A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Mysterious bleeps night and morning



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old August 18th 13, 11:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,310
Default Mysterious bleeps night and morning

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 13:02:52 +0200
Martin wrote:

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:52:13 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:21:37 +0100
Derek F wrote:

floor flights of stairs,


?? Four, maybe?


Four candles?


If there is no lighting on the stairs, maybe!

--
Davey.
Ads
  #12  
Old August 18th 13, 11:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jonathan[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 42
Default Mysterious bleeps night and morning

On Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:59:53 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well its usually phones or computers as you say. Washing machines do it as a

falut code but I cannot see you haveing a washing machine there.


Our washing machine does it when it has finished.

Jonathan

  #13  
Old August 18th 13, 01:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 984
Default Mysterious bleeps night and morning

Derek F wrote:
On 18/08/2013 09:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
Or smoke alarm of a reasonable vintage.
Brian

Different sound from smoke alarm yelling for a new battery and they
are in kitchen and hall.
But a very abbreviated smoke alarm story from two weeks ago
90 year old neighbours smoke alarm started bleeping as it needed new
battery. Her son who calls in every day was on holiday. The caretaker
of the flats was on holiday and the stand in got a new battery but
could not get the detector opened to replace it so it bleeped all
night. When her carer came to attend to her in the morning she
decided to phone the Fire Brigade. An officer came in a car and
decided that it was an electrical fault affecting the whole building
and that Health and Safety prevented him from doing anything about
and suggested that the buildings management company should be
contacted.


I went on a tropical holiday a couple of years ago, and thought there
was a cicada hiding someowhere on top of or behind the wardrobe chirping
away very loudly. Couldn't see it so heavily sprayed all over the area
with insecticide since it would be impossible to sleep. Still it
continued. Eventually thought that's very regular and started to time
it. Yes, every 25 seconds.

At last it clicked that it was actually the smoke alarm, so had the
battery replaced by the maintenance staff, who carefully wiped dripping
insecticide off the cover. Fine at first, then half an hour after going
to sleep it started up all over again. Sod it, prised off the cover
myself, removed the battery and hid it from anyone who might be tempted
to replace it. It was the only way.

Noted for next time that insecticide doesn't kill smoke alarms.

  #14  
Old August 18th 13, 03:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 349
Default Mysterious bleeps night and morning

On 18/08/2013 14:25, Norman Wells wrote:
Derek F wrote:
On 18/08/2013 09:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
Or smoke alarm of a reasonable vintage.
Brian

Different sound from smoke alarm yelling for a new battery and they
are in kitchen and hall.
But a very abbreviated smoke alarm story from two weeks ago
90 year old neighbours smoke alarm started bleeping as it needed new
battery. Her son who calls in every day was on holiday. The caretaker
of the flats was on holiday and the stand in got a new battery but
could not get the detector opened to replace it so it bleeped all
night. When her carer came to attend to her in the morning she
decided to phone the Fire Brigade. An officer came in a car and
decided that it was an electrical fault affecting the whole building
and that Health and Safety prevented him from doing anything about
and suggested that the buildings management company should be
contacted.


I went on a tropical holiday a couple of years ago, and thought there
was a cicada hiding someowhere on top of or behind the wardrobe chirping
away very loudly. Couldn't see it so heavily sprayed all over the area
with insecticide since it would be impossible to sleep. Still it
continued. Eventually thought that's very regular and started to time
it. Yes, every 25 seconds.

At last it clicked that it was actually the smoke alarm, so had the
battery replaced by the maintenance staff, who carefully wiped dripping
insecticide off the cover. Fine at first, then half an hour after going
to sleep it started up all over again. Sod it, prised off the cover
myself, removed the battery and hid it from anyone who might be tempted
to replace it. It was the only way.

Noted for next time that insecticide doesn't kill smoke alarms.

I thought that the story would be that you plugged a insecticide device
into the mains and it ticked away.
Derek
  #15  
Old August 18th 13, 03:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 349
Default Mysterious bleeps night and morning

On 18/08/2013 12:23, Jonathan wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:59:53 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well its usually phones or computers as you say. Washing machines do it as a

falut code but I cannot see you haveing a washing machine there.


Our washing machine does it when it has finished.

Jonathan

So does our bread maker.
Derek
  #16  
Old August 18th 13, 03:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 349
Default Mysterious bleeps night and morning

On 18/08/2013 12:25, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 04:23:40 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan
wrote:

On Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:59:53 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well its usually phones or computers as you say. Washing machines do it as a

falut code but I cannot see you haveing a washing machine there.


Our washing machine does it when it has finished.


Is she an immigrant?

Her name is Candy?
Derek
  #17  
Old August 18th 13, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 349
Default Mysterious bleeps night and morning

On 18/08/2013 12:02, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:52:13 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:21:37 +0100
Derek F wrote:

floor flights of stairs,


?? Four, maybe?


Four candles?

Thank you!
Derek
  #18  
Old August 18th 13, 03:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 349
Default Mysterious bleeps night and morning

On 18/08/2013 12:12, Davey wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 13:02:52 +0200
Martin wrote:

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:52:13 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:21:37 +0100
Derek F wrote:

floor flights of stairs,

?? Four, maybe?


Four candles?


If there is no lighting on the stairs, maybe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz2-ukrd2VQ
Derek
  #19  
Old August 18th 13, 03:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,310
Default Mysterious bleeps night and morning

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 16:07:03 +0100
Derek F wrote:

On 18/08/2013 12:23, Jonathan wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:59:53 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well its usually phones or computers as you say. Washing machines
do it as a

falut code but I cannot see you haveing a washing machine there.


Our washing machine does it when it has finished.

Jonathan

So does our bread maker.
Derek


I thought bread makers were only meant to be used for a couple of
weeks, until the novelty wore off. How long have you been using yours?

--
Davey.
  #20  
Old August 18th 13, 03:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Kennedy[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 425
Default Mysterious bleeps night and morning

On 18/08/2013 16:07, Derek F wrote:
On 18/08/2013 12:23, Jonathan wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:59:53 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well its usually phones or computers as you say. Washing machines do it as a

falut code but I cannot see you haveing a washing machine there.


Our washing machine does it when it has finished.

Jonathan

So does our bread maker.
Derek


Why do you call it Derek?

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2018 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.