White Spaces!....

Old April 13th 13, 11:51 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

Default White Spaces!....

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:43:14 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

A FTTP GPON is now being installed around the town, with planned roll
out to a couple of villages and places along the backbone routes.

Which town, I thought you were miles from anywhere?..

The town is around 20 miles from Penrith and Hexham, 30 odd from
Carlisle. The only places in between are at best large villages. Head SSE
ish from here cross one road after a couple of miles and that will be the
last sign of recent human activity for 10 miles, similary to the NNW.

Seems remote enough for me;!. Still I suppose if you choose to live on a
hill top then you'd expect to be a bit deprived for some services..

Reminds me of the TX site somewhere there was quite a nice bungalow next
to it for the station manager. Least he'd have the benefit of dual mains
feeds and presumably a decent phone line;! I wonder if the roof was
reinforced in case of a bit of ice falling off the mast or stays;?..

--
Tony Sayer

Old April 13th 13, 11:55 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 18:10:38 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

I'll probably still have one I detest the delay and appalling sound
quality of mobiles.

Well I've got a Three year olde Nokia

A mere baby. My current phone is a Sony Ericson T610 from about 2003/4.
Obtained as it was one of the very few mobiles that could do email
natively at that time. It's the third phone I have had since getting the
first one in about 1994.

What us the delay you talk of, I've not noticed any?. What network ?..

Orange but it's on all GSM phones. Any call from a GSM mobile has *at
least* a 20 mS delay by the nature of the coding.

20 bloody millisec?.. Thats nothing for a phone. I've not noticed it on
Vodafone and I can say that I've never heard anyone else complain.

I had to call a broadcast manufacturer on the west coast of America the
other night and that did have a bit of delay on VoIP but nothing
intrusive!...

--
Tony Sayer

Old April 13th 13, 11:57 AM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Steve Thackery
scribeth thus
Steve Terry wrote:

My main phone is still a Nokia 6310i from 2002, they work well,
are easy to use, and they have the longest lasting battery of all.

Yay! Good for you - the 6310i is an all time classic, and quite
collectable (you can still buy refurbished ones on eBay). It's a
cracking phone, I reckon.

I've got an olde Nokia MoviStar here bloody great big thing it is, pity they
no longer make the batteries or that odd shaped SIM card holder !...
--
Tony Sayer