DAB new Crystal Palace etc

Old December 28th 13, 12:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default DAB new Crystal Palace etc

But will they? I find that I hardly use my DAB since it is not sounding as
nice as FM. I imagine thereare a lot of old dabs gathering dust. Why not
just have one mpx running the bbc stuff in the old format and then go plus
and limit the number of stations so we get a good quality dab plus out of
it. surely we deserve that. All this neve mind the quality feel the width is
ridiculous.

Email:

"Woody" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Now we have a new multiplex at Crystal Palace I did a retune over the
hols
and found some changes.
Birdsong is back and Jazz fm has two mono channels claiming there is
going
to be a relaunch soon. That station has had more incarnations than Dr Who
Anyway, most stations on DAB are in mono I notice, but at least three of
the
new ones are in Stereo, Eagle and Eagle 3, two clones of Gold and Capital
with lower budgets, and BBC surrey.
However I suspect that BBC engineers had a pre Christmas party when they
did
the station ident text for this as it says, according to my talking
radio.
BBC SURRY.
If they need a keyboard with an I key, I will lend them one for a price..
Incidentally not only does having two of the same Jazz FM feeds seem
wasteful, but Smooth also have a stereo and mono feed on DAB.
If they got rid of all the duplication and in my view quite a lot of the
dross, they could reinstate BBC four x etc in Stereo.
There seems to be nobody actually administering all this mess.
I did hear the You and Yours bit during the week and really the presenter
and the critical guests wiped the floor with the so called experts, who
had to admit we were the only country to have gone ahead with old
version of DAB.
They seem loathe to suggest that the new version will come in, but I got
the distinct feeling they know full well it will if it does not all die
before that.
Perhaps they could publish a list of models that do both systems and also
do not need their own generating station to supply the power for the
chips.

As I said a few weeks ago, all it needs is some overpaid bureaucrat in
Brussels to decide that DAB+ is to become the EU standard prior to FM
switch off sometime in the future and the UK will be in deep doo-doo.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 28th 13, 12:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Really? Interesting. I believe you might be on Reigate perhaps? I cannot get
that from this side of the Downs, near Epsom, so they put in a feed at
Crystal Palace in December.
so can anyone say why this spelling error exists? Could it be deliberate?
Fit in a car radio display or something stupid.

Email:

"John Hall" wrote in message
Brian Gaff writes:
Now we have a new multiplex at Crystal Palace I did a retune
over the hols and found some changes.
Birdsong is back and Jazz fm has two mono channels claiming
there is going to be a relaunch soon. That station has had more
incarnations than Dr Who Anyway, most stations on DAB are in
mono I notice, but at least three of the new ones are in Stereo,
Eagle and Eagle 3, two clones of Gold and Capital with lower
budgets, and BBC surrey. However I suspect that BBC engineers
had a pre Christmas party when they did the station ident text for
this as it says, according to my talking radio. BBC SURRY.

I live in SW Surrey, but I'm not sure which transmitter the DAB radio I
got for my birthday in September is using. However unless my memory is
at fault, BBC Surrey was already available in September, and I noticed
that the small display screen showed the caption "BBC SURRY". So it
can't be a pre-Christmas party that was to blame.
--
John Hall "He crams with cans of poisoned meat
The subjects of the King,

Old December 28th 13, 12:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Most stations scroll the longer text or switch between two, so for example,
they could have bbc, then surrey, or have it say, BBC local, then scroll in
surrey.
Many stations have now playing as well, but I have noticed this gets stuck
at times. its very irritating listening to it, so I mostly ignore the
talking as most of the time it gets the station wrong. It appears to use two
systems. It either reads the letters one at a time which is a bit like
listening to a child learning to read, or it has a stab in the dark at
selecting it from a list it has already voiced at manufacture, presumably
based on the original channels these occupied, which is now totally shot to
hell, so one gets lots of XFMs mostly all Christian paint drying stuff, or
Hindi music recorded under a cushion on a Binatone cassette recorder.

Email:

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , John Hall
scribeth thus
In article ,
Brian Gaff writes:
[...]

Is it that they can only fit so many characters in the PI field like 8
for RDS on FM?..
--
Tony Sayer

Old December 28th 13, 12:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I think they saw they wer not going to get anywhere, which was pretty
obvious to me at least, you could almost hear the exasperation in the
pauses. I thought it was almost a comedy. I guess they did not want to
completely dis the guys, for whatever reason. Mayeb they thought what is
the point, things will play out how they want in any case as nobody is
really listening. That is certainly the case for the quality of even FM.
Radio 2 is just full of pumping compressors and nasty sounding interviews
and music with a 2 db dynamic range.
Would anyone actually, realise what good actually is nowadays with
surround systems with effects built in.

Email:

"Davey" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 08:58:03 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

BBC SURRY.
If they need a keyboard with an I key, I will lend them one for a
price..

Giving us BBC SURRIY ?

I did hear the You and Yours bit during the week and really the
presenter and the critical guests wiped the floor with the so called
experts, who had to admit we were the only country to have gone
ahead with old version

To me, the presenters lost the opportunity to wipe the floor with the
experts, they didn't press when they had points that weren't being
answered, which was most of the time. A non-expert like me was left
feeling little wiser, but convinced that we had got the bad end of the
deal.

--
Davey.

Old December 28th 13, 01:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 13:21:23 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

But will they? I find that I hardly use my DAB since it is not sounding as
nice as FM. I imagine thereare a lot of old dabs gathering dust. Why not
just have one mpx running the bbc stuff in the old format and then go plus
and limit the number of stations so we get a good quality dab plus out of
it. surely we deserve that. All this neve mind the quality feel the width is
ridiculous.

It's because audiophile has become a term of abuse.
Old December 28th 13, 02:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 14:00:07 +0000, Scott
wrote:

It's because audiophile has become a term of abuse.

Don't be silly.

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old December 28th 13, 03:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

wrote:

It's because audiophile has become a term of abuse.

Don't be silly.

Think what happened was certain snake oil sellers - the ones who do
special mains cables and so on - referred to their product as audiophile.
Which rather changed the meaning of it.

--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 28th 13, 03:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

wrote:

It's because audiophile has become a term of abuse.

Don't be silly.

Okay, you explain why anyone who criticises DAB audio quality on
Feedback is derided.
Old December 28th 13, 03:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

wrote:

It's because audiophile has become a term of abuse.

Don't be silly.

Okay, you explain why anyone who criticises DAB audio quality on
Feedback is derided.

I've not heard them derided. Just ignored.

However, the vast majority of radio listeners do so on a portable or clock
radio, etc, at home. Where obviously audio quality isn't of much
importance to them. And then there's the ones who just like to moan -
about anything.

--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Old December 28th 13, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 16:38:14 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

wrote:

It's because audiophile has become a term of abuse.

Don't be silly.

Okay, you explain why anyone who criticises DAB audio quality on
Feedback is derided.

I've not heard them derided. Just ignored.

However, the vast majority of radio listeners do so on a portable or clock
radio, etc, at home. Where obviously audio quality isn't of much
importance to them. And then there's the ones who just like to moan -
about anything.

No radios in cars then?