Digital Switchover + Ariel

Old March 11th 12, 09:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Cummins[_2_]

Default Digital Switchover + Ariel

We were about to embark at Dover, when (Bill Wright)
came up to me and whispered:

I knew someone would get on their soapbox about the spelling.

They just want to DAZzle us with their erudition. Funnily
enough I was in the laundrette the other day and the place was
full of Omos.

It'll all come out in the wash. As long as somone is Bold enough to stand
up against the Tide of bad puns. Surf's up...

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----
Old March 12th 12, 01:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:31:23 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

Is there a quick way for me to increase the gain of my current arial

Fit an amplifier. Redirect your aerial.

Steve

As an aerial installer with 45 years experience I still haven't learnt
how to diagnose a
need for realignment and amplification, and discount all other
possibilities, without actually seeing the installation. I must be so thick.

Bill

As an ex aerial installer I know what you mean but the OP wanted a
quick way DIY method so that's what I am suggesting.

But you could be wasting his time and money. He didn't want a quick DIY
way, he wanted something that would improve his reception. When you were
an installer would you fit an amp without checking
-- aerial channel group
-- aerial polarisation
-- possibility of relocating the aerial
-- possible use of a different transmitter
-- faulty downlead
-- splitters etc, long forgotten but still there
-- receiver problems?

Old March 12th 12, 07:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:43:28 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:

So, either the TV figured out Sutton C was providing the best quality
signals (that's where the aerial is directed towards),

On an analyser screen muxes from transmitters other than the one the
aerial is looking at look absolutely dreadful, with
constructive/destructive interference turning a mux from Holland into
the Alps. Obviously the BER suffers, and I'm sure the difference is
enough for even the most basic of kit to detect.

Bill

Trouble is, some TVs still 'choose' the weaker Tx preferentially.
I was looking at one a couple of weeks ago where the aerial was pointing at
Sandy (log 40, so OK for Sandy) but all of the low LCNs were Oxford, poor
and some missing. Sandy was up in the 800s. Couldn't do anything as the TV
was too basic to allow manual tuning.

BTW, did the OP mention K-glass? I recall a mate's house having such windows
fitted and the DAB radio, perfect through ordinary DG, would't show anything
at all through the new windows. Perhaps that's some of the problem.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 12th 12, 09:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Mark Carver wrote:

So, either the TV figured out Sutton C was providing the best quality
signals (that's where the aerial is directed towards),

On an analyser screen muxes from transmitters other than the one the
aerial is looking at look absolutely dreadful, with
constructive/destructive interference turning a mux from Holland into
the Alps. Obviously the BER suffers, and I'm sure the difference is
enough for even the most basic of kit to detect.

Bill

Trouble is, some TVs still 'choose' the weaker Tx preferentially.

I should have said, "the most basic of kit that pretends to make an
attempt at discrimination."

Old March 12th 12, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
species8350

Mark Carver wrote:

So, either the TV figured out Sutton C was providing the best quality
signals (that's where the aerial is directed towards),
On an analyser screen muxes from transmitters other than the one the
aerial is looking at look absolutely dreadful, with
constructive/destructive interference turning a mux from Holland into
the Alps. Obviously the BER suffers, and I'm sure the difference is
enough for even the most basic of kit to detect.

Bill

Trouble is, some TVs still 'choose' the weaker Tx preferentially.

I should have said, "the most basic of kit that pretends to make an
attempt at discrimination."

Bill

Thank you all for responding.

I note there is some interest in my location and aerial.

I live about 8 miles east of Brighton (Saltdean), in Sussex.
The house is on a hill and the aerial is in the loft (good analogue
reception).

The aerial is about 3 feet long with 9 veritical spikes, and one large
vertical spike at the end.

The aerial is directed approximately NE.

Best wishes.

Old March 12th 12, 12:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_7_]

species8350 wrote:

I live about 8 miles east of Brighton (Saltdean), in Sussex.
The house is on a hill and the aerial is in the loft (good analogue
reception).
The aerial is about 3 feet long with 9 veritical spikes, and one large
vertical spike at the end.
The aerial is directed approximately NE.

The aerial being vertical confirms you are using a relay, your location
and direction shows it is likely to be the saltdean relay.

pre-switch off that relay will not have been transmitting any digital
signals, so whatever poor digital signal you're getting is "by accident"
from another transmitter and explains why it is poor.

Your probably know the switchover will be in two parts, after the second
part the relay will be transmitting two SD muxes and one HD mux, your
existing aerial should be fine for these.

the two SD muxes will contain all BBC channels plus
ITV1/itv2/c4/more4/e4/C5/etc, the HD mux will give HD versions of
BBC1/ITV1/C4 and BBCHD, but only if you have a HD TV (or a HD Ready TV
and an HD STB) make sure you look for the exact phrase "Freeview HD" if
buying a new TV or STB.

You won't get the commercial muxes from that relay
(ITV3/itv4/yesterday/dave/film4/etc/etc/etc/etc/etc/etc)

Rowridge will have all muxes, but looks dubious due to hills and would
need a horizontal groupA aerial, yours existing one is likely to be a
groupE.

Old March 12th 12, 12:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
species8350 wrote:

[...]

Rowridge is more likely to be over a fading sea path, although there might
be a local hill which screens the area from Whitehawk Hill.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old March 12th 12, 12:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_]

wrote:

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

Is there a quick way for me to increase the gain of my current arial

Fit an amplifier. Redirect your aerial.

Steve
As an aerial installer with 45 years experience I still haven't learnt
how to diagnose a
need for realignment and amplification, and discount all other
possibilities, without actually seeing the installation. I must be so thick.

Bill

As an ex aerial installer I know what you mean but the OP wanted a
quick way DIY method so that's what I am suggesting.

But you could be wasting his time and money. He didn't want a quick DIY
way, he wanted something that would improve his reception. When you were
an installer would you fit an amp without checking

When I was an installer nearly 50 years ago, amps were far too
expensive to fit just to see what happened but now that they are cheap
and easy to fit I know it's worth trying first. Just plugging the amp
in often reveals cabling problems. The OP wanted a quick way to
increase the gain and adding an amp is by far the quickest test before
more technical investigations. I'm too old to fix my any reception
problems these day so I called an aerial installer recently. The first
thing he did was add an amp. AAMOI he then stuck a pin in lowest part
of the down lead in order to check for water in the cable.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old March 12th 12, 12:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

When I was an installer nearly 50 years ago, amps were far too
expensive to fit just to see what happened but now that they are cheap
and easy to fit I know it's worth trying first. Just plugging the amp
in often reveals cabling problems. The OP wanted a quick way to
increase the gain and adding an amp is by far the quickest test before
more technical investigations. I'm too old to fix my any reception
problems these day so I called an aerial installer recently. The first
thing he did was add an amp. AAMOI he then stuck a pin in lowest part
of the down lead in order to check for water in the cable.

then, of course, he'd have to replace the cable becasue it had a "pinhole"
in it.

Can't have been much of an aerial installer, the first thing he should have
done was to measure the signal.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18