BBC's jubilee coverage receiving lots of flak.

Old June 5th 12, 10:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Doctor D

Default BBC's jubilee coverage receiving lots of flak.

On 04/06/2012 15:05, wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 14:22:53 +0100, wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9310251/Diamond-Jubilee-criticism-grows-of-BBCs-lamentable-coverage.html

In complete agreement. I don't think I've sworn at TV so much before.
Every time I got interested they switched away to some z list celeb.
Must admit didn't think to trying Sky

Should have done - we switched to Sky after ten minutes. Just one presenter
occasionally in vision, mostly let the pictures speak for themselves, with
commentary only when needed.

As someone who normally avoids Sky, we switched to Sky News from the Beeb
after countless dull interviews and trivia which took us away from the real
action.
Hardly any adverts on SN and a far more considered commentary.

Old June 5th 12, 12:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_7_]

Martin wrote:

Better than old lady goes out for lunch and has to listen to long
winded speeches.

I'm sure a Gin and Buckfast^W Dubonnet takes the edge off the day nicely.

Old June 5th 12, 12:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phil Cook

On 05/06/2012 13:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin wrote:

Better than old lady goes out for lunch and has to listen to long
winded speeches.

I'm sure a Gin and Buckfast^W Dubonnet takes the edge off the day nicely.

That was her mum's tipple.
--
Phil Cook
Old June 5th 12, 01:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_7_]

Phil Cook wrote:

On 05/06/2012 13:53, Andy Burns wrote:

I'm sure a Gin and Buckfast^W Dubonnet takes the edge off the day nicely.

That was her mum's tipple.

Like mother, like daughter; see entry for June 28th

http://telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/t.../5743411/.html

Old June 5th 12, 03:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phil Cook

On 05/06/2012 16:14, Martin wrote:

"Despite her varying day-to-day arrangements, the Queen is very much a
creature of habit. Every day, she likes a gin and Dubonnet immediately
before lunch, and tea and biscuits at about 5pm. "But most of the
biscuits go to the corgis," reveals an aide."

No mention of drip feed.

Oh, I imagine Prince Charles get fed sometime. ;-)
--
Phil Cook
Old June 5th 12, 04:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Davey" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 18:48:23 +0100
Alan wrote:

In message , Martin
wrote

634x528.jpg

and the video here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...jubilee/930949
7/Thames-Diamond-Jubilee-River-Pageant-The-Highlights.html

Exactly, I've just watched that highlight video - where were all the
tall ships hyped last week? - where were all the powered craft? Just
repeated views of rowing boats and those bells!

I must admit i gave up after watching the live coverage about 1.5
hours in.

I only found out by hearing one quick comment that the Tall Ships, and
presumably the other sailing vessels, were moored in an Avenue of Sail.
I don't remember any mention of that early on, and we were watching for
them especially.
--
Davey.

You were not paying attention - it was mentioned early on that the tall
ships were moored down stream of Tower Bridge, because even if it were up
they could not pass under it.

Old June 5th 12, 05:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall

In article ,
Martin writes:
On 5 Jun 2012 10:34:39 GMT, Huge wrote:

"Real action"? What real action? Old lady goes for boat ride. Yawn. Thank Ghod
it's all over today.

Better than old lady goes out for lunch and has to listen to long
winded speeches.

I suspect that the old lady's least favourite part of the festivities
was having to sit through a pop concert. I don't suppose that an
86-year-old would have enjoyed much of it. At least she was allowed to
turn up halfway through rather than have to sit through all of it.
--
John Hall
Johnson: "Well, we had a good talk."
Old June 5th 12, 05:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 17:39:14 +0100
"R. Mark Clayton" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 18:48:23 +0100
Alan wrote:

[...]

Ah, ok. That was when I was still getting sorted. It was still terrible
coverage, though.
--
Davey.
Old June 5th 12, 07:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mikeos

On 05/06/2012 11:22, Doctor D wrote:

As someone who normally avoids Sky, we switched to Sky News from the
Beeb after countless dull interviews and trivia which took us away from
the real action.
Hardly any adverts on SN and a far more considered commentary.

the ads are a problem, but apart from that we're starting to prefer the
Sky news to the BBC. Definitely it's better than the BBC News 24 channel.