Comet

Old November 1st 12, 01:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

Default Comet

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 13:56:47 -0000, "David"
wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message ...

Still speculation. The situation might change during the five day
period. AIUI this is the purpose of filing a notice of intent - to
allow time for further negotiations. Otherwise they would have
appointed the administrators today.

***

Lunch TV News said Maplin

Which is also owned by a private equity company
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maplin_Electronics

turned down buying the whole of Comet but
interested in a few stores.
Looks like the delay a hope of selling the company.

Though it could presumably be sold by the administrator as a 'going
concern'.

it was sold earlier this year for 2 and it doesn't go. What is the
administrator going to sell it for?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old November 1st 12, 01:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Scott wrote:
It's hardly news - they've been in trouble for ages.

Pedant mode Change of legal status. There is a big difference
between 'being in trouble' and the owners handing over management to
administrators. Pedant mode off

True - but anyone who's had dealing with them would realise it was only a
question of time. Unless bought out by someone who cared a damn.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 1st 12, 01:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
David wrote:
Lunch TV News said Maplin turned down buying the whole of Comet but
interested in a few stores.

Crikey. Out of the frying pan...

--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Old November 1st 12, 01:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 14:14:10 +0000 (GMT), charles

wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message ...

Still speculation. The situation might change during the five day
period. AIUI this is the purpose of filing a notice of intent - to
allow time for further negotiations. Otherwise they would have
appointed the administrators today.

***

Lunch TV News said Maplin

Which is also owned by a private equity company
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maplin_Electronics

turned down buying the whole of Comet but
interested in a few stores.
Looks like the delay a hope of selling the company.

Though it could presumably be sold by the administrator as a 'going
concern'.

it was sold earlier this year for 2 and it doesn't go. What is the
administrator going to sell it for?

You have taken my statement ouf of context. David suggested that the
five day delay might be to allow the company to be sold. I pointed
out that the administrator has the power to sell the company. I was
not suggesting this was the likely outcome.

To add to speculation, I think the most likely outcome is for the most
profitable stores to be sold as a continuing business and the rest to
be closed down as (AIUI) happened with Clinton Cards. Whether the
Comet name remains will be a marketing decision for the new owners.
Old November 1st 12, 02:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 15:50:03 +0000, wrote:

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 11:23:33 +0000, Scott
wrote:

News headline Comet going into administration, did I hear correct?

OpCapita boss Henry Jackson will take a decision on the solvency of
the business in the coming days and may call in Deloitte as early as
today.

I wondered. We were there a couple of weeks ago and there was very
limited stock. They wanted us to pay for two items in advance then
collect the following week. Fortunately, we have now collected the
items (my birthday and Christmas presents).

Local radio here just carried a spot about a chap concerned because he
had purchased a lot of Comet vouchers to give out as Christmas
presents.
On enquiring he was told they will cease to be valid if the business
does call in the administrator so he was promptly going to a store to
get some appliances.
Don't know if was correct in that but there must be others who have
some.

I think it depends on what happened to the money. AIUI when Zavvi
realised they were heading for administration they opened a special
account to keep the voucher money (as client funds) apart from the
firm's money. If you bought the gift voucher before that date you
became an unsecured creditor but if you bought the voucher after that
date you received a a full refund (although as I recall this took
about a year for the administrators to process).
Old November 1st 12, 04:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

Comet web site is closed.
Regards
David
Old November 1st 12, 04:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim..[_2_]

"David" wrote in message
Comet web site is closed.
Regards
David

That's them f*cked then.

Not really a great loss - very poorly trained uninterested spotty staff,
and over-inflated pricing.

Tim..

Old November 1st 12, 04:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 17:35:52 -0000, "David" wrote:

Comet web site is closed.
Regards
David

But it does say "Please try again later".

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old November 1st 12, 05:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 17:35:52 -0000, "David" wrote:

Comet web site is closed.
Regards
David

But it does say "Please try again later".

--
***

Sale prices on the way to raise some cash flow maybe.
Regards
David

Old November 1st 12, 05:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

On 01/11/2012 09:04, David wrote:
News headline Comet going into administration, did I hear correct?
Regards
David

about 18 years ago i visited comet to buy a tv - a 21" sony trinitron no
less - fantastic.
paid about 400 for it - imagine what that was worth back then.
then they tricked me into paying 100 for an extended warranty.
that's how they made (presumably buckets) of money.
times have changed, people still buy stuff, but they pay less for it.
if you know what you're doing there's still money to be made - looks
like comet didn't.

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.