NetGem i-Player connectivity...

Old July 2nd 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Hall

Default NetGem i-Player connectivity...

Folks,

Having finally given in to the lure of an STB (I refuse to have an
overgrown dinner plate bolted to my house), I'm keen to get the
NetGem. However, a couple of questions, if I may...

1. Am I right in thinking that the latest software release (May 03)
will allow me to plug in my USB ADSL modem, and connect to the net via
DSL, and so avoid the need for an additional ISP and any dial up
charges?

2. If so, are the software updates available via DSL - or do I *still*
need to dial up using built in modem for that - admittedly a trivial
issue since its not exactly gonna run the bills up!

3. How much is the additional QWERTY kbd? Worthwhile investment? (I
know, relative question!)

Also, general comments on the box invited!

Cheers!

Steve
Old July 2nd 03, 11:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott Cummings

1. Correct the latest 4.2.3 update (as well as previous two other updates)
have support for ADSL/Cable Modem you will however still need to dialup
via built-in modem to download the latest update which means a 30-35mins or
more phone call to begin with as I don't think any Netgem I-Players out the
box have 4.2.3 but it's worth the dialup for for the update.

2. Yes once you have the done the update you can do any future updates via
your ADSL connection and never need to use the I-Player built-in modem ever
again, Plus you can use your ISP to send emails via the I-Player all you
need do is enter your ISP's SMTP server name.

3. Pass I am trying to get one from John Lewis not easy since there is two
versions the older grey one and new black model each have slight differences
but both do the same job but I want the black keyboard not easy when shops
don't have a clue what you talking about. I do think if you do a fair bit of
surfing or doing emails the keyboard will be a big help as the remote does
an okay job but entering things via a remote is much like sending a mobile
text message which can take a bit of time but it works okay, Keyboard is 30
and comes with batteries.

Most Netgem related postings are to be found on forums on
www.digitalspy.co.uk or the new netgem run forums at
http://forum.netgem.com/

Scott

om...

Old July 3rd 03, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tenex

Steve Hall wrote:
Folks,

Having finally given in to the lure of an STB (I refuse to have an
overgrown dinner plate bolted to my house), I'm keen to get the
NetGem. However, a couple of questions, if I may...

There's a lot of useful comment on Avforums too http://www.avforums.com/ in
the "Digital TV, Satellite and Cable" section.

I've had one for a week and it's so different to anything else -
connectivity is in another league - plugged in my Archos MM and played back
still photos and music without issue.

I'd like to know if ANY USB wirelss keyboard could be connected as I don't
see the point of two wireless keyboards in the house. Anyone know if poss?

Probably well worth it - I'm having problems with ITV channels but it's
probably not the Netgem's fault. Lots of cables included in the price
unlike other boxes.

Old July 10th 03, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ray Bellis

Scott Cummings wrote:
1. Correct the latest 4.2.3 update (as well as previous two other
updates) have support for ADSL/Cable Modem you will however still
need to dialup via built-in modem to download the latest update
which means a 30-35mins or more phone call to begin with as I don't
think any Netgem I-Players out the box have 4.2.3 but it's worth the
dialup for for the update.

That's not correct.

If you have a network there is support for a limited number of USB
*ethernet* adapters, which would allow you to connect to the internet via an
existing broadband router. There's also some unofficial support for a few
USB WiFi adapters.

However the i-Player does *not* have direct support for any USB ADSL modems.

Ray

Old July 10th 03, 05:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tenex

Ray Bellis wrote:
Scott Cummings wrote:
1. Correct the latest 4.2.3 update (as well as previous two other
updates) have support for ADSL/Cable Modem you will however still
need to dialup via built-in modem to download the latest update
which means a 30-35mins or more phone call to begin with as I don't
think any Netgem I-Players out the box have 4.2.3 but it's worth the
dialup for for the update.

That's not correct.

If you have a network there is support for a limited number of USB
*ethernet* adapters, which would allow you to connect to the internet
via an existing broadband router. There's also some unofficial
support for a few USB WiFi adapters.

However the i-Player does *not* have direct support for any USB ADSL
modems.

Ray

Also they are now shipping with 4.2.3 but may not be with your retailer yet.