OTB... Video problem and a laugh...

Old November 24th 13, 06:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default OTB... Video problem and a laugh...

Has anyone come across this one that can give me a clue.

I am running XP SP3. I have just loaded Family Tree Maker 2014
which is specified as suitable for XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

When I start the prog a small box appears in the middle of the
screen with a 'running line' showing that the application is
initialising. Whilst the box is present the screen goes black for
about a second seven times leaving just a square white block in
the top left corner and a similar one in the lower right: this
latter block is the mouse but will only move up and down. When
the initialisation box disappears the software runs correctly.

I've had this before with other progs. Has anyone any idea what
the cause could be? All my video drivers etc are up to date, and
my AV is not objecting.

The laugh?

I rang the www.ancestry.co.uk (now the programme owner) helpline
and got through to a very nice ladyperson. She asked me to take a
screenshot of the screen when the problem was present, i.e. a
screenshot of a black screen? Sorry to say it but she was Irish.
:-))

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com