Samsung 55" OLED TV

Old December 27th 13, 07:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Samsung 55" OLED TV

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
Saw one of these in John Lewis today. Simply stunning picture, but
still not sure why it is curved.

Most TVs are 'stunning' in the shop. It's only when you get them home and
watch a variety of material the flaws show up.

It's the same at a party. With girls I mean.

Old December 27th 13, 07:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Woody wrote:

It also means that the edges are the same distance from your
eyes as the centre so (a) the edges will be in the same
focus and you will be more aware of peripheral activity and
(b) if you look to the side of the screen you don't refocus
so it is much less tiring to watch.

I think that beyond about 20 foot your eyes don't change focus much, if
at all.

Old December 27th 13, 10:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:41:38 +0000
Jeff Layman wrote:

And what would I do with that £1 change out of seven grand?!

Teach them grammar?
".... you'll forget your watching a screen."

--
Davey.

Old December 28th 13, 08:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

On 28/12/2013 08:20, Dave Farrance wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

On 27/12/2013 14:42, lid wrote:

Also there is a question over the lifetime of OLED screens, which are
alleged to fade relatively quickly. This might not be a serious
problem with a smartphone that's discarded after two or three years,
but before spending that amount of money on a TV I'd want some sort of
guarantee as to its working life.

Yes, remember the 'O' stands for organic !

The "O" being molecules like tris(8-hydroxyquinolinato)aluminium
which is technically an "organic" molecule. So "organic" doesn't imply a
shelf-life like the veggies in your refrigerator, but with new technology
the life-time of the product has to be estimated from accelerated aging
tests rather than real life.

the type of person who spends 7000 on a tv is the type of person who
will want to do the same in four years time for the next new model - not
someone who wants a set for 25 years.
compare that to my parents - they only jetissoned their wooden sided gec
tv about 10 years ago when a fault caused it to blast out at full volume
unless you wrapped an elastic band around the volume knob.

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.
Old December 28th 13, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

Ian Jackson wrote:

Dave Farrance writes

The "O" being molecules like tris(8-hydroxyquinolinato)aluminium
which is technically an "organic" molecule. So "organic" doesn't imply a
shelf-life like the veggies in your refrigerator, but with new technology
the life-time of the product has to be estimated from accelerated aging
tests rather than real life.

When I were a lad, 'organic chemistry' was about things that contain
carbon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_chemistry

Yes, if you "google" the fancy luminescent molecule that I mentioned,
you'll find images of it that are the typical interlinked hexagonal
carbon-ring structure with various other atoms here and there.
Old December 30th 13, 03:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul

Jeff Layman wrote:

And what would I do with that 1 change out of seven grand?!

Now (only?) 4,999 in Curry's by the way.

Paul

Old December 30th 13, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul

"Paul" wrote in message
o.uk...

Jeff Layman wrote:

And what would I do with that 1 change out of seven grand?!

Now (only?) 4,999 in Curry's by the way.

Paul

Hang on though, I'm looking at an LG set, didn't think there would be two
models of curved 55" OLED TVs !

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...61480-pdt.html