OT bags

Old December 19th 13, 11:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

Default OT bags

On 19/12/13 10:21, Max Demian wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message

Only half agree. Without doubt, many (?most) people recycle their plastic
bags but I walk my dogs on a beach every morning and from Easter until the
autumn, the beach is littered with supermarket bags. Also, when I'm
running along country lanes the hedgerows and ditches are clogged with
bags. Anything that can be done to lessen this blight gets my vote.

It's perverse the way dog owners hang their bags of dog **** from branches.
They'll just stay the if the dog deposited its excrement on the ground it
would be gobbles up in a trice.

+1

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old December 19th 13, 11:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 19/12/13 11:22, Mizter T wrote:
On 19/12/2013 06:00, Bill Wright wrote:
It's time start saving your supermarket bags. From next October they
will be 5p each. This is because of the stupid greenies. I have a large
box in the basement and I put my bags in there. I use them for dog ****,
clinical waste, badly soiled laundry, bowls of food for freezing,
disposable nappies, collecting apples and tomatoes, all sorts of things.
When they are banned I will have to buy bags. These will be made from
much thicker plastic so will cause more waste. I've made enquiries and I
will be able to get bags for clinical waste from the NHS. This will cost
me nothing but will cost the taxpayers a lot, because everyone will get
onto it. The greenies are stupid ****s.

I think it is the duty of all right-thinking people to do all they can
to subvert and sabotage all greeny-influenced legislation. I go out of
my way to do this.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

And that is something I am actually concerned about. 99% of green
legislations is utter crap. And is becoming recognized as such.

This is good.

1% of it though, is worth having, and I am with you on this. Plastic
bags do more harm than good. Paper or hessian both work, and were what
we used before. Paper carrier bags with string handles? remember those?

Old December 19th 13, 11:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 06:00:57 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

It's time start saving your supermarket bags. From next October they
will be 5p each. This is because of the stupid greenies. I have a large
box in the basement and I put my bags in there. I use them for dog ****,
clinical waste, badly soiled laundry, bowls of food for freezing,
disposable nappies, collecting apples and tomatoes, all sorts of things.
When they are banned I will have to buy bags. These will be made from
much thicker plastic so will cause more waste. I've made enquiries and I
will be able to get bags for clinical waste from the NHS. This will cost
me nothing but will cost the taxpayers a lot, because everyone will get
onto it. The greenies are stupid ****s.

I think it is the duty of all right-thinking people to do all they can
to subvert and sabotage all greeny-influenced legislation. I go out of
my way to do this.

Bill

In Northern Ireland we have had the 5p levy on single-usecarrier bags
(paper as well as plastic) since April this year. It seems to be working
well.

This is the information about the levy that was published earlier this
year.
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/baglevy

More detail:
http://www.doeni.gov.uk/index/protec...te/baglevy.htm

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old December 19th 13, 11:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 02:11:17 -0800 (PST), Jonathan
wrote:

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:01:17 AM UTC, Woody wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message 's
[...]

The daft bit is that plastic could be replaced with recycled paper which
will, in time, biodegrade, but they are going to charge for them as well!

*

By the way Bill, you forgot the newspapers that you put out in them for
recycling. Now there's a paradox if ever there was one.

*

Apparently the energy costs of making paper bags is far higher than the flimsy plastic ones.

Which is part of the reason that paper carrier bags are subject to the
5p levy in Northern Ireland along with plastic ones.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old December 19th 13, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Define "working well". In Eire, which has had the levy for several
years, consumption of bags has risen, not fallen.

We weren't best pleased when given a paper bag for some newly purchased
books when it was ****ing with rain outside in Dublin some years ago.

Tim

Old December 19th 13, 12:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Peter Duncanson

wrote:

[...]

In terms of single-use bags used the figures so far released for the
first three month period the usage seems to have dropped to about 25% of
what it was. On the basis of casual observation in the supermarket,
convenience stores and shops that I use I'd estimate the drop to be much
greater. People are using either their own bags or multiple-use bags
sold by the retailers, or are carrying small numbers of items unbagged.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old December 19th 13, 12:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
NY

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
In Northern Ireland we have had the 5p levy on single-usecarrier bags
(paper as well as plastic) since April this year.

Why is there a levy on paper bags which are biodegradable? If the levy is
attempt to reduce the use of plastic bags because they are not
biodegradable, then why are supermarkets not encouraged to supply
alternative paper single-use bags which do not suffer from the problem?

I resent having to carry a bulky bag-for-life with me on the off-chance that
I might want to buy something. Too much of modern life requires you to plan
ahead (bag for life, buying railway tickets in advance to get best fare,
etc) instead of allowing you to be impulsive and spur-of-the-moment.

We always re-use supermarket carriers for lining rubbish bins (eg in the
kitchen, one for general landfill rubbish like packaging, and another for
food waste and vegetable peelings that can be composted) as a free
alternative to buying a roll of bin bags. Once the levy is introduced, quite
apart from having to buy a large number of bags for life, to accommodate
everything that we buy at one go, we'll have to spend even more money buying
rolls of binliner bags that we used to get for free as single-use carrier
bags.

And all because some plebs can't be arsed to throw away their carrier bags
in the bin after using them.

Old December 19th 13, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
John Williamson

On 19/12/2013 13:34, NY wrote:
"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
In Northern Ireland we have had the 5p levy on single-usecarrier bags
(paper as well as plastic) since April this year.

Why is there a levy on paper bags which are biodegradable? If the levy
is attempt to reduce the use of plastic bags because they are not
biodegradable, then why are supermarkets not encouraged to supply
alternative paper single-use bags which do not suffer from the problem?

Because the paper bags do not biodegrade in modern rubbish tips. They
actually endure as long as plastic ones in the anaerobic, dark
conditions there. The only benefit is that if you use a paper bag to
wrap your dog**** in before hanging it on the hedge, it will quickly
fall apart, letting the normal biological processes take care of the
excrement.

Paper bags also cause more air pollution and CO2 to be emitted during
their manufacture and transport than plastic.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old December 24th 13, 11:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wymsey

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 01:48:21 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

That's a typical greeny 'we know best' argument. It's up to me to decide
what I find necessary in my life, not you. Given the minuscule
environmental impact of a plastic bag the individual should be allowed
to decide for himself.

And all the millions who cannot care a sod.

Shopping bags are so easily made of of scraps of material - just three
rectangles and two more to make handles, even a man could stop
pontificating for 10 mins and make one!

--
M0WYM
Sales @ radiowymsey
Old December 24th 13, 12:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

wrote:
Given the minuscule
environmental impact of a plastic bag the individual should be allowed
to decide for himself.

The environmental impact of a single plastic bag is indeed minuscule.
However it is the totality of plastic bags that has to be considered.

Scaling up from the number of bags used annually in Northern Ireland
(300m) to the larger population of England there would be about 9,000
million single use carrier bags used in England each year.

A single use carrier bag weighs about 10 grams.

That means that the total weight of such bags used in England annually
would be 90 million kilograms which is nearly 100 thousand tons.

(I hope I have the calculations right.)

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)