Downton Abbey

Old December 27th 13, 08:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default Downton Abbey

And whilst we are off at a tangent, did anyone watch Death
Comes To Pemberley last night?

Front of house scenes were Castle Howard (for our friends
'darn sarf' its about a third of the way to Scarborough from
York) but the rear of house scene was Chatsworth is sunny
Derbyshire.

The Colonel (the chap from Silent Witness) implied he was
from or they were in Derbyshire but the lady of the house at
some point said something about being in Hertfordshire.
Someone showed a picture of the Colonel's home - a seaside
castle - of which we were only given a glimpse of a drawing
but it looked suspiciously like Bamborough Castle in
Northumberland.

A quick Google for the locations showed that it was filmed
in Yorkshire (bar Chatsworth of course) - probably why the
end credit showed 'Scene Yorkshire' as being involved - but
the main 'credits' were given as a promotion for
Humberside/East Yorkshire and especially Beverley. I saw
only two shots taken in a town, probably 30 seconds total,
which could have been Beverley, the other town and cottage
shots having been taken at the Rydale Folk museum which,
like Castle Howard, is very firmly in North Yorkshire.

Continuity? Pah!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 27th 13, 08:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Maybe Dr Who has changed his Tardis into an Ice Cream Van now?

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Mike O'Sullivan" wrote in message
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating a
Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

Old December 27th 13, 08:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 09:12:34 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

Continuity? Pah!

It isn't worth worrying about. Just watch Anna Maxwell Martin.

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old December 27th 13, 08:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Hi Ho Silver, Away.

I'd have thought that was embedded in the brain of anyone who saw it? Roy
Rogers had all his Horses called Trigger.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Derek F" wrote in message
On 26/12/2013 21:35, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Derek F
writes
On 26/12/2013 07:28, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating
a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.
In Call the Midwife they made a mistaken reference to the The Lone
Ranger and his horse Trigger.
Derek.

'Call The Midwife' is set in the early 50s - so 'The Lone Ranger' could
well have been seen on UK TV. I well remember watching it myself (at a
friend's house, in the NE of England) around 1954-ish, so it was
probably on well before that in the London area. Of course, any
reference to 'Trigger' could have been a mistake (either you meant
'Silver', or you heard it wrongly, or the scriptwriter got it wrong).

I did not hear it wrongly. It was the scriptwriters error. I also took it
to mean that the character who said it meant that Nurse Chummy Browne
looks a bit horsey.
The Lone Ranger first appeared in Movie Serials in 1938 and 1939. I
remember seeing them at the Gaumont Saturday cinema matinees just after
the War.
Prior to then it was a long running American radio series.
Derek.

Old December 27th 13, 08:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Alan White wrote:

It isn't worth worrying about. Just watch Anna Maxwell Martin.

Slightly odd looking woman, I think. By the way, does anyone else
think she looked pregnant? Definitely the early signs of a bump, I
thought.

--
SteveT
Old December 27th 13, 08:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 22:56:17 +0000, Graham. wrote:

'Call The Midwife' is set in the early 50s - so 'The Lone Ranger' could
well have been seen on UK TV. I well remember watching it myself (at a
friend's house, in the NE of England) around 1954-ish, so it was
probably on well before that in the London area. Of course, any
reference to 'Trigger' could have been a mistake (either you meant
'Silver', or you heard it wrongly, or the scriptwriter got it wrong).

It's also possible that the character got it wrong. Lots of people get
things wrong about current TV programmes which are popular but which
they don't pay much attention to themselves.

Rod.

I love that last idea, and no doubt the writer would give you that
explination if asked.

I would find it a lot more credible than the usual fictitious universe
in which everybody gets everything right, and everybody remembers the
exact years when things happened. Sporting events and pop records
appear to be the favourite historical markers, even though in real
life most people are not faultless repositories of this sort of pub
quiz information.

Old December 27th 13, 10:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 07:28:21 +0000, Mike O'Sullivan
wrote:

Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating
a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

Ice Cream cones have been around for over two hundred years. Cornetto
was quite late.

No help to the present discussion, but the soft ice cream in a cornet that
became popular in the early 60s was pioneered by a customer of my dad's.
It was utterly disgusting stuff.

Bill

It was invented by Margaret Hilda Roberts in the early 1950's.

I thought you were a huge fan of her's?

Old December 27th 13, 11:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_2_]

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 03:58:49 -0600, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

By the way, does anyone else
think she looked pregnant? Definitely the early signs of a bump, I
thought.

I didn't notice but Lesley did.

Old December 27th 13, 11:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 09:07:35 +0000
Derek F wrote:

On 27/12/2013 00:46, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 00:09:44 +0000
Derek F wrote:

On 26/12/2013 21:51, John Hall wrote:
In article ,
Ian Jackson writes:
In message , Derek F lordpilrig
@NOXgmail.com writes
On 26/12/2013 07:28, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs
Patmore eating a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.
In Call the Midwife they made a mistaken reference to the The
Lone Ranger and his horse Trigger.
Derek.

'Call The Midwife' is set in the early 50s - so 'The Lone Ranger'
could well have been seen on UK TV. I well remember watching it
myself (at a friend's house, in the NE of England) around
1954-ish, so it was probably on well before that in the London
area. Of course, any reference to 'Trigger' could have been a
mistake (either you meant 'Silver', or you heard it wrongly, or
the scriptwriter got it wrong).

Or the character was supposed to get it wrong. Trigger was Roy
Rogers' horse IIRC, but it would be easy for someone who wasn't
too well up on their cowboys (which I imagine would apply to most
midwives, if it was a midwife who said it) to make a mistake.

Roy Roger movies were being shown in Britain at that time and
everyone knew of him. He was better know than The Lone Ranger. Roy
Rogers, Dale Evans and Trigger toured the Moss Empire circuit in
1954. The midwives probably also read of the well publicised news
of them taking a Scottish orphan back to America with them.
Derek.

Trigger is now in The Roy Rogers Museum, or at least, he was some
years ago, when it was in California. The Museum has since moved to
Branson, Missouri, and Trigger went too.
http://www.royrogers.com/museum.html
I saw Trigger in California, and very good he looked, too!

We went to the Californian museum in 1982.
The Branson one is now closed and Trigger's preserved remains sold
for $266,500 to a TV company who planned to open another museum.
Derek.

Oh dear! I saw the Wikipedia comment about the move to Branson being a
last attempt to remain solvent, so it must not have worked.
We passed through Branson at Easter 1991, and it was still in the
developement stages, lots of mud, etc. We didn't stop at any of the
Playhouses,but did go up an observation tower outside the town.

--
Davey.