is going
to be a relaunch soon. That station has had more incarnations than Dr Who
Anyway, most stations on DAB are in mono I notice, but at least three of the
new ones are in Stereo, Eagle and Eagle 3, two clones of Gold and Capital
with lower budgets, and BBC surrey.
However I suspect that BBC engineers had a pre Christmas party when they did
the station ident text for this as it says, according to my talking radio.
BBC SURRY.
If they need a keyboard with an I key, I will lend them one for a price..
Incidentally not only does having two of the same Jazz FM feeds seem
wasteful, but Smooth also have a stereo and mono feed on DAB.
If they got rid of all the duplication and in my view quite a lot of the
dross, they could reinstate BBC four x etc in Stereo.
There seems to be nobody actually administering all this mess.
I did hear the You and Yours bit during the week and really the presenter
and the critical guests wiped the floor with the so called experts, who
had to admit we were the only country to have gone ahead with old version
of DAB.
They seem loathe to suggest that the new version will come in, but I got the
distinct feeling they know full well it will if it does not all die before
that.
Perhaps they could publish a list of models that do both systems and also
do not need their own generating station to supply the power for the chips.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old December 28th 13, 08:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_8_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

according to my talking radio. BBC SURRY.
If they need a keyboard with an I key, I will lend them one

I instead of E except in Surrey, when the sound is muddy?

Old December 28th 13, 09:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

As I said a few weeks ago, all it needs is some overpaid
bureaucrat in Brussels to decide that DAB+ is to become the
EU standard prior to FM switch off sometime in the future
and the UK will be in deep doo-doo.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 28th 13, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall

In article ,
Brian Gaff writes:
Now we have a new multiplex at Crystal Palace I did a retune
over the hols and found some changes.
Birdsong is back and Jazz fm has two mono channels claiming
there is going to be a relaunch soon. That station has had more
incarnations than Dr Who Anyway, most stations on DAB are in
mono I notice, but at least three of the new ones are in Stereo,
Eagle and Eagle 3, two clones of Gold and Capital with lower
budgets, and BBC surrey. However I suspect that BBC engineers
had a pre Christmas party when they did the station ident text for
this as it says, according to my talking radio. BBC SURRY.

I live in SW Surrey, but I'm not sure which transmitter the DAB radio I
got for my birthday in September is using. However unless my memory is
at fault, BBC Surrey was already available in September, and I noticed
that the small display screen showed the caption "BBC SURRY". So it
can't be a pre-Christmas party that was to blame.
--
John Hall "He crams with cans of poisoned meat
The subjects of the King,
Old December 28th 13, 11:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 08:58:03 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

BBC SURRY.
If they need a keyboard with an I key, I will lend them one for a
price..

Giving us BBC SURRIY ?

I did hear the You and Yours bit during the week and really the
presenter and the critical guests wiped the floor with the so called
experts, who had to admit we were the only country to have gone
ahead with old version

To me, the presenters lost the opportunity to wipe the floor with the
experts, they didn't press when they had points that weren't being
answered, which was most of the time. A non-expert like me was left
feeling little wiser, but convinced that we had got the bad end of the
deal.

--
Davey.

Old December 28th 13, 11:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 09:00:19 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

That was E key, not sure what spellcheck is doing this morning
Brian

Ok, I didn't read ahead.
--
Davey.
Old December 28th 13, 11:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
Now we have a new multiplex at Crystal Palace I did a retune over the hols
and found some changes.
Birdsong is back and Jazz fm has two mono channels claiming there is going
to be a relaunch soon. That station has had more incarnations than Dr Who
Anyway, most stations on DAB are in mono I notice,

Such a crying shame, that would be a worthwhile radio service but in low
bitrate Mono?. No thanks.

I blame Ofcom for not regulating DAB properly and the MONOpolistic
nature of its transmission...

but at least three of the
new ones are in Stereo, Eagle and Eagle 3, two clones of Gold and Capital
with lower budgets, and BBC surrey.
However I suspect that BBC engineers had a pre Christmas party when they did
the station ident text for this as it says, according to my talking radio.
BBC SURRY.
If they need a keyboard with an I key, I will lend them one for a price..
Incidentally not only does having two of the same Jazz FM feeds seem
wasteful, but Smooth also have a stereo and mono feed on DAB.
If they got rid of all the duplication and in my view quite a lot of the
dross, they could reinstate BBC four x etc in Stereo.
There seems to be nobody actually administering all this mess.
I did hear the You and Yours bit during the week and really the presenter
and the critical guests wiped the floor with the so called experts,

..

who
had to admit we were the only country to have gone ahead with old version
of DAB.
They seem loathe to suggest that the new version will come in, but I got the
distinct feeling they know full well it will if it does not all die before
that.
Perhaps they could publish a list of models that do both systems and also
do not need their own generating station to supply the power for the chips.

Tony Sayer

Old December 28th 13, 11:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , John Hall
scribeth thus
In article ,
Brian Gaff writes:
[...]

Is it that they can only fit so many characters in the PI field like 8
for RDS on FM?..
--
Tony Sayer