Mysterious bleeps night and morning

Old August 18th 13, 03:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Mysterious bleeps night and morning

In message , Norman Wells
writes

I went on a tropical holiday a couple of years ago, and thought there
was a cicada hiding someowhere on top of or behind the wardrobe
chirping away very loudly. Couldn't see it so heavily sprayed all over
At last it clicked that it was actually the smoke alarm, so had the
battery replaced by the maintenance staff, who carefully wiped dripping
insecticide off the cover. Fine at first, then half an hour after
going to sleep it started up all over again. Sod it, prised off the
cover myself, removed the battery and hid it from anyone who might be
tempted to replace it. It was the only way.

Noted for next time that insecticide doesn't kill smoke alarms.

A slightly related tale.

I arrived at a hotel a couple of months back at about 01:00am to find
staff and guest congregated in the car park and the fire alarm sounding.

After a while one of the guests produced a smoke detector head from his
pocket and rather drunkenly said "it might be because I took this down."
apparently the flashing of the LED was stopping him sleeping, so he
removed the head. Why he still had it in his dressing gown pocket I'm
not sure though.

Old August 18th 13, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Derek F" wrote in message
On 18/08/2013 09:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
Or smoke alarm of a reasonable vintage.
Brian

Different sound from smoke alarm yelling for a new battery and
they are in kitchen and hall.
But a very abbreviated smoke alarm story from two weeks ago
90 year old neighbours smoke alarm started bleeping as it
needed new battery. Her son who calls in every day was on
holiday. The caretaker of the flats was on holiday and the
stand in got a new battery but could not get the detector
opened to replace it so it bleeped all night.
When her carer came to attend to her in the morning she
decided to phone the Fire Brigade. An officer came in a car and
decided that it was an electrical fault affecting the whole
building and that Health and Safety prevented him from doing
anything about and suggested that the buildings management
company should be contacted.
The carer asked my wife for the number for the management
company. My wife suggested that she contact one of the ladies
many grandchildren. One came along and battery replaced.
Derek

I don't know about anyone else. but for some reason my some
alarms (and the CO detector also as in a few weeks ago) always
decide they want a new battery somewhere between 02:00 and
03:30!!!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 18th 13, 03:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Woody" wrote in message
"Derek F" wrote in message
[...]

some?? Eh?? Typo - smoke of course.

Old August 18th 13, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Woody
wrote:

I don't know about anyone else. but for some reason my some alarms (and
the CO detector also as in a few weeks ago) always decide they want a
new battery somewhere between 02:00 and 03:30!!!

I've noticed that here as well. I have wondered if it may be because the
ambient temperature tends to be lower at that sort of time of night than
during the day and the battery voltage then falls enough to trigger the
complaints from the alarm that a new battery is required.

Old August 18th 13, 04:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , Woody
writes
"Derek F" wrote in message
[...]

The normal reason is that dry cells go higher resistance and hence lower
volts when they get cold. 2-3 am is when your home has cooled enough to
do this.

My pager tends to remind me that the battery needs changing at about the
same time too. A pain to only remember this after I've already dived
out of bed and I'm heading for my clothes :-(

Old August 18th 13, 04:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , Jim Lesurf
writes
In article , Woody
wrote:

I don't know about anyone else. but for some reason my some alarms (and
the CO detector also as in a few weeks ago) always decide they want a
new battery somewhere between 02:00 and 03:30!!!

I've noticed that here as well. I have wondered if it may be because the
ambient temperature tends to be lower at that sort of time of night than
during the day and the battery voltage then falls enough to trigger the
complaints from the alarm that a new battery is required.

Jim

+1

Old August 18th 13, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_3_]

On 18/08/2013 16:34, David Kennedy wrote:
On 18/08/2013 16:07, Derek F wrote:
On 18/08/2013 12:23, Jonathan wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:59:53 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well its usually phones or computers as you say. Washing machines do
it as a

falut code but I cannot see you haveing a washing machine there.

Our washing machine does it when it has finished.

Jonathan

So does our bread maker.
Derek

Why do you call it Derek?

Easier to remember than Russell or Richards.
Derek
Old August 18th 13, 04:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_3_]

On 18/08/2013 16:26, Davey wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 16:07:03 +0100
Derek F wrote:

On 18/08/2013 12:23, Jonathan wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:59:53 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well its usually phones or computers as you say. Washing machines
do it as a

falut code but I cannot see you haveing a washing machine there.

Our washing machine does it when it has finished.

Jonathan

So does our bread maker.
Derek

I thought bread makers were only meant to be used for a couple of
weeks, until the novelty wore off. How long have you been using yours?

We are on our third one since 1994. It is used two or three times a
week. We find that cheap ones are just as good as the overpriced ones.
Same with kettles,irons and washing machines.
Derek
Old August 18th 13, 05:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_3_]

On 18/08/2013 16:42, Bill wrote:
[...]

I three times have set off alarms by having too much steam in the bathroom!
In Harare a red light started flashing and bells rang in the hallway and
people came out of their rooms. I stuck my head round the door and was
soon blamed for being the cause.
In Lagos (Portugal) we were in a very nice hotel. We had showers in the
splendid bathroom and the phone rang. When I answered the voice asked if
everything was all right with our room. I said that were were very
pleased with it. There is nothing wrong he asked. He said that an alarm
was flashing at reception to indicate that that there was smoke detected
in our room. I assured him that nothing was on fire. He asked if there
had been a lot of steam in the bathroom and I said that there had been.
In Las Vegas we did some washing and strung it up around the bathroom
and it must have caused condensation and set of the alarm.
Derek

Old August 18th 13, 05:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_3_]

On 18/08/2013 16:43, Woody wrote:
"Derek F" wrote in message
[...]

That was why I fitted a Ten Year Battery.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lithium-Smok.../dp/B001TA12J8
Derek