Downton Abbey

Old December 26th 13, 07:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_4_]

Default Downton Abbey

On 26/12/2013 07:28, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating
a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

In Call the Midwife they made a mistaken reference to the The Lone
Ranger and his horse Trigger.
Derek.
Old December 26th 13, 08:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Derek F
writes
On 26/12/2013 07:28, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating
a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

In Call the Midwife they made a mistaken reference to the The Lone
Ranger and his horse Trigger.
Derek.

'Call The Midwife' is set in the early 50s - so 'The Lone Ranger' could
well have been seen on UK TV. I well remember watching it myself (at a
friend's house, in the NE of England) around 1954-ish, so it was
probably on well before that in the London area. Of course, any
reference to 'Trigger' could have been a mistake (either you meant
'Silver', or you heard it wrongly, or the scriptwriter got it wrong).
--
Ian
Old December 26th 13, 08:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 21:35:25 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Derek F
writes
On 26/12/2013 07:28, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating
a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

In Call the Midwife they made a mistaken reference to the The Lone
Ranger and his horse Trigger.
Derek.

'Call The Midwife' is set in the early 50s - so 'The Lone Ranger' could
well have been seen on UK TV. I well remember watching it myself (at a
friend's house, in the NE of England) around 1954-ish, so it was
probably on well before that in the London area. Of course, any
reference to 'Trigger' could have been a mistake (either you meant
'Silver', or you heard it wrongly, or the scriptwriter got it wrong).

It's also possible that the character got it wrong. Lots of people get
things wrong about current TV programmes which are popular but which
they don't pay much attention to themselves.

Old December 26th 13, 08:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall

In article ,
Ian Jackson writes:
In message , Derek F lordpilrig
writes
On 26/12/2013 07:28, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating
a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

In Call the Midwife they made a mistaken reference to the The
Lone Ranger and his horse Trigger.
Derek.

'Call The Midwife' is set in the early 50s - so 'The Lone Ranger'
could well have been seen on UK TV. I well remember watching it
myself (at a friend's house, in the NE of England) around 1954-ish,
so it was probably on well before that in the London area. Of
course, any reference to 'Trigger' could have been a mistake
(either you meant 'Silver', or you heard it wrongly, or the
scriptwriter got it wrong).

Or the character was supposed to get it wrong. Trigger was Roy Rogers'
horse IIRC, but it would be easy for someone who wasn't too well up on
their cowboys (which I imagine would apply to most midwives, if it was a
midwife who said it) to make a mistake.
--
John Hall "He crams with cans of poisoned meat
The subjects of the King,
Old December 26th 13, 09:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 07:28:21 +0000, Mike O'Sullivan
wrote:

Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating
a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

Ice Cream cones have been around for over two hundred years. Cornetto
was quite late.

No help to the present discussion, but the soft ice cream in a cornet
that became popular in the early 60s was pioneered by a customer of my
dad's. It was utterly disgusting stuff.

Old December 26th 13, 09:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 21:50:36 +0000, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 21:35:25 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Derek F
writes
[...]

Rod.

I love that last idea, and no doubt the writer would give you that
explination if asked.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 26th 13, 11:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_4_]

On 26/12/2013 21:35, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Derek F
writes
On 26/12/2013 07:28, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
Anybodu notice the anachronism in last night's show? Mrs Patmore eating
a Cornetto in the final scene on the beach.

In Call the Midwife they made a mistaken reference to the The Lone
Ranger and his horse Trigger.
Derek.

'Call The Midwife' is set in the early 50s - so 'The Lone Ranger' could
well have been seen on UK TV. I well remember watching it myself (at a
friend's house, in the NE of England) around 1954-ish, so it was
probably on well before that in the London area. Of course, any
reference to 'Trigger' could have been a mistake (either you meant
'Silver', or you heard it wrongly, or the scriptwriter got it wrong).

I did not hear it wrongly. It was the scriptwriters error. I also took
it to mean that the character who said it meant that Nurse Chummy Browne
looks a bit horsey.
The Lone Ranger first appeared in Movie Serials in 1938 and 1939. I
remember seeing them at the Gaumont Saturday cinema matinees just after
the War.
Prior to then it was a long running American radio series.
Derek.
Old December 26th 13, 11:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_4_]

On 26/12/2013 21:51, John Hall wrote:
@NOXgmail.com writes
[...]

Roy Roger movies were being shown in Britain at that time and everyone
knew of him. He was better know than The Lone Ranger. Roy Rogers, Dale
Evans and Trigger toured the Moss Empire circuit in 1954. The midwives
probably also read of the well publicised news of them taking a Scottish
orphan back to America with them.
Derek.
Old December 26th 13, 11:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Ian Jackson writes:
[...]

Trigger is now in The Roy Rogers Museum, or at least, he was some years
ago, when it was in California. The Museum has since moved to Branson,
Missouri, and Trigger went too.
http://www.royrogers.com/museum.html
I saw Trigger in California, and very good he looked, too!

--
Davey.

Old December 27th 13, 08:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_4_]

Ian Jackson writes:
[...]

We went to the Californian museum in 1982.
The Branson one is now closed and Trigger's preserved remains sold for
$266,500 to a TV company who planned to open another museum.
Derek.