Digital Switchover + Ariel

Old March 11th 12, 01:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

Default Digital Switchover + Ariel

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 05:43:48 -0700 (PDT), species8350
wrote:

I use analogue TV, but will soon lose the channels.

The reception for digital is not good with my existing arial

Pre Digital-Switch-Over digital broadcast come/came only from a subset
of 80 out of 1130-40 transmitters, and at greatly reduced power
compared with pre-existing analogue broadcasts. From any given
transmitter after DSO, allowing for improvements in receiver
sensitivity, digital broadcasts will be comparable in strength to
former analogue broadcasts.

Is there a quick way for me to increase the gain of my current arial

Very probably you don't need to do this. I would wait at least until
after DSO Stage 1, probably Stage 2, to see how things pan out.

Although there have been many variations at given transmitters,
generally:

1) At DSO Stage 1, BBC 2 analogue (and where applicable at the 80
aforementioned transmitters, the weaker pre-DSO digital multiplex/mux
known variously as PSB 1/Mux A/BBC A) is(are) switched off, and
replaced by the BBC A mux at full power.

2) At Stage 2, all remaining analogue (and where applicable weaker
pre-DSO digital) broadcasts are switched off and are replaced with at
least the remaining two PSB muxes, D3&4 and BBC B(HD), and, if one of
the aforementioned 80 transmitters, the three Com muxes, all at full
power.

So, if after Stage 1 you can pick up the BBC A mux, thus getting
digital versions of all the BBC channels, you shouldn't need to worry.

If you want a canter around the DSO course beforehand, you will
probably find this section on my site useful:
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...estrialTV.html
Old March 11th 12, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Scott wrote:

From what I hear this is presenting its own challenges, with some
people receiving signals from several transmitters and not always
having the strongest signal the one used. I received signals from
three different transmitters and each device coped with the situation
in a different way. One (Sony, I think) allowed me be to choose the
transmitter (although the names presented were not exactly helpful).
On two others I had to find out the appropriate channel numbers and do
a manual scan for each channel from the chosen transmitter.

The name the latest Sony TVs show you is the regional ID that your main
station injects.
Any relays of that main station, carry the same ID, and therefore the TV will
still only be aware of one region. However, I had a play with a Sony TV in
Leamington Spa recently. There the relay provides just as good a signal as
Sutton Coldfield. Running a rescan only resulted in one set of channels being
stored, the TV totally ignored the relay station. If I tuned manually to it,
it was receivable, with healthy bar graph readings.

So, either the TV figured out Sutton C was providing the best quality signals
(that's where the aerial is directed towards), or because SC is lower in the
UHF band, it found it first, and simply ignored the local relay. I'd love to
try a situation where the 'unwanted' is below the 'wanted' but carries the
same ID !

I wonder how many people are tuned into a distant transmitter and
thinking the reception is worse now than it was before the
switch-over?

Quite a few I suspect !

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old March 11th 12, 02:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:08:24 +0000 (GMT), charles

Mark Carver wrote:
species8350 wrote:
I posted the messge below into the wrong group. I am reposing here to
see if there are other views.

I use analogue TV, but will soon lose the channels.

The reception for digital is not good with my existing arial

At the same time analogue broadcasts are terminated, the power of the
digital broadcasts increase significantly.

If you are watching a local relay any digital you are getting now is not
intended for reception in your area. Relays only get digital signals at
teh first stage of switchover.

How do you make that out? There must be many people (if not most)
whose local relay transmits the same variants as the main transmitter
for the same area. Our relay before switchover transmitted the same
analogue stations as the main transmitter (from which it obtained its
signal AIUI) and now transmits the same digital variants as the main
transmitter.
Old March 11th 12, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

wrote:

If you are watching a local relay any digital you are getting now is not
intended for reception in your area. Relays only get digital signals at
teh first stage of switchover.

How do you make that out? There must be many people (if not most)
whose local relay transmits the same variants as the main transmitter
for the same area. Our relay before switchover transmitted the same
analogue stations as the main transmitter (from which it obtained its
signal AIUI) and now transmits the same digital variants as the main
transmitter.

I think you are misunderstanding what Charles wrote.

Apart from the major power / major population analog relays which
also broadcast the digital multiplexes prior to analog switch off
(and which were not in fact digital relays but daughter stations),
no other relay site transmitted any digital services at all, with
the special exception of Ferryside.

Ferryside continues to be exceptional because it is the only
relay in the UKofGB&NI which broadcasts the COM-1 (SDN) multiplex.
Old March 11th 12, 04:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

J G Miller wrote:

I think you are misunderstanding what Charles wrote.

Apart from the major power / major population analog relays which
also broadcast the digital multiplexes prior to analog switch off
(and which were not in fact digital relays but daughter stations),
no other relay site transmitted any digital services at all, with
the special exception of Ferryside.

I think you've misunderstood what Scott misunderstood about what Charles wrote.

I think Scott thought Charles was inferring that a relay wouldn't carry the
same regional variation as the main station. Of course it does.

What Charles was getting at (I think) is that relays will be serving areas
that their parent main station does not cover. Because the majority of relays
before DSO did not/do not carry any digital services, then many people will
have no digital reception at all, until that relay undergoes DSO.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old March 11th 12, 04:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

Is there a quick way for me to increase the gain of my current arial

Fit an amplifier. Redirect your aerial.

Steve

As an aerial installer with 45 years experience I still haven't learnt
how to diagnose a
need for realignment and amplification, and discount all other
possibilities, without actually seeing the installation. I must be so thick.

Old March 11th 12, 04:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Scott wrote:

Don't use washing powder
http://www.ariel.co.uk/Products/ArielPowder.aspx

Use an aerial instead :-)

Leave t'lad be.

Old March 11th 12, 04:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Mark Carver wrote:

So, either the TV figured out Sutton C was providing the best quality
signals (that's where the aerial is directed towards),

On an analyser screen muxes from transmitters other than the one the
aerial is looking at look absolutely dreadful, with
constructive/destructive interference turning a mux from Holland into
the Alps. Obviously the BER suffers, and I'm sure the difference is
enough for even the most basic of kit to detect.

Old March 11th 12, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian

species8350 wrote:
I posted the messge below into the wrong group. I am reposing here to
see if there are other views.

I use analogue TV, but will soon lose the channels.

The reception for digital is not good with my existing arial

Is there a quick way for me to increase the gain of my current arial

Thanks

Ps. UK

Pps. If anyone is interested, other comments were made in
alt.video.digital-tv

The best thing would be to wait for DSO and review the situation then,
you may need to do nothing.

--
Adrian
Old March 11th 12, 04:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian

wrote:

I posted the messge below into the wrong group. I am reposing here to
see if there are other views.

I use analogue TV, but will soon lose the channels.

The reception for digital is not good with my existing arial

Is there a quick way for me to increase the gain of my current arial

Don't use washing powder
http://www.ariel.co.uk/Products/ArielPowder.aspx

Use an aerial instead :-)

I knew someone would get on their soapbox about the spelling.

--
Adrian