BT vs Virgin

Old December 23rd 13, 05:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

Default BT vs Virgin

One of their stupid arrangements is that it is cheaper to
have B/B and phone than to have B/B alone. If you have phone
and B/B you get FTA TV free, and for a small upgrade

I think thats done to encourage you to receive calls on VM and of course
to use it outgoing as they get a cut for the call termination change so
a mate of mine who works for them said...

Dunno if thats strictly true?..

charge/rental you can have a Tivo box which is a 500Gb PVR
which permits three programmes to be recorded at once whilst
you view one already recorded. I think I also read that they
are now supplying HD boxes as standard, but if not just keep
your eyes open for one of their HD offers where you get the
box free and just pay the postage. You also get the catch-up
channels (iPlayer, 4OD etc) f.o.c. and as far as I can tell
at or close to original quality although not in HD.

I have the phone service on the weekend plan but rarely use
it. It does have the advantage that calls to VM mobiles are
free (I think it may be both ways) during the free call
periods. As they make a 15p (?) call connection charge,
depending on your phone usage it may be cheaper to take
their all calls free (up to 60min) option - what BT used to
call Option 3 - where the call connection charge does not
apply. There is no VoIP limitation on VM so if you want to
make cheaper calls there lies an option, but you cannot use
alternative call routers (such as 18185 or 1866) and for
that reason I kept my BT line.

As Brian said I too sometimes think their contention is too
high: download a large file (talking say 100Mb) at 07:00 and
it is lightning fast - I often see as much as 39Mb on a
nominal 30Mb feed - but try that at 19:00 and it will often
(relatively) crawl. Throttling is applied but only on
weekday late afternoons/evenings and all day weekends and
only after you have exceeded 3600Mb in one period. The
throttling is then time limited depending by how much you
have exceeded the limits. In practice I have never seen it.

Yes, they are not the cheapest,

Dunno.. seem to be overall decently priced..

yes it may be a pain dealing
with fault reporting,

Tried BT in recent times;?(...

but overall their speed is good and
reliability is excellent. Do be aware however that as VM is
a conglomeration of many original cable systems - Nynex,
Dircon, Telwest etc - the QoS can depend to some extent
where you live.

Indeed:!...

Here in Harrogate and where my daughter
lives in Bath the original install standard was high but in
Leeds (a different original company)

Weren't they both Yorkshire cable then Jones cable then Bell
Cablemedia?..?..

it is much less so, so
you see a lot of complaints from there. Have a look at
www.nthellworld.com for (often poor) opinions.

Finally not many people know that VM (as was NTL) host
several other ISPs, such as Which? and IMSMC Sainsburys.
They handled their own e-mail until earlier this year but it
is now farmed out to Google. Usenet groups get low priority
in the VM firmament so if you want decent NG access use one
of the free NG servers such as eternal-september.

Good luck.

--
Tony Sayer

Old December 23rd 13, 07:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

I think Bell Cablemedia did both Leeds and Harrogate/York
but at different times and in different entities, eventually
becoming part of C&W which was eventually sold to NTL. When
I was first part of NTL the cable operation for Yorkshire
was handled from the old Bell Cablemedia head end at
Seacroft in Leeds IIRC - I went there to pick up my new
Orange phone and to be trained how to use it and me a comms
enginer!!! Yorkshire Cable I think was Bradford (and
Sheffield?) and was eventually subsumed by Telewest.

Certainly, having been involved in the maintenance of the
fibre infrastructure, that installed in Hg and York was
seriously better than that in Leeds. We spent all of our
callouts in Leeds and rarely visited the others.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 26th 13, 05:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

I think Bell Cablemedia did both Leeds and Harrogate/York
but at different times and in different entities, eventually
becoming part of C&W which was eventually sold to NTL. When
I was first part of NTL the cable operation for Yorkshire
was handled from the old Bell Cablemedia head end at
Seacroft in Leeds IIRC - I went there to pick up my new
Orange phone and to be trained how to use it and me a comms
enginer!!! Yorkshire Cable I think was Bradford (and
Sheffield?) and was eventually subsumed by Telewest.

Certainly, having been involved in the maintenance of the
fibre infrastructure, that installed in Hg and York was
seriously better than that in Leeds. We spent all of our
callouts in Leeds and rarely visited the others.

Remember that time very well, we installed a large Two way radio net for
them aerials at Leeds and at a Pye telecom site just to the south of
Harrogate tho can't remember exactly where it was now, lovely
countryside anyway...

In later times we had a base station on the go at Eston Nab in
Teesside!..
--
Tony Sayer

Old December 26th 13, 06:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

It would have been Briscoerigg at the side of a farm (or the
same name) on a road junction sort of SW of HG - know it
well.

As part of a deal with HBC in the 80's, NEGas were allowed
to put a trunked radio site on a HP gas pipeline takeoff
site about 250m away provided they supplied room for site
sharers so that Briscoerigg could be demolished. Until the
farm was refurbished into modern accommodation (barn
conversion as well) about two years ago the old building
(originally a railway wagon I think) was still there.

Philips (as they were by then) built a new site up the side
road (now erroneously called Brisco Ridge Lane) in the 90's
and moved their site sharers (BTP and RAM Data) there but
since Airwave there have been no PMR users, just as stack of
cellular and links and a big C&W switch. The countryside is
still magnificent.

Eston - ah, I'm sure you remember driving through the byre
on the way up? Car would stink for days afterwards. Don't
think there is much if any PMR on there now save an RNLI
paging repeater, but that too had a tower upgrade about 20
years ago and is now covered in cellular, links, and local
radio broadcast. Fantastic views though.

Ah, those were the days.

Old December 27th 13, 12:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

Remember that time very well, we installed a large Two way
radio net for
them aerials at Leeds and at a Pye telecom site just to
the south of
Harrogate tho can't remember exactly where it was now,
lovely
countryside anyway...

In later times we had a base station on the go at Eston
Nab in
Teesside!..

It would have been Briscoerigg at the side of a farm (or the
same name) on a road junction sort of SW of HG - know it
well.

Thats the one..

As part of a deal with HBC in the 80's, NEGas were allowed
to put a trunked radio site on a HP gas pipeline takeoff
site about 250m away provided they supplied room for site
sharers so that Briscoerigg could be demolished. Until the
farm was refurbished into modern accommodation (barn
conversion as well) about two years ago the old building
(originally a railway wagon I think) was still there.

Philips (as they were by then) built a new site up the side
road (now erroneously called Brisco Ridge Lane) in the 90's
and moved their site sharers (BTP and RAM Data) there but
since Airwave there have been no PMR users,

OK suppose theres not a lot of call for wide area PMR there not unusual
these days..

And I suppose the mighty Arqiva own it so it will be a kings ransom to
go there;(..

just as stack of
cellular and links and a big C&W switch. The countryside is
still magnificent.

U bet...

Eston - ah, I'm sure you remember driving through the byre
on the way up? Car would stink for days afterwards. Don't
think there is much if any PMR on there now save an RNLI
paging repeater, but that too had a tower upgrade about 20
years ago and is now covered in cellular, links, and local
radio broadcast. Fantastic views though.

Yes remember all that!..

Ah, those were the days.

Indeed they were...

--