Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Digital Switchover + Ariel (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30584)

species8350 March 11th 12 11:43 AM

Digital Switchover + Ariel

I posted the messge below into the wrong group. I am reposing here to
see if there are other views.

I use analogue TV, but will soon lose the channels.

The reception for digital is not good with my existing arial

Is there a quick way for me to increase the gain of my current arial

Thanks

Ps. UK

Pps. If anyone is interested, other comments were made in
alt.video.digital-tv

Andy Burns[_7_] March 11th 12 12:31 PM

Digital Switchover + Ariel

species8350 wrote:

I use analogue TV, but will soon lose the channels.
The reception for digital is not good with my existing arial

if reception of the analogue channels is good with your existing aerial,
the chances are that some or all of the digital channels will be fine
after switchover.

Is there a quick way for me to increase the gain of my current arial

If you give your rough location and details of which transmitter you
use, and wsome details of your aerial (e.g. approximate age,
indoor/outdoor/loft, whether the rods are horizontal/vertical) others
will chip in more info ...

Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] March 11th 12 12:32 PM

Digital Switchover + Ariel

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 05:43:48 -0700 (PDT), species8350
wrote:

I posted the messge below into the wrong group. I am reposing here to
see if there are other views.

I use analogue TV, but will soon lose the channels.

The reception for digital is not good with my existing arial

How do you know?

Is there a quick way for me to increase the gain of my current arial

Fit an amplifier. Redirect your aerial.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Scott[_2_] March 11th 12 12:39 PM

Digital Switchover + Ariel

wrote:

I posted the messge below into the wrong group. I am reposing here to
see if there are other views.

I use analogue TV, but will soon lose the channels.

The reception for digital is not good with my existing arial

Is there a quick way for me to increase the gain of my current arial

Don't use washing powder
http://www.ariel.co.uk/Products/ArielPowder.aspx

Use an aerial instead :-)

J G Miller[_3_] March 11th 12 12:44 PM

Digital Switchover + Ariel

On Sunday, March 11th, 2012, at 13:32:52h +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme commanded:

Fit an amplifier.

The poster already wrote that he thinks he already has an amplifier.

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 05:30:42 -0700, species8350 wrote:

I assume that adding a reflector to the back of the antenna to reflect
any signals back to the rods is not a good idea. It looks like the
ariel has some fom of booster attached. I cannot see this, but it is
plugged into the mains.

Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] March 11th 12 12:52 PM

Digital Switchover + Ariel

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 13:44:16 +0000 (UTC), J G Miller
wrote:

On Sunday, March 11th, 2012, at 13:32:52h +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme commanded:

Fit an amplifier.

The poster already wrote that he thinks he already has an amplifier.

Not on the group I'm reading.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Mark Carver March 11th 12 12:56 PM

Digital Switchover + Ariel

species8350 wrote:
I posted the messge below into the wrong group. I am reposing here to
see if there are other views.

I use analogue TV, but will soon lose the channels.

The reception for digital is not good with my existing arial

At the same time analogue broadcasts are terminated, the power of the digital
broadcasts increase significantly.

I wouldn't do anything until the first stage of switch-over actually occurs,
at that point you may well start to receive the digital channels without
problems.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk

charles March 11th 12 01:08 PM

Digital Switchover + Ariel

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:
species8350 wrote:
I posted the messge below into the wrong group. I am reposing here to
see if there are other views.

I use analogue TV, but will soon lose the channels.

The reception for digital is not good with my existing arial

At the same time analogue broadcasts are terminated, the power of the
digital broadcasts increase significantly.

If you are watching a local relay any digital you are getting now is not
intended for reception in your area. Relays only get digital signals at
teh first stage of switchover.

I wouldn't do anything until the first stage of switch-over actually
occurs, at that point you may well start to receive the digital channels
without problems.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Scott[_2_] March 11th 12 01:12 PM

Digital Switchover + Ariel

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 13:56:16 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

species8350 wrote:
I posted the messge below into the wrong group. I am reposing here to
see if there are other views.

I use analogue TV, but will soon lose the channels.

The reception for digital is not good with my existing arial

At the same time analogue broadcasts are terminated, the power of the digital
broadcasts increase significantly.

I wouldn't do anything until the first stage of switch-over actually occurs,
at that point you may well start to receive the digital channels without
problems.

From what I hear this is presenting its own challenges, with some
people receiving signals from several transmitters and not always
having the strongest signal the one used. I received signals from
three different transmitters and each device coped with the situation
in a different way. One (Sony, I think) allowed me be to choose the
transmitter (although the names presented were not exactly helpful).
On two others I had to find out the appropriate channel numbers and do
a manual scan for each channel from the chosen transmitter.

I wonder how many people are tuned into a distant transmitter and
thinking the reception is worse now than it was before the
switch-over?

Scott

[email protected] March 11th 12 01:28 PM

Digital Switchover + Ariel

wrote:

I posted the messge below into the wrong group. I am reposing here to
see if there are other views.

I use analogue TV, but will soon lose the channels.

The reception for digital is not good with my existing arial

Is there a quick way for me to increase the gain of my current arial

Thanks

Ps. UK

Pps. If anyone is interested, other comments were made in
alt.video.digital-tv

As others have said, WAIT.

If you are getting *some* digital signal now, it will improve
significantly after DSO.

Do not be persuaded/panicked into changing your aerial if it is not
necessary.

You will of course have to retune your set.