Dear Bill

Old November 16th 13, 08:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Dear Bill

wrote:
On Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:51:53 PM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
Then there's the extra electricity that the set uses as it struggles to
work on an old aerial. This adds 20p an hour to the running costs. 20p?
That's sixteen shillings, gran! It's almost all your pension for a week!

20p is 5/- isn't it?

Owain

Ha! Very good! Yes, there were 80 new pence in a pound.

Of course the BBC made out there were 100, but that was just bias.

Old November 16th 13, 09:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Wakeman

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 16:05:29 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

I think the fear is that a lot of well-off-topic political posting tends
to attract passing ne'er-do-wells, who then take over the NG for posting
more political stuff and for their own personal bitching and sniping
(see 24hoursupport.helpdesk and, to a lesser extent, uk.radio.amateur).
However, provided there is enough reasonably on-topic stuff, this is
unlikely to happen. Personally, I don't mind Bill's occasional political
rant, as I suspect he often only means half of what he says.

Political posting from others does indeed start from time to time and
does indeed exceed this group's tolerance level. For example, last month
Ian Field started several new threads with left-wing ******** in response
to Bill's right-wing ********, and he got trodden on hard. This does mean
that Bill's right-wing ******** doesn't really get balanced, but nobody
really wants to tell him to f* off hard because he is otherwise a good
contributor to this group. It's still ********, though.
Old November 17th 13, 06:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mick

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 15:51:30 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm, and who is it that is forcing you to read them all?
Brian

Good point Brian. Can I suggest that those who find my posts annoying
simply killfile me? Then shut the **** up.

Bill

I always look for Bills post, I find them interesting.
Mick.
Old November 17th 13, 07:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mick

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 17:51:53 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

The rays also affect the ability of men in the seventies and eighties to
get an erection. If you are having increasing problems in this area you
need a new aerial!

Bill

As a 70 year old, I thought is was because my pencil lead had run out!
Mick
Old November 17th 13, 08:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_]

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 16:50:30 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm, and who is it that is forcing you to read them all?
Brian

Good point Brian. Can I suggest that those who find my posts annoying
simply killfile me? Then shut the **** up.

Bill

Despite my earlier rather PC post - I do like Bill's stuff on and off topic.
I don't want them to stop.

I agree with that. Some is interesting or amusing so I read it while
other OT is of no interest to me so I just press the ignore thread key
in Agent.

Steve

Old November 18th 13, 01:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Mick wrote:

I always look for Bills post, I find them interesting.
Mick.

Are you a psychiatrist?

Old November 18th 13, 06:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mick

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 02:44:52 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Mick wrote:

I always look for Bills post, I find them interesting.
Mick.

Are you a psychiatrist?

Bill

No just a retired old git, who likes most of your stories
I have no political interest in any party.
Mick.
Old November 18th 13, 09:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_7_]

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 12:17:14 +0000, Bill
wrote:

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I've seen this sort of thing kill off a previously viable newsgroup.

If you want to see a case of this then uk.radio.amateur is a perfect
example. A case of the idiots have taken over the asylum. A real shame
and a situation that does the original purpose of the group no good what
so ever.

Someone thinks they are among friends and turns in into more akin to a
blog. And many who previously read it and occasionally contribute stop
reading it and look elsewhere for somewhere to talk about the things they
are interested in. Especially so when the OT stuff may offend.

I'm personally not against the occasional OT from a regular - but when the
same thing gets repeated over and over again it is both annoying and
boring.

Amen. We have had far too many threads about "BBC Bias" recently.

I am of the opinion that it does no harm, providing it is in moderation.

But it's not (in moderation). Looking back at the group most of the
recent threads are off topic. And it's not just Bill W. Although I
will probably read the thread about mushrooms ;-)

We are a relatively technical group, but it is good to get to know one
another to see each others strengths and weaknesses in life as well as
just in digital tv. As long as the OT posts do not take over to the
determent of the groups original purpose I see no harm in them.

IMHO it's beginning to get this way.

What DOES irritate me is when, in some groups, a sensible question is
asked and within a couple of replies people have drifted away and
started talking about their dogs latest ailment etc. Now that should be
stamped on and the offenders sent away to a cold, deserted, island with
no internet access for life.

I don't object to a little thread drift if the original subject has
been covered.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old November 18th 13, 10:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Lots have told me to **** off, and I don't mind that at all, and it
won't make me **** off.

Old November 18th 13, 11:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 23:48:37 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

[...] that Bill's right-wing ******** doesn't really get balanced, but nobody
really wants to tell him to f* off hard because he is otherwise a good
contributor to this group. It's still ********, though.

Lots have told me to **** off, and I don't mind that at all, and it
won't make me **** off.

Would telling you "not to" make you do it instead?