Samsung 55" OLED TV

Old December 27th 13, 12:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Samsung 55" OLED TV

Saw one of these in John Lewis today. Simply stunning picture, but
still not sure why it is curved.
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ke5...lasses/p641811

And what would I do with that 1 change out of seven grand?!

Detailed review he
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ke55s9c-201310273395.htm

--

Jeff
Old December 27th 13, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
Saw one of these in John Lewis today. Simply stunning picture, but
still not sure why it is curved.

Most TVs are 'stunning' in the shop. It's only when you get them home and
watch a variety of material the flaws show up.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 27th 13, 01:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 14:33:06 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Jeff Layman wrote:
Saw one of these in John Lewis today. Simply stunning picture, but
still not sure why it is curved.

Most TVs are 'stunning' in the shop. It's only when you get them home and
watch a variety of material the flaws show up.

Also there is a question over the lifetime of OLED screens, which are
alleged to fade relatively quickly. This might not be a serious
problem with a smartphone that's discarded after two or three years,
but before spending that amount of money on a TV I'd want some sort of
guarantee as to its working life.
Old December 27th 13, 01:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:41:38 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Saw one of these in John Lewis today. Simply stunning picture, but
still not sure why it is curved.
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ke5...lasses/p641811

And what would I do with that 1 change out of seven grand?!

Detailed review he
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ke55s9c-201310273395.htm

The answer probably is "Because they can".

OLED is flexible so it's trivial to do it.

Large cinema screens are often curved in the horizontal plane and
sometimes the vertical as well, no doubt the movie industry tells the
viewers it is to enhance their involvement in the picture in some non-
specified way, but the real reason was to help eliminate pincushion
distortion and focusing errors at the extremities, from projected
celluloid.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 27th 13, 04:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

It also means that the edges are the same distance from your
eyes as the centre so (a) the edges will be in the same
focus and you will be more aware of peripheral activity and
(b) if you look to the side of the screen you don't refocus
so it is much less tiring to watch.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 27th 13, 04:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

On 27/12/2013 13:41, Jeff Layman wrote:
Saw one of these in John Lewis today. Simply stunning picture, but
still not sure why it is curved.
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ke5...lasses/p641811

And what would I do with that 1 change out of seven grand?!

Detailed review he
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ke55s9c-201310273395.htm

#

can't help but feel they are curved because they can - unlike with a lcd
set.
if i was stumping up the money i'd want a flat one - i don't fall for
their viewing position arguments at all.

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.
Old December 27th 13, 05:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 17:18:54 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

That's undoubtedly true for the usherette serving ice cream in the
central aisle ;-)
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 27th 13, 05:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johny B Good[_2_]

wrote:

Saw one of these in John Lewis today. Simply stunning picture, but
still not sure why it is curved.
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ke5...lasses/p641811

And what would I do with that 1 change out of seven grand?!

Treat yourself to an HDMI cable from PoundLand?

--
Regards, J B Good
Old December 27th 13, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan

On 27/12/2013 17:18, Woody wrote:

It also means that the edges are the same distance from your
eyes as the centre so (a) the edges will be in the same
focus and you will be more aware of peripheral activity and
(b) if you look to the side of the screen you don't refocus
so it is much less tiring to watch.

In most domestic room/sitting arrangements it only allows one person to
sit in the optimum position.

I suspect its a fashion item and bucks the trend of making the TVs
thinner and thinner so that they can hang flat on the wall.