BBC Mux problem - Cedar Court Hotel, Harrogate

Old December 17th 13, 06:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

Default BBC Mux problem - Cedar Court Hotel, Harrogate

Don't suppose that's a premise you look after, Woody?

We were there over the weekend and the BBC mux was coming and going like
a good un Sat/Sun. Did suggest to them I could recommend a good aerial
engineer......

Richard
Old December 17th 13, 07:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Dickie mint" wrote in message ...
Don't suppose that's a premise you look after, Woody?

We were there over the weekend and the BBC mux was coming and going like
a good un Sat/Sun. Did suggest to them I could recommend a good aerial
engineer......

Richard

I think beautiful downtown Harrogate is a bit far for Bill, but I do know a local lad who's quite good!

Harrogate - at least the town and the west - is a difficult area of Emley. I live east of the town nearer to Knaresborough where my path is essentially unobstructed. If you use Mac's page at
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...Calculator.php
and use the map ref of SE301554 which is not far off for the CC you will see that part of Harrogate known as Pannal Ash gets in the way and it won't help that there is a goodly degree of tree cover around there.

Of course its no good telling the management - they won't do anything. I was in Cardiff earlier this year helping with frequency clearance at Wenvoe and staying at a city centre hotel. I told the staff/manager that after Tuesday night they would have to retune every TV in the building but they wouldn't have it as they had not be told by their HQ even though they had seen it advertised locally. Next morning, lo one mux is missing and loads of people complaining. I stuck out my metaphorical tongue as I left :-))

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old December 18th 13, 10:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Martin wrote:

Ditto Premier Inn in Rotherham, which has satellite TV but only provides seven
channels.

You could have popped in here for a cuppa!

Old December 19th 13, 12:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Woody wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in
message ...
wrote:
On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 11:31:06 +0000, Bill Wright

wrote:

Martin wrote:

Ditto Premier Inn in Rotherham, which has satellite TV but only

provides seven
channels.

The usual cause of that is that either it has a frequncy shifted
distribution system that still uses analogue, or (more likely) they
are using networked distribution which costs too much to upgrade to
a high enough speed to handle more channels. Think for a minute
about binary bits and the number 7?

Hotel systems are wondrous in their diversity. However in all cases
where demodulation and remodulation are used there is a significant cost
per channel.

Post-switchover the most sensible and economical method is for the
system to carry all the local terrestrial muxes as received (not
channel-changed or otherwise buggered about with) plus a number of muxes
carrying the chosen in-house channels. This also solves the problem of
providing radio, except for local stations.
There are fewer problems associated with the carriage of off-air
terrestrial muxes as received than there used to be with the carriage of
off-air terrestrial analogue channels as received. This is because
(a) An all-DTT system has 20dB more 'headroom', than analogue, so levels
can be more generous given the same amplification and network losses.
(b) DTT has far fewer problems with pre-echo. This was always a major
bugbear with analogue in the upstairs rooms facing the transmitter.

Systems using a mix of analogue and digital are a nightmare, not least
because the guests often can't figure out how to change from one to the
other.

Old December 23rd 13, 01:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_8_]

Johny B Good wrote:

Stephen wrote:

I thought people used curtains????

Is that a reference to the "Crusty Curtains" episode of "Two Pints of
Lager and A Packet of Crisps" sitcom?

I presume Roger's Profanisaurus pre-dates Two Pints?
And most likely some other source pre-dates the profanisaurus ...

Old December 23rd 13, 07:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article , Woody wrote:
"Stephen" wrote in message

Take a look at this regarding having a clean up.....

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_...unk-your-penis

Gordon Bennett!! I never even thought that mumsnet would
be like that. Wow!!

I know!

What with all the government-lobbying, Daily-Mail-reading think-of-the
childrening sentiment you usually hear from this direction, this is the
sort of filth that should be filtered out by DC's amazing filth filter.

It could corrupt someone!! Terrible!!! I'm writing to my MP in green crayon
as we speak!!
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk