Dear Bill

Old November 15th 13, 04:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
MikeS

Default Dear Bill

I appreciate your knowledge of TV aerials and distribution systems and value
your relevant posts as well as your web site. However, I wish you could
restrain yourself from using the uk.tech newsgroups to post your views on
hundreds of other topics.

Why not send them to the Daily Mail where there will find a vastly greater
appreciative audience?

Old November 15th 13, 10:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , MikeS
writes
I appreciate your knowledge of TV aerials and distribution systems and value
your relevant posts as well as your web site. However, I wish you could
restrain yourself from using the uk.tech newsgroups to post your views on
hundreds of other topics.

Why not send them to the Daily Mail where there will find a vastly greater
appreciative audience?

Dear Mike.

Speaking as a "Bill" who knows a fair bit about TV, and many other types
of aerials too, I would appreciate it if you could be a bit more
precise in your complaint.

Possibly, rather than using the uk.tech newsgroups to deliver your
message of complaint, you could curb your enthusiasm and send it
directly to the intended recipient, thus saving every one else's
bandwidth?

Failing that and advert in the Daily Mail with a short link here, so
that anyone wishing to read it could do so, or not, as the case maybe.

( A different one )
Old November 16th 13, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 17:41:02 -0000, "MikeS"
wrote:

your relevant posts as well as your web site. However, I wish you could
restrain yourself from using the uk.tech newsgroups to post your views on
hundreds of other topics.

Why not send them to the Daily Mail where there will find a vastly greater
appreciative audience?

If he bothers to give you an answer, I hope it equates to "no".

Old November 16th 13, 09:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Roderick
Stewart
wrote:

your relevant posts as well as your web site. However, I wish you could
restrain yourself from using the uk.tech newsgroups to post your views
on hundreds of other topics.

Why not send them to the Daily Mail where there will find a vastly
greater appreciative audience?

If he bothers to give you an answer, I hope it equates to "no".

Yes, I'd agree that even the DM would find them too repetitive and
predictable to be worth reading. :-)

Old November 16th 13, 09:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Pearson

"MikeS" wrote in message
I appreciate your knowledge of TV aerials and distribution systems and
value your relevant posts as well as your web site. However, I wish you
could restrain yourself from using the uk.tech newsgroups to post your
views on hundreds of other topics.

Why not send them to the Daily Mail where there will find a vastly greater
appreciative audience?

Were this to be addressed to the (W)right Bill I can see the point. The
king of Antennas gets close to the bone sometimes ad I do find the right
wing stuff a bit hard to take - but at least it is lively and from the
heart. Here in Scotland, that "St George rules" view of life hardly exists
(even though he was Greek like St Andrew) so seeing what is going on on our
neighbouring country is interesting and every Farage-esque post adds force
to those who are seeking independence here.

Old November 16th 13, 09:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

I've seen this sort of thing kill off a previously viable newsgroup.
Someone thinks they are among friends and turns in into more akin to a
blog. And many who previously read it and occasionally contribute stop
reading it and look elsewhere for somewhere to talk about the things they
are interested in. Especially so when the OT stuff may offend.

I'm personally not against the occasional OT from a regular - but when the
same thing gets repeated over and over again it is both annoying and
boring.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 16th 13, 10:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

wrote:

I appreciate your knowledge of TV aerials and distribution systems and value
your relevant posts as well as your web site. However, I wish you could
restrain yourself from using the uk.tech newsgroups to post your views on
hundreds of other topics.

Why not send them to the Daily Mail where there will find a vastly greater
appreciative audience?

Whilst I am a little sad to see Bill's postings gradually changing
from the technical to the political, the overtly off-topic ones are
generally preceded by the OT tag that we all recognise. It is
therefore very easy to avoid reading them.
As to the bandwidth issue, the cost or time to download the thread
titles will not be measurable.
Old November 16th 13, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

Whilst I am a little sad to see Bill's postings gradually changing
from the technical to the political, the overtly off-topic ones are
generally preceded by the OT tag that we all recognise. It is
therefore very easy to avoid reading them.

Not really. Certain software seems to remove the 'OT' bit - or perhaps
it's the poster - so they end up as a new subject without it.

--
*The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree.

Old November 16th 13, 11:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I've seen this sort of thing kill off a previously viable newsgroup.

If you want to see a case of this then uk.radio.amateur is a perfect
example. A case of the idiots have taken over the asylum. A real shame
and a situation that does the original purpose of the group no good what
so ever.

Someone thinks they are among friends and turns in into more akin to a
blog. And many who previously read it and occasionally contribute stop
reading it and look elsewhere for somewhere to talk about the things they
are interested in. Especially so when the OT stuff may offend.

I'm personally not against the occasional OT from a regular - but when the
same thing gets repeated over and over again it is both annoying and
boring.

I am of the opinion that it does no harm, providing it is in moderation.

We are a relatively technical group, but it is good to get to know one
another to see each others strengths and weaknesses in life as well as
just in digital tv. As long as the OT posts do not take over to the
determent of the groups original purpose I see no harm in them.

What DOES irritate me is when, in some groups, a sensible question is
asked and within a couple of replies people have drifted away and
started talking about their dogs latest ailment etc. Now that should be
stamped on and the offenders sent away to a cold, deserted, island with
no internet access for life.

( A different one )
Old November 16th 13, 01:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wymsey

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 09:25:04 +0000, Roderick Stewart wrote:

If he bothers to give you an answer, I hope it equates to "no".

Agreed, we don't want to encourage the daily flail.

--
M0WYM
Sales @ radiowymsey