Downton Abbey

Old December 26th 13, 06:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike O'Sullivan[_2_]

Default Downton Abbey

Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating
a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.
Old December 26th 13, 09:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall

In article ,
Mike O'Sullivan writes:
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs
Patmore eating a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

I didn't see the episode. Are you sure it was a Cornetto and not an
"ordinary" cornet, which have been around at least since my childhood in
the 1950s and probably far longer?
--
John Hall "He crams with cans of poisoned meat
The subjects of the King,
Old December 26th 13, 10:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 10:15:12 +0000, John Hall
wrote:

I didn't see the episode. Are you sure it was a Cornetto and not an
"ordinary" cornet, which have been around at least since my childhood in
the 1950s and probably far longer?

I love it!

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old December 26th 13, 10:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

Mike O'Sullivan writes:
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs
Patmore eating a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

I didn't see the episode. Are you sure it was a Cornetto and not an
"ordinary" cornet, which have been around at least since my childhood in
the 1950s and probably far longer?

The ice cream cone was introduced in the late-1899s/early-1900s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_cre..._in_popularity

It's not clear from that article when ice cream would have become
available at the beach.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old December 26th 13, 10:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Pearson

Mike O'Sullivan writes:
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs
Patmore eating a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

I didn't see the episode. Are you sure it was a Cornetto and not an
"ordinary" cornet, which have been around at least since my childhood in
the 1950s and probably far longer?

The ice cream cone was introduced in the late-1899s/early-1900s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_cre..._in_popularity

It's not clear from that article when ice cream would have become
available at the beach.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

I know my mother had ice-cream on the beach at Margate in the late 1920s -
not sure if it was a cone or a wafer. There was no other kind.

Old December 26th 13, 11:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 11:59:37 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
wrote:

I know my mother had ice-cream on the beach at Margate in the late 1920s -
not sure if it was a cone or a wafer. There was no other kind.

Somewhere there is a photograph of me eating an ice cream cone taken on
the beach at Westgate on Sea in August 1939.

Old December 26th 13, 11:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Mike O'Sullivan writes:
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs
Patmore eating a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

I didn't see the episode. Are you sure it was a Cornetto and not an
"ordinary" cornet, which have been around at least since my
childhood in the 1950s and probably far longer?

The ice cream cone was introduced in the late-1899s/early-1900s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_cre..._in_popularity

It's not clear from that article when ice cream would have become
available at the beach.

But there is nothing to suggest that it would not have been. It would,
after all, have been an ideal location.
The cornet used by Mrs. Patmore does look like an ordinary cornet.

--
Davey.
Old December 26th 13, 11:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_]

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 07:28:21 +0000, Mike O'Sullivan
wrote:

Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating
a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

Ice Cream cones have been around for over two hundred years. Cornetto
was quite late.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus neural network software http://www.easynn.com

Old December 26th 13, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

wrote:

Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating
a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

Ice Cream cones have been around for over two hundred years.

Ice cream was around in India for several centuries.
Chatsworth has ice cream making parefinalia from the 18th century.
Cones are more recent, but over 100 years.

Cornetto was quite late.

Indeed and not Italian either...

Steve

OTOH there are sometimes anachronisms in films and TV programs - e.g. MK
light switches appearing in a Dutch house during WWII in "A bridge too far".

Old December 26th 13, 06:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

On 26/12/2013 07:28, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating
a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

I did think there was a lack of continuity in an outside scene with a
milkman in the background.

Every time the camera showed him, the sequence of actions seemed to be:
1. Cart with two large churns on left, small churn on right. Milkman
takes nearest large churn off cart.
2. Next shot milkman walks up to cart, two large churns on it!
2. Next scene no large churns!

Richard