Blaupunkt TVs

Old October 10th 12, 09:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rick[_10_]

Default Blaupunkt TVs

"Max Demian" wrote in message
"Rick" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
fred wrote:
On the Blaupunkt name I can't say it has ever been respected in my
eyes,
only ref in my memory is overpriced car audio gear sold through dodgy
'whole service' dealers in high rent locations, first generation Russ
Andrews IMV.

Hmm. In the days when Blaupunkt were Blaupunkt, they were streets ahead
of
the usual car radios made by Motorala and Radiomobile. Had FM long
before
they did. And a decent quality audio amp too.

As a young man In the early nineteen sixties, I naively parted with a
fair bit of dosh in exchange for a secondhand Blaupunkt VHF 'valve' car
radio,

Hybrid (12V valves) or with a vibrator (oo-err missus)?

On the one hand I don't remember a vibrator, but on the other I also don't
remember an audio output transistor, perhaps I should Google for models from
the period to see if I can recognise it.

VHF on a car radio was virtually unheard of in this country back then,
unfortunately because of the then horizontal polarisation, along with
very poor sensitivity, it never turned out to be very successful, even
when used in conjunction with one of those long bendy fibreglass aerials
in all manner of different configurations.

You should have used a wire coat hanger. they're horizontally polarised.

--
Max Demian

Old October 10th 12, 10:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rick wrote:
As a young man In the early nineteen sixties, I naively parted with a
fair bit of dosh in exchange for a secondhand Blaupunkt VHF 'valve' car
radio, VHF on a car radio was virtually unheard of in this country back
then, unfortunately because of the then horizontal polarisation, along
with very poor sensitivity, it never turned out to be very successful,
even when used in conjunction with one of those long bendy fibreglass
aerials in all manner of different configurations.

I had one too - came out of a crashed Opel. It worked reasonably ok - but
the real problem was the BBC sited their transmitters for fixed reception
only using large external aerials - in much the same way as TV. Germany
had their transmitters sited closer to the centres of population. I found
a 1 metre long roof mounted aerial worked best.

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 15th 12, 07:16 PM
arturo arturo is offline
Junior Member

'Badge Engineering' is what we called producing loads of different TV brand names in one factory. Same insides, different outsides, but customers happy to pay a premium for a branded product. Sometimes we had to unbox products in the warehouse and change the badges as we had no stock of a particular brand that a dealer wanted. I helped design a b/w TV chassis for a company that had the rights to use the Blaupunkt brand name, so the insides went from Blaupunkt to local African design but same cabinet same brand. AND I remember vibrator power supplies used to convert 12volts to power mains car radios until 12 volt valves were 'invented'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Plowman (News) View Post

Old October 18th 12, 10:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
therustyone

On Oct 8, 8:54*pm, "Woody" wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message

Sainsbury's are doing a Blaupunkt 32" 1080p 3D TV including
SCART cable and four pairs of specs for 199. Don't think it
has HD tune though.

Anyone any idea who makes them - I doubt it is actually
Blaupunkt?

--

Just goes to show that it is not necessarily better to Google -
look at the supplier's web site first.

Made by UMC in Czech Republic, not China as JS state.

Sadly a well respected brand name has now just become another

Well I've got an early DVB-T UMC TV circa 2004 I, but its picture
quality is total rubbish. Supposedly HD on the HDMI input, but not
worth watching due to poor contrast.
The remote has a dual personality, entirely different sets of buttons
for analogue and digital tuners and it takes up to 5 seconds to change
digital channels showing a lack of DSP power. Must have been designed
in rural Taiwan.
I believe these TV's were mostly installed as part of a package and
not sold in the retail shops, may be wrong. No doubt they could make
good hardware given a good design and plenty of profit.

rusty

rusty

Old October 26th 12, 01:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

In a previous life, back in the '80s, I worked at a factory in Thailand where we assembled Blaupunkt car stereos, amongst other things. ISTR that the cartons were "incorrectly" marked "Made in West Germany". I was told that this indeed was where the cartons were manufactured.

Ian (formerly "Nice Ian")
Old October 26th 12, 02:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In a previous life, back in the '80s, I worked at a factory in Thailand
where we assembled Blaupunkt car stereos, amongst other things. ISTR
that the cartons were "incorrectly" marked "Made in West Germany". I was
told that this indeed was where the cartons were manufactured.

Ian (formerly "Nice Ian")

Well yes, the stereo may well have been assembled in Thailand, but where
all the parts made there too?

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Old October 26th 12, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 15:00:02 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

In a previous life, back in the '80s, I worked at a factory in Thailand
where we assembled Blaupunkt car stereos, amongst other things. ISTR
that the cartons were "incorrectly" marked "Made in West Germany". I was
told that this indeed was where the cartons were manufactured.

Ian (formerly "Nice Ian")

Well yes, the stereo may well have been assembled in Thailand, but where
all the parts made there too?

BBC had a programme about operating theatre scalpels that are labeled
Made In Germany being made in slums in India. AFAIR the steel was made
in Germany.

Doesn't surprise me. Lidl and Aldi tools are often labelled made in
Germany, but I somehow doubt they are. Or rather not what I'd call made
there.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Old October 26th 12, 07:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:06:29 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 15:00:02 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

In a previous life, back in the '80s, I worked at a factory in Thailand
where we assembled Blaupunkt car stereos, amongst other things. ISTR
that the cartons were "incorrectly" marked "Made in West Germany". I was
told that this indeed was where the cartons were manufactured.

Ian (formerly "Nice Ian")

Well yes, the stereo may well have been assembled in Thailand, but where
all the parts made there too?

BBC had a programme about operating theatre scalpels that are labeled
Made In Germany being made in slums in India. AFAIR the steel was made
in Germany.

Some decades ago my brother worked for a small removals firm up in the next
village. Every so often a lorry full of boxes and bottles and a small tanker
would set off to France. Some time later, perfume labelled "Bottled in
France" would arrive at the depot. All true; all lies.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old October 31st 12, 01:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Well yes, the stereo may well have been assembled in Thailand, but where

all the parts made there too?

Dave,

No, the units were supplied as CKD kits, with all components included. That was odd because we actually made electrolytic capacitors.