Pro's and cons of different tv types

Old April 21st 12, 07:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Hugh Newbury

Default Pro's and cons of different tv types

I'm thinking of getting a new tv, but I know nothing of the advantages
or otherwise of the various types: OLED, edge lit, plasma, etc. I have
googled, but can't find a site that explains the basics.

Any advice from you knowledgeable lot?

TIA

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old April 21st 12, 08:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

Bet that gets some confusing answers.
For what its worth my brother who is very fussy about picture quality got
this deal from John Lewis this week.
http://www.johnlewis.com/231589058/Product.aspx
Regards
David

Old April 21st 12, 08:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Most people would I think say that if it works and looks good then sod what
type of screen it has.
I'd not go plazma myself though.

Email:

Old April 21st 12, 09:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David WE Roberts[_3_]

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting a new tv, but I know nothing of the advantages or
otherwise of the various types: OLED, edge lit, plasma, etc. I have
googled, but can't find a site that explains the basics.

Any advice from you knowledgeable lot?

Where is it going?
How big do you want it to be?
Do you want 3D?
Do you want Internet connection?
FreeView only or FreeSat as well?
USB port?
SD card slot to display pictures aqnd movies?
How many connections and what type?
HDMI for newer devices.
SCART, composite video etc. for any legacy devices you wish to retain.
Sound performance, sound outputs for AV system or sound bar.

Probably more important, how rich are you? ;-)

Or are you just asking about screen technology?

Currently you can have either a Plasma TV (a bit power hungry, slight fan
noise, generally good picture) or a variation on an LCD TV.

Plasma from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_display.

"A plasma display panel (PDP) is a type of flat panel display common to
large TV displays 30 inches (76 cm) or larger. They are called "plasma"
displays because the technology utilizes small cells containing electrically
charged ionized gases, or what are in essence chambers more commonly known
as fluorescent lamps."

LCD from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lcd_display.

"A liquid crystal display (LCD) is a flat panel display, electronic visual
display, or video display that uses the light modulating properties of
liquid crystals (LCs). LCs do not emit light directly."

So the main difference is that plasma emmits light directly but LCD needs a
seperate light source.
In fact, reading the Wiki pags should answer most of your questions.

With the LCD TVs most of the fancy names (LED etc.) just refer to the method
of providing back lighting to the LCD screen and are probably less important
than the list of options above which govern how you will connect up and use
the TV. A poor screen with fancy backlighting is trumped by a good screen
with more traditional back lighting.
Most important is the decoding and rendering software built into the TV, and
the reputation of the supplier for providing updates.

A new variation of TV screen is nearly here - OLED.
http://www.oled-info.com/oled-tv
Potentially the next technology and allegedly better than plasma or LCD.
However there are costs and associated risks in being an early adopter
(which is why I asked how rich you are) so unless you have the cash and
burning desire to be the first kid on the block with OLED it is probably
wise to wait a year or two for the early bugs to settle and the costs to
come down.

Last question, which really should be the first one, what is wrong with your
current TV?
Or is this an extra set e.g. for the bedroom?

Oh, and http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php is usualy a good resource.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old April 21st 12, 09:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

You mention Plasma using more power, but aren't they heavier as well, maybe
a 2 man lift ?
Regards
David

Old April 21st 12, 09:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Hugh Newbury

On 21/04/12 10:26, David WE Roberts wrote:

Where is it going?

Sittingroom
How big do you want it to be?

19"
Do you want 3D?

No
Do you want Internet connection?

No
FreeView only or FreeSat as well?

Freeview only
USB port?

No
SD card slot to display pictures aqnd movies?

No
How many connections and what type?

SCART x 2
HDMI for newer devices.
SCART, composite video etc. for any legacy devices you wish to retain.
Sound performance, sound outputs for AV system or sound bar.

Output

Probably more important, how rich are you? ;-)

Not very!

Or are you just asking about screen technology?

Yes

[large snip]

Dave R

Thanks, Dave!

Hugh
Old April 21st 12, 09:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

Well I have picked up on the are you rich bit, and from your response I see
you not want to pay a lot out.
I would suggest therefor you look at the popular sizes say 32" because of
sales and manufacturing volume could well be in same price bracket as the
smaller sizes indeed might be cheaper.
Most people seem to say after buying next time I will get a larger size.
A lot of the features you say no to will be on so just ignore them, think
you saying no to HDMi but I feel in time to come you will.

Old April 21st 12, 09:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

Hugh Newbury wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a new tv, but I know nothing of the advantages
or otherwise of the various types: OLED, edge lit, plasma, etc. I have
googled, but can't find a site that explains the basics.

Any advice from you knowledgeable lot?

Plasma is obsolescent technology. It is also expensive on electricity
and tends to cause a lot of radio interference.

Edge lit is orthogonal to the main screen technology.
Old April 21st 12, 10:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Gary[_4_]

On 21/04/2012 10:39, Hugh Newbury wrote:
[...]

Don't buy cheap.

Look for a good make.
See before you buy

Look at dark picture type content Look at stuff with a lot of moment as
well to see how it looks.

19 " is very small nowadays .

Dont forget to make sure it sounds OK. the speakers on these things can
sound realy awfull.

Plasma don't do 19" as far as I can see.
Do get full HD
Old April 21st 12, 10:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_2_]

In article , Hugh Newbury wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a new tv, but I know nothing of the advantages
or otherwise of the various types: OLED, edge lit, plasma, etc. I have
googled, but can't find a site that explains the basics.

Any advice from you knowledgeable lot?

Plasmas consume more power than the others, which might be an important
consideration. Apart than that, just choose something you like the look
of, which will fit where you want to install it, and which has sockets
for all the things you want to connect to it.

Ignore any claims to do with wi-fi or internet facilities. They'll be
slow, awkward to use, and restricted to whatever the proprietary software
on the TV can manage, and you may have to buy an expensive adaptor which
is exclusive to the TV. If you want to watch Youtube, iPlayer, Flickr,
TED, etc on a TV, just plug a computer into it.

Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/