Didital spectrum, DAB and FM

Old November 11th 13, 06:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David.WE.Roberts

Default Didital spectrum, DAB and FM

Following on from TV based discussion on allocation of spectrum etc. which
mentioned DAB radio.

Some of my phones, and my latest Android tablet, provide FM radio which
uses the headphone lead as an aerial.

I haven't so far seen any DAB radio App for Android.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=965913

points out that the frequency ranges for DAB and FM are not the same
(unlike analogue and digital TV).

So there seems to be no global interest in DAB tuners.

Are we dragging ourselves away from global hardware and software with our
radio and TV frequency allocations?

Cheers

Dave R
Old November 11th 13, 07:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On 11 Nov 2013 19:54:07 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts"
wrote:

Following on from TV based discussion on allocation of spectrum etc. which
mentioned DAB radio.

Some of my phones, and my latest Android tablet, provide FM radio which
uses the headphone lead as an aerial.

I haven't so far seen any DAB radio App for Android.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=965913

points out that the frequency ranges for DAB and FM are not the same
(unlike analogue and digital TV).

So there seems to be no global interest in DAB tuners.

Are we dragging ourselves away from global hardware and software with our
radio and TV frequency allocations?

Those phones and tablets have some built-in hardware to receive FM
radio - it's not all done with software apps. Similarly DAB radio
would need additional hardware as well as software decoding.
Also DAB decoding is complex and uses a lot of processing power and
milliamps. Neither is compatible with phones.

Old November 11th 13, 07:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , David.WE.Roberts
scribeth thus
Following on from TV based discussion on allocation of spectrum etc. which
mentioned DAB radio.

Some of my phones, and my latest Android tablet, provide FM radio which
uses the headphone lead as an aerial.

I haven't so far seen any DAB radio App for Android.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=965913

points out that the frequency ranges for DAB and FM are not the same
(unlike analogue and digital TV).

So there seems to be no global interest in DAB tuners.

Are we dragging ourselves away from global hardware and software with our
radio and TV frequency allocations?

Cheers

Dave R

Well its thought that radio content will be delivered over 4G or 5G or
*.G as and when. UK DAB isn't really a world market issue unlike FM
which apart from the time constants for pre emphasis are different the
fm system is used the world over with small differences in the FM band.

The DAB allocation in the UK is around 225 odd MHz which is a hardware
problem as well its not simply an app that can run on any smartfone

And UK DAB is well .. rather olde world now..
--
Tony Sayer

Old November 11th 13, 09:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , David.WE.Roberts
scribeth thus
[...]

IIRC - that's the old band III , formerly TV VHF high-band.

That's only the next band up from band II FM radio - you don't see too many
battery-portable DAB radios, maybe the digital decoders are a bit power
hungry!

Old November 12th 13, 12:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen

Default Digital spectrum, DAB and FM

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , David.WE.Roberts
scribeth thus
[...]

John Lewis is full of battery portable DAB radios and the battery life is
much better nowadays.

Old November 12th 13, 07:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Actually, ther is no such thing as a digital spectrum any more than there
is a digital aerial.
The fact is that within reason you could use any frequency you wanted for
whatever you liked. I'm not really sure how the uk or anyone else decided
on the current situation, probably partly international agreement, and
partly expediency.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old November 12th 13, 08:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

wrote:

Those phones and tablets have some built-in hardware to receive FM radio
- it's not all done with software apps. Similarly DAB radio would need
additional hardware as well as software decoding. Also DAB decoding is
complex and uses a lot of processing power and milliamps. Neither is
compatible with phones.

The last comment may be the significant one in this context. You can
certainly get 'SDR' USB dongles for things like this. Some do the decoding
with their own internal hardware. Others simply grab and downconvert the
required spectrum and leave the rest to your host machine.

Old November 12th 13, 01:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 01:19:55 -0000, "Stephen"
wrote:

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , David.WE.Roberts
scribeth thus
[...]

Yes, they are getting better. But their processing and power
requirements would still seriously compomise the performance of a
phone.
Old November 12th 13, 04:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wymsey

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 23:32:59 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I was rather intrigued by the current crop of SDR systems that digitise
a whole chunk of bandwidth then apply a software receiver to get at the
content.

Brian

Lots going on in this area, some really good open source SDR programs.
I've been playing with one of the cheap dongles which gives coverage from
around 60MHz up to around 1800. I made an a simple up-converter so that
it will also give HF coverage. The trouble with these dongles is the high
noise floor.

See http://rtlsdr.org/
and www.sdrsharp.com/

Currently I playing with a Funcube Pro+ dongle, www.funcubedongle.com/ ,
which gives coverage from 150KHz to 1900 MHz. Very good but around 10
times the price of one of the cheap dongles.

Charlie.

--
M0WYM
Sales @ radiowymsey