Comment on content

Old December 27th 13, 08:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Comment on content

This Christmas to be brutally frank, the TV has been a complete waste of
time. Mostly repeats, compilations or new stuff with badly written scripts,
or films that do not really stand up as being great.

Do not big stars do Christmas any more?

Bah Humbug.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old December 27th 13, 09:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall

In article ,
Brian Gaff writes:
This Christmas to be brutally frank, the TV has been a complete waste of
time. Mostly repeats, compilations or new stuff with badly written scripts,
or films that do not really stand up as being great.

It's been like that for many years.

Do not big stars do Christmas any more?

I don't think they do.

I thought that "Fantasia" on Christmas Eve, shown in its entirety for
the first time on TV, was a highlight. It was occasionally rather twee,
but for the most part was excellent, with some brilliant artwork.

I also particularly enjoyed Mark Gatiss's documentary about MR James.
(His adaption of "The Tractate Middoth" not so much. There was nothing
much wrong with the adaptation, but it's one of James' weaker stories,
the plot heavily reliant on an outrageous coincidence.)
--
John Hall "He crams with cans of poisoned meat
The subjects of the King,
Old December 27th 13, 10:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:35:47 +0000
John Hall wrote:

In article ,
Brian Gaff writes:
This Christmas to be brutally frank, the TV has been a complete
waste of time. Mostly repeats, compilations or new stuff with badly
written scripts, or films that do not really stand up as being great.

It's been like that for many years.

Do not big stars do Christmas any more?

I don't think they do.

I thought that "Fantasia" on Christmas Eve, shown in its entirety for
the first time on TV, was a highlight. It was occasionally rather
twee, but for the most part was excellent, with some brilliant
artwork.

I have never seen 'Fantasia', but my wife said that it was cut short
on Christmas Eve, she was waiting for one particular scene that never
appeared.

--
Davey.
Old December 27th 13, 12:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
This Christmas to be brutally frank, the TV has been a complete waste
of time. Mostly repeats, compilations or new stuff with badly written
scripts, or films that do not really stand up as being great.

Do not big stars do Christmas any more?

Surely Xmas is more about being with family and friends than watching TV -
so hardly in the interests of the company to spend big money on it?

--
*If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 27th 13, 12:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 11:13:37 +0000, Davey
wrote:

I have never seen 'Fantasia', but my wife said that it was cut short
on Christmas Eve, she was waiting for one particular scene that never
appeared.

Possibly. IMDB says 125 mins, as does my DVD of what claims to be
Disney's original uncut version, but the BBC transmission was 2 hours.

On the other hand, my DVD is Region 1 so presumably also NTSC,
therefore shown at the correct frame rate of 24fps, while a 25fps
broadcast might also have had the film running at 25fps, as this is
the usual practice with film. A shortening of 5 minutes would be
roughly what to expect. Which scene was missing?

Old December 27th 13, 01:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

wrote:

I have never seen 'Fantasia', but my wife said that it was cut short
on Christmas Eve, she was waiting for one particular scene that never
appeared.

Possibly. IMDB says 125 mins, as does my DVD of what claims to be
Disney's original uncut version, but the BBC transmission was 2 hours.

On the other hand, my DVD is Region 1 so presumably also NTSC,
therefore shown at the correct frame rate of 24fps, while a 25fps
broadcast might also have had the film running at 25fps, as this is
the usual practice with film. A shortening of 5 minutes would be
roughly what to expect. Which scene was missing?

Rod.

I think that she may have misplaced the scene, as it was the Sorcerer's
Apprentice. She was expecting it near the end, which is the part we
watched, but it was not shown there, but all the reviews say it was
included. Unless they cut it off early for us East Anglians! Where in
the layout of the film is this scene?
--
Davey.
Old December 27th 13, 01:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Davey
wrote:

I think that she may have misplaced the scene, as it was the Sorcerer's
Apprentice. She was expecting it near the end, which is the part we
watched, but it was not shown there, but all the reviews say it was
included.

Yes, I have seen it in the broadcast version. It isn't near the end of the
film.

Old December 27th 13, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

I have never seen 'Fantasia', but my wife said that it was cut short
on Christmas Eve, she was waiting for one particular scene that never
appeared.

Possibly. IMDB says 125 mins, as does my DVD of what claims to be
Disney's original uncut version, but the BBC transmission was 2 hours.

I've recorded it on DVD but not watched it yet. The PAL VHS version I've got
says it is 115 minutes (actually timed at 112 minutes).

On the other hand, my DVD is Region 1 so presumably also NTSC,
therefore shown at the correct frame rate of 24fps, while a 25fps
broadcast might also have had the film running at 25fps, as this is
the usual practice with film. A shortening of 5 minutes would be
roughly what to expect. Which scene was missing?

I think that she may have misplaced the scene, as it was the Sorcerer's
Apprentice. She was expecting it near the end, which is the part we
watched, but it was not shown there, but all the reviews say it was
included. Unless they cut it off early for us East Anglians! Where in
the layout of the film is this scene?

According to the original programme supplied with the VC, and my own
timings, the sequence is as follows:

5m: Bach's Toccata and Fugue
14m: Nutcracker
28m: Sorcerer's Apprentice
38m: Rite of Spring
1h5: Pastoral Symphony
1h27: Dance of the Hours
1h39: Night on Bald Mountain
1h47: Ave Maria.

--
Max Demian

Old December 27th 13, 06:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall

wrote:

[...]

Checking on Wikipedia, it's the third section. It was definitely shown
(as indeed were all the others). The BBC would hardly have omitted the
film's most famous segment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasia_(film)
Old December 27th 13, 10:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 19:18:19 +0000
John Hall wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, all. I will pass on the message. You all know how "Well, you
were wrong..." conversations go!

--
Davey.