Pro's and cons of different tv types

Old April 21st 12, 03:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Hugh Newbury

Default Pro's and cons of different tv types

On 21/04/12 08:53, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a new tv, but I know nothing of the advantages
or otherwise of the various types: OLED, edge lit, plasma, etc. I have
googled, but can't find a site that explains the basics.

Any advice from you knowledgeable lot?

Thanks all for the excellent help and advice. I'll think about it for a
month or two!

Hugh

Old April 21st 12, 03:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Adrian
writes
David wrote:
I'm on MicroSoft Windows Live Mail and people complain that it not
show the marks.
Regards
David

So get a popper newsreader or end up in lots of killfiles.

I'm experimenting with Thunderbird (in parallel with my normal
Turnpike). Without checking, I'm pretty sure that Thunderbird has the
option of automatically putting the reply cursor either at the top or
the bottom. And, like any good e-mail/news client, it also does quotes
properly. To do things wrongly, you really have to try hard.
--
Ian
Old April 21st 12, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

Your choice Adrian.
Another NG that had complainers seems to be able to follow my posts now.
By the way I have had Windows 7 a while now the latest WLM came with it.
Regards
David

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...

Old April 21st 12, 03:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

John Legon wrote:

I am not at all sure that this is still the case - at least with the
Samsung super-PVA LCD panel in my new 40" TV, I've been amazed by the
inky blackness of the blacks even with low ambient lighting.

I looked carefully at all the Samsung range (although this was a few
months ago now). Online reviews still complained about the blotchy
backlighting on the top-of-the-range Samsungs. I also saw the problem
in a dimly-lit viewing room (although of course I don't know the
specific model you are referring to).

On my previous posh Sony I found that, if you wound the backlight down
far enough to be invisible on the dark bits, the overall picture was
just too dull and lacking in any vibrance.

However, I am in a minority! Many, many people buy a mid-range LCD TV
and are entirely happy with all aspects of its picture. I really wish
I were one; I'd be about four grand better off.

Meanwhile, I guess all we can do is each report our differing opinions
to the OP, and let him wade through them trying to make some sense out
of them. :-)

--
SteveT

Old April 21st 12, 03:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Ooops - I've just realised the OP is talking about a 19" TV.

This is TINY!! This isn't a TV, it's a mobile phone! I don't think
he'd notice any of the stuff I was talking about on a 19" screen.

Thus I recommend Hugh ignores my contribution.

--
SteveT

Old April 21st 12, 04:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham C

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:27:43 +0100, Hugh Newbury
wrote:

On 21/04/12 08:53, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a new tv, but I know nothing of the advantages
or otherwise of the various types: OLED, edge lit, plasma, etc. I have
googled, but can't find a site that explains the basics.

Any advice from you knowledgeable lot?

Thanks all for the excellent help and advice. I'll think about it for a
month or two!

Hugh

In a month or two everything will have changed. Sets with scarts are
becoming somewhat rare - they may have disappeared completely on
anything worth buying.

I have an LCD Sony (EX503). Two friends (on my advice) have recently
bought LED backlit versions (EX7xx) as the CFL versions are now
obsolete. IMO the picture is a little inferior - the sound definitely
is.

GrahamC.
Old April 21st 12, 04:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Adrian
writes
David wrote:
I'm on MicroSoft Windows Live Mail and people complain that it not
show the marks.
Regards
David

So get a popper newsreader or end up in lots of killfiles.

I'm experimenting with Thunderbird (in parallel with my normal
Turnpike). Without checking, I'm pretty sure that Thunderbird has the
option of automatically putting the reply cursor either at the top or
the bottom. And, like any good e-mail/news client, it also does quotes
properly. To do things wrongly, you really have to try hard.

Well your post looks absolutely fine to me.

--
Adrian
Old April 21st 12, 04:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan[_4_]

In message , Graham C
wrote

I have an LCD Sony (EX503). Two friends (on my advice) have recently
bought LED backlit versions (EX7xx) as the CFL versions are now
obsolete. IMO the picture is a little inferior - the sound definitely
is.

Sony are abandoning OLED technology and partnerships in the upper end
LCD manufacture so perhaps expect their future products to be made to a
lower price/specification as they try and trade on their previous name
for quality to stem 8 years of losses selling TVs.
--
Alan
Old April 21st 12, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian

David wrote:
Your choice Adrian.
Another NG that had complainers seems to be able to follow my posts now.
By the way I have had Windows 7 a while now the latest WLM came with it.
Regards
David

I've been using Windows 7 for years. It looks like you're just being
lazy and accepting what's handed to you on a plate.

--
Adrian
Old April 21st 12, 04:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_4_]

On 21/04/2012 17:26, Adrian wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Adrian
writes
David wrote:
I'm on MicroSoft Windows Live Mail and people complain that it not
show the marks.
Regards
David

So get a popper newsreader or end up in lots of killfiles.

I'm experimenting with Thunderbird (in parallel with my normal
Turnpike). Without checking, I'm pretty sure that Thunderbird has the
option of automatically putting the reply cursor either at the top or
the bottom. And, like any good e-mail/news client, it also does quotes
properly. To do things wrongly, you really have to try hard.

Well your post looks absolutely fine to me.

Well, it would do - as I was using Turnpike.

However, this is Thunderbird. It will look the same.