New Telly Advice

Old November 2nd 13, 08:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default New Telly Advice

People tell me that the motion issues are more a factor of the software in
the telly than the screenthese days. I need a telly without a screen of
course.. grin.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 14:02:22 -0000, "Rob Gibson"
[email protected] wrote:

As much as I don't want to, it's time to pension-off my trusty 28" Sony
widescreen CRT telly. It is still working, but too big for our living room
now (and ruddy heavy having just moved it!).

So, ideas and suggestions for a replacement? I was thinking of a 32 - 40"
flat panel. Not plasma (RFI issues). Picture quality is paramount.
Connectivity, looks, multi-tuners, etc., all secondary. A good colour
palette is important as are a good black and shadow detail.

I have to say that, so far, none of the sets I've seen come close to the
CRT
for colour. Picture geometry and sharpness are excellent, but they all
look
slightly wrong colour-wise. Motion blur seems to be an issue with some
sets
too.

Can spend up to 1000.

Samsung, Sony or Phillips.

If anything colour wise our flat screen Sony is better than our old
CRT Sony.
I think motion blur is a thing of the past.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old November 2nd 13, 09:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article , David wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

Samsung, Sony or Phillips.

Martin in Zuid Holland

****

Not seen a Philips TV set on sale in UK for years think they disappeared
due to unreliable TV sets and having to be repaired or thrown away.

Phillips got rid of their TV division last year.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old November 2nd 13, 10:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike O'Sullivan[_2_]

On 02/11/2013 09:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
People tell me that the motion issues are more a factor of the software in
the telly than the screenthese days. I need a telly without a screen of
course.. grin.
Brian

Do you use Adio Description Brian? I found it switched on by accident a
few weeks ago. Wondered what the hell I could hear till I realised.
Old November 2nd 13, 10:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
David wrote:
Not seen a Philips TV set on sale in UK for years think they disappeared
due to unreliable TV sets and having to be repaired or thrown away.

Quite. I had several generation of Philips sets up until the '90s. A top
of the range Matchline CRT set failed after only 3 years light use. The
connector feeding the scan coils burnt out. Quite simply not adequate for
the current it carried. And Philips charge silly prices for spares. So
decided never to buy anything of theirs again. Sad - as their actual
performance was very good. They just liked to build stuff with a short
life.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 2nd 13, 10:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

tony sayer wrote:

Come around to ours and have a look at our Bravia and see if you can
see any back light bleed as I've been looking for it for a long time
and haven't found it yet;!..

Actually I had a Bravia with edge lighting - that bled so I sold it.
Currently I'm using the Sony KDL-55HX923 which has a white LED array
for the backlight with local dimming.

Of course I haven't examined every single Sony, but there are two
fundamental problems with all LCD displays:

1/ No LCD cell can switch all the way off

2/ Edge lighting - even segmented into 12 or 16 zones like Samsung -
cannot completely darken a zone without significant interference with
other zones on those horizontal and verticals.

Thus I would argue that, subjective issues aside, it simply isn't
possible to get zero-light blacks if there is any other part of the
screen with picture content. Unless, that is, you are running a
backlight array with local dimming.

HAVING SAID THAT: I am happy to accept that your Sony may be so well
sorted as to be EFFECTIVELY perfect in normal use. Would you care to
tell me the model number? I'd like to read up about it, if I may.

--
SteveT
Old November 2nd 13, 10:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , R. Mark Clayton
scribeth thus

"Woody" wrote in message
"Rob Gibson" [email protected] wrote in message
As much as I don't want to, it's time to pension-off my trusty 28" Sony
widescreen CRT telly. It is still working, but too big for our living
room now (and ruddy heavy having just moved it!).

So, ideas and suggestions for a replacement? I was thinking of a 32 - 40"
flat panel. Not plasma (RFI issues). Picture quality is paramount.
Connectivity, looks, multi-tuners, etc., all secondary. A good colour
palette is important as are a good black and shadow detail.

I have to say that, so far, none of the sets I've seen come close to the
CRT for colour. Picture geometry and sharpness are excellent, but they
all look slightly wrong colour-wise. Motion blur seems to be an issue
with some sets too.

Can spend up to 1000.

Good buy at the moment. Samsung UE32F5000 32" full HD with HD tuner and
LED lighting, 10W/ch sound, 0.3W on standby 40W working. John Lewis 279
with five year warranty. If you want 'smart' capability get the F5500.

Richers were selling the F5000 at 269 with fibe year warranty last week:
if it is still active then get JLP to do a pricematch. Whilst I don't mind
dealing with either I would guess it much less likely that JLP will go
under during your warranty period.

Richer Sounds have been around for decades and their customer service is top
notch.

Isn't around here.. a right couple of wallies turned me off buying from
them and in the end went to John Lewis..

Usual ****e "Ah! the pictures aren't any good 'cus we ave too many
tellies switched on" crap..

IIRC their warranties are insurance backed.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

--
Tony Sayer

Old November 2nd 13, 11:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Steve Thackery" wrote in message
tony sayer wrote:

[...]

I've got a 32" Sony Bravia with CCFL backlighting (i.e. not LED) and I
haven't noticed any bleed in the blacks at any normal viewing angle, even if
the screen is completely black (e.g. listening to radio). And I usually view
in a semi-darkened room.

--
Max Demian

Old November 2nd 13, 12:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Max Demian
writes

I've got a 32" Sony Bravia with CCFL backlighting (i.e. not LED) and I
haven't noticed any bleed in the blacks at any normal viewing angle, even if
the screen is completely black (e.g. listening to radio). And I usually view
in a semi-darkened room.

As an aside, is there any reason why TVs don't turn the backlight off
when you're listening to the radio?
--
Ian

---

Old November 2nd 13, 12:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
David wrote:
Not seen a Philips TV set on sale in UK for years think they
disappeared
due to unreliable TV sets and having to be repaired or thrown
away.

Quite. I had several generation of Philips sets up until the
'90s. A top
of the range Matchline CRT set failed after only 3 years light
use. The
connector feeding the scan coils burnt out. Quite simply not
adequate for
the current it carried. And Philips charge silly prices for
spares. So
decided never to buy anything of theirs again. Sad - as their
actual
performance was very good. They just liked to build stuff with
a short
life.

--

Perhaps you were unlucky Dave. We had two CRT TVs, 14" and 16"
and both lasted over 20 years.

Old November 2nd 13, 12:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
LumpHammer

On 01/11/2013 17:36, Woody wrote:
[...]

I've just bought a 32" Sansung F5000 for occasional use in a bedroom.
The picture quality is good, although not stunning. The sound is also
reasonable, and less tinny than most modern TVs, but the OP's budget
would leave 700 for a sound bar.

Although my parents had a 22" CRT in their living room for most of my
childhood, I reckon 32" is a bit small for living rooms by modern
standards. I'd be looking closer to 40", if only because big TVs are so
cheap these days.