Comet

Old November 1st 12, 11:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_3_]

Default Comet

On 01/11/2012 11:52, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 11:42:39 +0000, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 10:07:09 +0000, Scott
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 09:10:53 +0000, David Woolley
wrote:

David wrote:
News headline Comet going into administration, did I hear correct?

Google says no, although it says a lot of the media say they are *close*
to it. E.G. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164561

I think it is now a self-fulfilling prophesy. Once the suppliers hear
Comet is about to go into administration they will refuse to supply.

According to the Daily Mail report I quoted Comet has had to pay up
front for stock which is part of the reason they are strapped for cash.

There's a better article in the FT
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c6a53496-2...44feabdc0.html

You have encouraged me to apply for a free subscription!

--
Michael Chare
Old November 1st 12, 11:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
David wrote:
News headline Comet going into administration, did I hear correct?

It's hardly news - they've been in trouble for ages.

The windows are too big and too square. Sorry, wrong Comet.

--
Max Demian

Old November 1st 12, 11:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

David Woolley wrote:
David wrote:
News headline Comet going into administration, did I hear correct?

Google says no, although it says a lot of the media say they are *close*
to it. E.G. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164561

"You and Yours" (BBC R4, 12:45) suggests they will file an "intent to
appoint administrator", naming Deloitte's, today, giving them five days
to avoid going into administration.
Old November 1st 12, 12:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 12:48:12 +0000, David Woolley
wrote:

David Woolley wrote:
David wrote:
News headline Comet going into administration, did I hear correct?

Google says no, although it says a lot of the media say they are *close*
to it. E.G. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164561

"You and Yours" (BBC R4, 12:45) suggests they will file an "intent to
appoint administrator", naming Deloitte's, today, giving them five days
to avoid going into administration.

Sounds broadly equivalent to the US Chapter 11 provision.
Old November 1st 12, 12:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

David Woolley wrote:
David Woolley wrote:
David wrote:
News headline Comet going into administration, did I hear correct?

Google says no, although it says a lot of the media say they are
*close* to it. E.G. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164561

"You and Yours" (BBC R4, 12:45) suggests they will file an "intent to
appoint administrator", naming Deloitte's, today, giving them five days
to avoid going into administration.

BBC R4 1 o'clock news says "is to be placed in administration next week".
Old November 1st 12, 12:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 13:08:02 +0000, David Woolley
wrote:

David Woolley wrote:
David Woolley wrote:
David wrote:
News headline Comet going into administration, did I hear correct?

Google says no, although it says a lot of the media say they are
*close* to it. E.G. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164561

"You and Yours" (BBC R4, 12:45) suggests they will file an "intent to
appoint administrator", naming Deloitte's, today, giving them five days
to avoid going into administration.

BBC R4 1 o'clock news says "is to be placed in administration next week".

Sounds like a reasonable inference from use of the word 'intent'.
Old November 1st 12, 12:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

wrote:

David Woolley wrote:
David Woolley wrote:
David wrote:
News headline Comet going into administration, did I hear correct?
Google says no, although it says a lot of the media say they are
*close* to it. E.G. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164561
"You and Yours" (BBC R4, 12:45) suggests they will file an "intent to
appoint administrator", naming Deloitte's, today, giving them five days
to avoid going into administration.

BBC R4 1 o'clock news says "is to be placed in administration next week".

Sounds like a reasonable inference from use of the word 'intent'.

You and Yours was speculating. The inference is that they officially
announced the intent.
Old November 1st 12, 12:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

wrote:

David Woolley wrote:
David Woolley wrote:
David wrote:
News headline Comet going into administration, did I hear correct?
Google says no, although it says a lot of the media say they are
*close* to it. E.G. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164561
"You and Yours" (BBC R4, 12:45) suggests they will file an "intent to
appoint administrator", naming Deloitte's, today, giving them five days
to avoid going into administration.

BBC R4 1 o'clock news says "is to be placed in administration next week".

Sounds like a reasonable inference from use of the word 'intent'.

You and Yours was speculating. The inference is that they officially
announced the intent.

Still speculation. The situation might change during the five day
period. AIUI this is the purpose of filing a notice of intent - to
allow time for further negotiations. Otherwise they would have
appointed the administrators today.
Old November 1st 12, 12:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"Scott" wrote in message ...

Still speculation. The situation might change during the five day
period. AIUI this is the purpose of filing a notice of intent - to
allow time for further negotiations. Otherwise they would have
appointed the administrators today.

***

Lunch TV News said Maplin turned down buying the whole of Comet but
interested in a few stores.
Looks like the delay a hope of selling the company.
Regards
David

Old November 1st 12, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 13:56:47 -0000, "David"
wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message ...

Still speculation. The situation might change during the five day
period. AIUI this is the purpose of filing a notice of intent - to
allow time for further negotiations. Otherwise they would have
appointed the administrators today.

***

Lunch TV News said Maplin

Which is also owned by a private equity company
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maplin_Electronics

turned down buying the whole of Comet but
interested in a few stores.
Looks like the delay a hope of selling the company.

Though it could presumably be sold by the administrator as a 'going
concern'.