Dear Bill

Old November 16th 13, 01:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Dear Bill

Hmm, and who is it that is forcing you to read them all?

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"MikeS" wrote in message
I appreciate your knowledge of TV aerials and distribution systems and
value your relevant posts as well as your web site. However, I wish you
could restrain yourself from using the uk.tech newsgroups to post your
views on hundreds of other topics.

Why not send them to the Daily Mail where there will find a vastly greater
appreciative audience?

Old November 16th 13, 02:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Roderick Stewart wrote:

Why not send them to the Daily Mail where there will find a vastly greater
appreciative audience?

If he bothers to give you an answer, I hope it equates to "no".

Rod.

My answer is absolutely not, never, no way, not at all, nix, no.

Old November 16th 13, 02:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm, and who is it that is forcing you to read them all?
Brian

Good point Brian. Can I suggest that those who find my posts annoying
simply killfile me? Then shut the **** up.

Old November 16th 13, 02:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 17:41:02 -0000, "MikeS"
wrote:

I appreciate your knowledge of TV aerials and distribution systems and
value your relevant posts as well as your web site. However, I wish
you could restrain yourself from using the uk.tech newsgroups to post
your views on hundreds of other topics.

Why not send them to the Daily Mail where there will find a vastly
greater appreciative audience?

Whilst I am a little sad to see Bill's postings gradually changing from
the technical to the political, the overtly off-topic ones are generally
preceded by the OT tag that we all recognise. It is therefore very easy
to avoid reading them. As to the bandwidth issue, the cost or time to
download the thread titles will not be measurable.

Accepted. Just that he keeps going so often to the same few wells. Just
seems daft to me.

Old November 16th 13, 03:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm, and who is it that is forcing you to read them all?
Brian

Good point Brian. Can I suggest that those who find my posts annoying
simply killfile me? Then shut the **** up.

I think the fear is that a lot of well-off-topic political posting tends
to attract passing ne'er-do-wells, who then take over the NG for posting
more political stuff and for their own personal bitching and sniping
(see 24hoursupport.helpdesk and, to a lesser extent, uk.radio.amateur).
However, provided there is enough reasonably on-topic stuff, this is
unlikely to happen. Personally, I don't mind Bill's occasional political
rant, as I suspect he often only means half of what he says.
--
Ian
Old November 16th 13, 03:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 12:17:14 +0000, Bill
wrote:

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I've seen this sort of thing kill off a previously viable newsgroup.

If you want to see a case of this then uk.radio.amateur is a perfect
example. A case of the idiots have taken over the asylum. A real shame
and a situation that does the original purpose of the group no good what
so ever.

Someone thinks they are among friends and turns in into more akin to a
blog. And many who previously read it and occasionally contribute stop
reading it and look elsewhere for somewhere to talk about the things they
are interested in. Especially so when the OT stuff may offend.

I'm personally not against the occasional OT from a regular - but when the
same thing gets repeated over and over again it is both annoying and
boring.

I am of the opinion that it does no harm, providing it is in moderation.

We are a relatively technical group, but it is good to get to know one
another to see each others strengths and weaknesses in life as well as
just in digital tv. As long as the OT posts do not take over to the
determent of the groups original purpose I see no harm in them.

What DOES irritate me is when, in some groups, a sensible question is
asked and within a couple of replies people have drifted away and
started talking about their dogs latest ailment etc. Now that should be
stamped on and the offenders sent away to a cold, deserted, island with
no internet access for life.

If we all met up in a pub the conversation wouln't just be about
technical matters would it?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old November 16th 13, 03:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

as I suspect he often only means
half of what he says.

Aha! So digital aerials *do* exist and are a "good thing"?

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old November 16th 13, 03:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 16:05:29 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm, and who is it that is forcing you to read them all?
Brian

Good point Brian. Can I suggest that those who find my posts annoying
simply killfile me? Then shut the **** up.

I think the fear is that a lot of well-off-topic political posting tends
to attract passing ne'er-do-wells, who then take over the NG for posting
more political stuff and for their own personal bitching and sniping
(see 24hoursupport.helpdesk and, to a lesser extent, uk.radio.amateur).
However, provided there is enough reasonably on-topic stuff, this is
unlikely to happen. Personally, I don't mind Bill's occasional political
rant, as I suspect he often only means half of what he says.

That's what happens when you make the RAE a multiple choice exam (and
I'm only half joking).

I don't agree with a some of Bill's political views, but I did amuse
some dinner guests last night by reading out Bill's post about Oprah
Winfrey from my Blackberry when the subject arose in conversation.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old November 16th 13, 03:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Pearson

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm, and who is it that is forcing you to read them all?
Brian

Good point Brian. Can I suggest that those who find my posts annoying
simply killfile me? Then shut the **** up.

Bill

Despite my earlier rather PC post - I do like Bill's stuff on and off topic.
I don't want them to stop.

Old November 16th 13, 03:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 15:51:30 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Hmm, and who is it that is forcing you to read them all?
Brian

Good point Brian. Can I suggest that those who find my posts annoying
simply killfile me? Then shut the **** up.

What's the point in having a special room called a toilet, when you
could **** in any room in the house?