New Telly Advice

Old November 1st 13, 04:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_2_]

Default New Telly Advice

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 16:22:20 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

You may need to tinker with the colour. The best sets may allow gamma
correction.

It's worth doing a bit more than that.

From https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/TV_Setup.txt

1.Ensure that the set has been switched on for at least twenty
minutes.

2. Set all the 'fancy' picture options to 'Off' or 'Neutral'.

3. Reduce 'Colour', 'Contrast' and 'Brightness' to zero.
This should give a blank, black screen.

4. Slowly increase 'Brightness' until there is a just perceptible
lightening of the screen.

5. Slowly increase 'Contrast' until you have an acceptable black and
white picture. Some further small adjustment of 'Brightness' may be
necessary to achieve this.

6. If you have a 'Gamma' control slowly increase 'Gamma' until you
have sufficient amount of detail in the 'blacks'.

7. Make further small adjustments of 'Brightness' and 'Contrast' to
optimize the black and white picture.

8. Increase 'Colour' to achieve realistic flesh tones.

9. Repeat until happy.

The important thing is to get a decent black and white picture and to
use a reliable(?) programme source.
--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old November 1st 13, 05:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Woody wrote:
Richers were selling the F5000 at 269 with fibe year warranty
last week: if it is still active then get JLP to do a pricematch.
Whilst I don't mind dealing with either I would guess it much
less likely that JLP will go under during your warranty period.

Richer Sounds have been around for quite a while too - and always seem
busy when I've visited.

--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 1st 13, 06:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Rob Gibson wrote:

Picture quality is
paramount. Connectivity, looks, multi-tuners, etc., all secondary. A
good colour palette is important as are a good black and shadow
detail.

Sadly, if you want good black AND you're limited to a grand, you'll
have to forget LCD. I spent ages looking at tellies, and I can say for
sure that if they don't have a zoned BACK-light (not side-lighting)
then they WILL bleed and spoil the blacks if you like to watch in a
darkened room.

Reviews give the Samsung models good marks for their blacks. They
can't have watched them in the dark - they leak and bloom on dark
backgrounds dreadfully.

The only LCD TV I would consider is one with an active LED array
backlight, and they cost a bleedin' fortune.

--
SteveT
Old November 1st 13, 08:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Rob Gibson
[email protected]? scribeth thus
As much as I don't want to, it's time to pension-off my trusty 28" Sony
widescreen CRT telly. It is still working, but too big for our living room
now (and ruddy heavy having just moved it!).

So, ideas and suggestions for a replacement? I was thinking of a 32 - 40"
flat panel. Not plasma (RFI issues). Picture quality is paramount.
Connectivity, looks, multi-tuners, etc., all secondary. A good colour
palette is important as are a good black and shadow detail.

I have to say that, so far, none of the sets I've seen come close to the CRT
for colour. Picture geometry and sharpness are excellent, but they all look
slightly wrong colour-wise. Motion blur seems to be an issue with some sets
too.

Can spend up to 1000.

Have a look at the SONY Bravia range can't fault ours expect for the
speakers but there're all pants on modern slim sets....

and take a bit of time to set it up carefully
as they aren't best adjusted for home use straight from the factory
--
Tony Sayer

Old November 1st 13, 08:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Steve Thackery
scribeth thus
Rob Gibson wrote:

Picture quality is
paramount. Connectivity, looks, multi-tuners, etc., all secondary. A
good colour palette is important as are a good black and shadow
detail.

Sadly, if you want good black AND you're limited to a grand, you'll
have to forget LCD. I spent ages looking at tellies, and I can say for
sure that if they don't have a zoned BACK-light (not side-lighting)
then they WILL bleed and spoil the blacks if you like to watch in a
darkened room.

Come around to ours and have a look at our Bravia and see if you can see
any back light bleed as I've been looking for it for a long time and
haven't found it yet;!..

Seriously the broadcasters screw more up with their fancy video effects
and that silly filmic effect stuff and the blurred sound to boot!...

Old November 2nd 13, 12:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Scion wrote:
Samsung, Sony or Phillips.

If anything colour wise our flat screen Sony is better than our old CRT
Sony.
I think motion blur is a thing of the past.

There are still TVs available with the motion blur accessory :-)

I would add LG and Panasonic to the list of manufacturers worth a look.

You've pretty well covered all the makes on sale in the UK.

Probably not, but avoid Bush, Goodmans...

Old November 2nd 13, 12:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Woody" wrote in message
"Rob Gibson" [email protected] wrote in message
As much as I don't want to, it's time to pension-off my trusty 28" Sony
widescreen CRT telly. It is still working, but too big for our living
room now (and ruddy heavy having just moved it!).

So, ideas and suggestions for a replacement? I was thinking of a 32 - 40"
flat panel. Not plasma (RFI issues). Picture quality is paramount.
Connectivity, looks, multi-tuners, etc., all secondary. A good colour
palette is important as are a good black and shadow detail.

I have to say that, so far, none of the sets I've seen come close to the
CRT for colour. Picture geometry and sharpness are excellent, but they
all look slightly wrong colour-wise. Motion blur seems to be an issue
with some sets too.

Can spend up to 1000.

Good buy at the moment. Samsung UE32F5000 32" full HD with HD tuner and
LED lighting, 10W/ch sound, 0.3W on standby 40W working. John Lewis 279
with five year warranty. If you want 'smart' capability get the F5500.

Richers were selling the F5000 at 269 with fibe year warranty last week:
if it is still active then get JLP to do a pricematch. Whilst I don't mind
dealing with either I would guess it much less likely that JLP will go
under during your warranty period.

Richer Sounds have been around for decades and their customer service is top
notch.

IIRC their warranties are insurance backed.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old November 2nd 13, 06:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

"Martin" wrote in message

Samsung, Sony or Phillips.

Martin in Zuid Holland

****

Not seen a Philips TV set on sale in UK for years think they disappeared due
to unreliable TV sets and having to be repaired or thrown away.

Regards
David

Old November 2nd 13, 08:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"David" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message

Samsung, Sony or Phillips.

Martin in Zuid Holland

****

Not seen a Philips TV set on sale in UK for years think they
disappeared due to unreliable TV sets and having to be repaired
or thrown away.

Regards
David

Philips pulled out of TVs about two years ago - pity as they used
good panels.

Old November 2nd 13, 08:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

"Martin" wrote in message

On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 07:38:34 -0000, "David" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .

Samsung, Sony or Phillips.

Not seen a Philips TV set on sale in UK for years think they disappeared
due
to unreliable TV sets and having to be repaired or thrown away.

Looks as if you could be wrong :-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=a9_sc_...qid=1383383564
--

Martin in Zuid Holland