DAB new Crystal Palace etc

Old December 28th 13, 06:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall

Default DAB new Crystal Palace etc

After hunting on the web for transmitter locations, it looks as though
the one I'm using is most likely to be Guildford, though Midhurst (which
is where I get my Freeview TV from) is also a possibility (but would
that transmitter carry Radio Surrey?).

John Hall (I've top-posted in consideration for your vision problem)

In article ,
Brian Gaff writes:
Really? Interesting. I believe you might be on Reigate perhaps? I
cannot get that from this side of the Downs, near Epsom, so they
put in a feed at Crystal Palace in December.
so can anyone say why this spelling error exists? Could it be
deliberate?
Fit in a car radio display or something stupid.

Brian

"John Hall" wrote in message
Brian Gaff writes:
Now we have a new multiplex at Crystal Palace I did a retune
over the hols and found some changes.
Birdsong is back and Jazz fm has two mono channels claiming
there is going to be a relaunch soon. That station has had more
incarnations than Dr Who Anyway, most stations on DAB are in
mono I notice, but at least three of the new ones are in Stereo,
Eagle and Eagle 3, two clones of Gold and Capital with lower
budgets, and BBC surrey. However I suspect that BBC engineers
had a pre Christmas party when they did the station ident text for
this as it says, according to my talking radio. BBC SURRY.

I live in SW Surrey, but I'm not sure which transmitter the DAB radio I
got for my birthday in September is using. However unless my memory is
at fault, BBC Surrey was already available in September, and I noticed
that the small display screen showed the caption "BBC SURRY". So it
can't be a pre-Christmas party that was to blame.

Old December 28th 13, 07:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"John Hall" wrote in message
After hunting on the web for transmitter locations, it
looks as though
the one I'm using is most likely to be Guildford, though
Midhurst (which
is where I get my Freeview TV from) is also a possibility
(but would
that transmitter carry Radio Surrey?).

Look at the Tx gallery on www.mb21.co.uk where you will find
all of the Tx info that you will ever need.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 28th 13, 08:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall

In article ,
Woody writes:
"John Hall" wrote in message
.. .
After hunting on the web for transmitter locations, it
looks as though
the one I'm using is most likely to be Guildford, though
Midhurst (which
is where I get my Freeview TV from) is also a possibility
(but would
that transmitter carry Radio Surrey?).

Look at the Tx gallery on www.mb21.co.uk where you will find
all of the Tx info that you will ever need.

Thanks.
--
John Hall "He crams with cans of poisoned meat
The subjects of the King,
Old December 28th 13, 09:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 16:17:42 +0000, Scott
wrote:

Okay, you explain why anyone who criticises DAB audio quality on
Feedback is derided.

Because that's BBC policy. What has that got to do with 'audiophiles'?

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old December 28th 13, 10:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Scott wrote:
I've not heard them derided. Just ignored.

However, the vast majority of radio listeners do so on a portable or
clock radio, etc, at home. Where obviously audio quality isn't of much
importance to them. And then there's the ones who just like to moan -
about anything.

No radios in cars then?

Not sure of the figures, but I'd guess at less car radios around with DAB
than household ones. Strange given DAB was expressly developed for mobile
reception.

--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 29th 13, 08:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 23:53:10 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Scott wrote:
I've not heard them derided. Just ignored.

However, the vast majority of radio listeners do so on a portable or
clock radio, etc, at home. Where obviously audio quality isn't of much
importance to them. And then there's the ones who just like to moan -
about anything.

No radios in cars then?

Not sure of the figures, but I'd guess at less car radios around with DAB
than household ones. Strange given DAB was expressly developed for mobile
reception.

Possibly because the sound quality is a bit rubbish? I cannot see
those spending money on an expensive in-car audio system being too
happy if the sound is distorted and in mono.

Maybe someone should undertake research to see if there is a
correlation between low take-up of DAB in vehicles and low bitrates
instead of this uncritical repetition of the mantra that the public
don't care about sound quality.
Old December 29th 13, 08:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

wrote:

Okay, you explain why anyone who criticises DAB audio quality on
Feedback is derided.

Because that's BBC policy. What has that got to do with 'audiophiles'?

Because 'audiophiles' are critical of the policy and defending a
policy inevitably involves distancing oneself from those who criticise
it. Agreeing and disagreeing with a proposition at the same time
creates a logical inconsistency.
Old December 29th 13, 08:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 09:50:13 +0000, Scott
wrote:

Maybe someone should undertake research to see if there is a
correlation between low take-up of DAB in vehicles and low bitrates
instead of this uncritical repetition of the mantra that the public
don't care about sound quality.

There isn't much hope of this as long as the technically ignorant
remain in charge. Instead of engineering expertise expended on fixing
the problem we can expect managers and marketers to continue to lie to
us and tell us that it doesn't need fixing.

Old December 29th 13, 09:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

wrote:

Maybe someone should undertake research to see if there is a
correlation between low take-up of DAB in vehicles and low bitrates
instead of this uncritical repetition of the mantra that the public
don't care about sound quality.

There isn't much hope of this as long as the technically ignorant
remain in charge. Instead of engineering expertise expended on fixing
the problem we can expect managers and marketers to continue to lie to
us and tell us that it doesn't need fixing.

I agree, but the constant repetition of the claim that the public do
not care about sound quality does not assist the situation.
Old December 29th 13, 09:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Scott wrote:
Not sure of the figures, but I'd guess at less car radios around with
DAB than household ones. Strange given DAB was expressly developed for
mobile reception.

Possibly because the sound quality is a bit rubbish? I cannot see
those spending money on an expensive in-car audio system being too
happy if the sound is distorted and in mono.

More likely that most car makers simply won't fit DAB as standard due to
the extra cost.

The idea that every driver demands perfect audio quality is as much a
fallacy as home listeners wanting it. But they may well like the better
reception - if they had the chance to compare.

What I find strange is there seem to be more complaints on this sort of
group about DAB sound quality than about HD TV having a reduced data rate
over the original when it was launched. And that certainly shows too.

--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?