Digital Switchover + Ariel

Old March 16th 12, 03:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
species8350

Default Digital Switchover + Ariel

On Mar 15, 8:07*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Wade wrote:
On 14/03/2012 14:22, Andy Burns wrote:

but that sort of thing

There's not much point in quoting the analogue vision carrier frequency
(rounded to the nearest MHz) in the age of digital. For digital it's
usual to quote the channel centre frequency and for channel N this is 8
times N + 306 megahertz.

Thanks. I know ... but we were discussing analogue channels with a
possible single digital channel, so I thought it was close enough for
the discussion.

Where is Ceefax in digital B1?

Is there a Teletext equivalent to P160 in Ceefax?

Out of interest, I tried using the grid reference TQ 38800 34000 in
Google Maps to track down the location of the transmitter. I did not
have much luck. Do nyou know how to use these co-ordinates?

I note that there are aerial groups listed at Digital UK , i.e, C/ D
V. Is it possible to determine by looking at the geometry of the
aerial to which group my aerial belongs? My guess is V means vertical
polarisation. I note that Heathfiled is horizontal.

I note that Channels are not listed for digital!

Best wishes.

Ps. That box that I mentioned previously, is not the signal strength
as I said, but I believe that is represents the extent of the
programme duration. Signal strengths and qualities in digital are both
strong.

PPS. Learning all the time.
Old March 16th 12, 04:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article
,
species8350 wrote:

[Snip]

Out of interest, I tried using the grid reference TQ 38800 34000 in
Google Maps to track down the location of the transmitter. I did not
have much luck. Do nyou know how to use these co-ordinates?

The National Grid reference system is a UK only system. It is, therefore,
not surprising that Google (american) doesn't understand it. Try using
www.streetmap.co.uk instead. And, BTW, you have the grid reference wrong
it's TQ 388 034.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old March 16th 12, 06:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

J G Miller wrote:
On Thursday, March 15th, 2012, at 15:23:27h +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

I think the adequate reception is coming from Newhaven, that will be a
three mux Tx after DSO, so no advantage over Saltdean.

But Species 8350 cannot be receiving any digital transmissions from
Newhaven because analog switch off does not occur at that site until

Wednesday, 30th May 2012 and
Wednesday, 13th June 2012

http://www.ukfree.TV/shutdowndetail.php?tx=TQ435006

and thus there are no digital transmissions from there at the present time.

Yes, I know that, I was responding to your assertion the the 'adequate
reception' was Heathfield. Yes, he was getting digital reception before
Saltdean's DSO. I don't think it was Heathfield, more likely Whitehawk (which
Saltdean is a relay of). I was referring to 'adequate reception' being the
secondary analogue signals, that I suspect are coming from Newhaven.

Never mind, let's get him up and running for DTT on the core PSBs, before we
start worrying about the COM muxes.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old March 16th 12, 06:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

species8350 wrote:

Where is Ceefax in digital B1?

Ceefax and Teletext are not carried on digital channels. You press the red
button for what is the replacement service.

Is there a Teletext equivalent to P160 in Ceefax?

On ITV and C4 ? No, it closed down a couple of years ago, all that's left are
a couple of 'We've Gone' pages, and out of date DSO data.

Out of interest, I tried using the grid reference TQ 38800 34000 in
Google Maps to track down the location of the transmitter. I did not
have much luck. Do nyou know how to use these co-ordinates?

Don't worry, use the two links, 'Google' or 'Bing OS' in the box at the top of
this page

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=573

I note that there are aerial groups listed at Digital UK , i.e, C/ D
V. Is it possible to determine by looking at the geometry of the
aerial to which group my aerial belongs? My guess is V means vertical
polarisation. I note that Heathfiled is horizontal.

Some of us in here might be able to, are you able to upload a photo to a
Picasa or Flikr site ?

Yes, V means vertical. Are there any horizontal aerials near you looking
towards Heathfield ?

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old March 16th 12, 08:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

On Friday, March 16th, 2012, at 07:23:10h +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

Yes, I know that, I was responding to your assertion the the 'adequate
reception' was Heathfield.

Sorry if I was not clear, but I never asserted that "adequate reception"
was from Heathfield.

As I thought my previous message made clear providing the details of
the transmissions from Whitehawk Hill (post analog switch off), my
hypothesis was that the poor digital signals which Species 8350 had
previously been receiving were from Whitehawk Hill.

I was referring to 'adequate reception' being the
secondary analogue signals, that I suspect are coming from Newhaven.

Yes for analog, that would fit the details provided.

Old March 16th 12, 08:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

On Thursday, March 15th, 2012, at 21:44:35h -0700, Species 8350 wrote:

Is it possible to determine by looking at the geometry of the
aerial to which group my aerial belongs?

Are you ignoring my posts totally?

I posted a link to a photograph of an antenna and asked you
if it resembled your antenna in your loft.
Old March 16th 12, 08:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_7_]

J G Miller wrote:

I posted a link to a photograph of an antenna and asked you
if it resembled your antenna in your loft.

It was a bit small, and superficially looked like "an aerial"

It was barely enough for un-initiated to distinguish a log periodic from
a yagi, let alone attempt to find the aerial group ... surely looking to
see if it has a coloured plastic plug would be the first thing?

But if (as seems reasonable) it's pointed at saltdean, isn't it also
reasonable to accept it is most likely to be a groupE as that was the
previous requirement?
Old March 16th 12, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

On Friday, March 16th, 2012, at 09:49:53h +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

isn't it also reasonable to accept it is most likely to be a groupE
as that was the previous requirement?

The fact that Species 8350 described the antenna as not having a reflector
and the fact that Group E antennas are not as widely available as they should
be, would tend to favor the hypothesis that it is more likely to be a
log periodic, a number of which are sold amplifiers, again in keeping with
the description provided by Species 8350.

Old March 16th 12, 09:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_7_]

J G Miller wrote:

The fact that Species 8350 described the antenna as not having a reflector

AFAIR the description wasn't "without a reflector" it was "with a spike
at the end".

and the fact that Group E antennas are not as widely available as they should
be, would tend to favor the hypothesis that it is more likely to be a
log periodic, a number of which are sold amplifiers, again in keeping with
the description provided by Species 8350.

Yes an amp was mentioned, I've not used a relay transmitter since going
caravanning with my parents, is an amp normally required with a low
power relay under a mile away?
Old March 16th 12, 09:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

J G Miller wrote:
On Friday, March 16th, 2012, at 09:49:53h +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

isn't it also reasonable to accept it is most likely to be a groupE
as that was the previous requirement?

The fact that Species 8350 described the antenna as not having a reflector
and the fact that Group E antennas are not as widely available as they should
be, would tend to favor the hypothesis that it is more likely to be a
log periodic, a number of which are sold amplifiers, again in keeping with
the description provided by Species 8350.

It could well be a Group C/D, it's only C4 analogue on Ch 47 that makes the Tx
a Group E site, and only 8 MHz out of band.

Brighton area riggers would have had van loads of C/Ds, it's even possible the
aerial was originally on Whitehawk, and redirected at Saltdean when it opened
in 1983.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk