OT bags

Old December 19th 13, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
D.M.Chapman[_2_]

Default OT bags

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:

I dug out some stuff from the loft the other day. A supermarket bag from
20 years ago was in VERY tiny pieces despite being stored in total
darkness. I suspected a mouse at first but other plastic bags were still
intact

Tesco ones? They had a spell of "degradable" (they carefully avoided saying
"Biodegradable" I noticed - not sure of the implications there!) bags - we
had a load in the office. The ones that had day light were ok, the ones
in the dark almost turned to powder when you touched them.

I assume the UV kept the plastic ok in some way? I thought it was normally
the other way around but then some white paint yellows indoors so I guess
it's similar?

Darren

Old December 19th 13, 08:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 19/12/13 06:00, Bill Wright wrote:
It's time start saving your supermarket bags. From next October they
will be 5p each. This is because of the stupid greenies. I have a large
box in the basement and I put my bags in there. I use them for dog ****,
clinical waste, badly soiled laundry, bowls of food for freezing,
disposable nappies, collecting apples and tomatoes, all sorts of things.
When they are banned I will have to buy bags. These will be made from
much thicker plastic so will cause more waste. I've made enquiries and I
will be able to get bags for clinical waste from the NHS. This will cost
me nothing but will cost the taxpayers a lot, because everyone will get
onto it. The greenies are stupid ****s.

I think it is the duty of all right-thinking people to do all they can
to subvert and sabotage all greeny-influenced legislation. I go out of
my way to do this.

Bill

we now have about 5 hessian ones bought at the S/market and they work
just fine.

SWMBO steals the one the vegetables go in for use as general storage.

Golly. Hessian wasn't in the dictionary the spell checker uses. Except
capitalised.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old December 19th 13, 08:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Max Demian

"Bill" wrote in message

Is the charge for bags planned for just supermarkets, or will it apply to
all shops? I asked in the local chippy and they said it didn't apply to
them.

There is a number of exceptions:
"Axe-men and goldfish enthusiasts among those to escape 5p bag levy"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25240097

--
Max Demian

Old December 19th 13, 09:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Surely these days most bags seem to just disintegrate in any case. I thought
this idea had fixed the problem. If they want to stop crap they need to get
real about getting rid of packaging that cannot have other uses unlike bags.
That transparent hard see through stuff for a start, they said it could not
be done, but I notice Duracell have got rid of it, and others should take
note i feel.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old December 19th 13, 09:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jonathan[_2_]

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:01:17 AM UTC, Woody wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message 's
[...]

The daft bit is that plastic could be replaced with recycled paper which
will, in time, biodegrade, but they are going to charge for them as well!

*

By the way Bill, you forgot the newspapers that you put out in them for
recycling. Now there's a paradox if ever there was one.

*

Apparently the energy costs of making paper bags is far higher than the flimsy plastic ones.

Jonathan

Old December 19th 13, 09:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Max Demian

"Tim+" wrote in message

Only half agree. Without doubt, many (?most) people recycle their plastic
bags but I walk my dogs on a beach every morning and from Easter until the
autumn, the beach is littered with supermarket bags. Also, when I'm
running along country lanes the hedgerows and ditches are clogged with
bags. Anything that can be done to lessen this blight gets my vote.

It's perverse the way dog owners hang their bags of dog **** from branches.
They'll just stay the if the dog deposited its excrement on the ground it
would be gobbles up in a trice.

--
Max Demian

Old December 19th 13, 09:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Max Demian

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

What is less well known is that the latest generation of plastic carrier
bags are somewhat biodegradable over time and as such not quite the long
term nuisance that the older ones were.

I hate the 'degradable' bags. Especially when they encourage you to re-use
them - put them away and they fall apart by the time you use them. Ryman's
are bad in this way.

--
Max Demian

Old December 19th 13, 09:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Max Demian

On 19/12/2013 06:00, Bill Wright wrote:
It's time start saving your supermarket bags. From next October they
will be 5p each. This is because of the stupid greenies. I have a large

ITYM you don't like it because it conflicts with your "trash the planet
for fun and profit" paranoid right wingnut beliefs.

I think stupid right whingers are far more dangerous to the environment.

Just because the greens are in favour of something does not automatically
make it wrong. There are way too many plastic bags and for that matter
disposable take away meal containers in the hedgerows.

It's wrong because it's irrelevant to the environment [1] and means you have
to carry a pocket of plastic bags around just in case you decide to buy
something on the spur of the moment.

[1] 0.27% of landfill: http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/12709

"Plastic bags are an outward reflection of the ease with which people can
buy goods and take them home. People now have the disposable income to enter
a shop unexpectedly and buy a load of stuff, and plastic bags mean they can
rest assured they will have the means to carry their purchases. How often do
people returning home from work decide, on a whim, to make a quick stop at
Tesco Express to buy a few items of food? How frequently, perhaps on a
journey past Oxford Street, are we drawn into a sale by a piece of
attractive clobber? Such nonchalant consumption would be made more
difficult, perhaps more expensive, without shops' provision of handy, free
plastic bags."

--
Max Demian

Old December 19th 13, 09:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
[email protected]

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 06:00:57 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

It's time start saving your supermarket bags. From next October they
will be 5p each. This is because of the stupid greenies. I have a large
box in the basement and I put my bags in there. I use them for dog ****,
clinical waste, badly soiled laundry, bowls of food for freezing,
disposable nappies, collecting apples and tomatoes, all sorts of things.
When they are banned I will have to buy bags. These will be made from
much thicker plastic so will cause more waste. I've made enquiries and I
will be able to get bags for clinical waste from the NHS. This will cost
me nothing but will cost the taxpayers a lot, because everyone will get
onto it. The greenies are stupid ****s.

I think it is the duty of all right-thinking people to do all they can
to subvert and sabotage all greeny-influenced legislation. I go out of
my way to do this.

Whatever happened to conventional shopping bags? We have always used
them rather than the throw-away plastic ones. They aren't expensive
and will soon pay for themselves at 5p a use. Plus they don't suddenly
tear when carrying heavy bottles.
Old December 19th 13, 10:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Mizter T

[...]

Couldn't disagree with you more.