Connection problems with Samsung TV and Hard disc recorders

Old February 1st 12, 07:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D Smith[_2_]

Default Connection problems with Samsung TV and Hard disc recorders

"J G Miller" wrote in message
On Tuesday, Januar 31st, 2012, at 19:21:21h +0000, Clive wrote:

If you've not already gone to the right device switched on as
is displayed in the menu, the set just sits there with a blank screen,
it doesn't look for another input.

Indeed not, there is not autoswitching as there can be with SCART.

I should have been explicit and said that to check on the presence
of a device you must select the HDMI input for that device
via the onscreen menu for external devices and if nothing is
there, try powering down and back up the external device.

Not sure I agree with this. If I'm watching TV and switch on my HDMI
attached Humax PVR, the Panasonic TV switches to the Humax. The TV
_doesn't_ do this if I switch on the HDMI attached PS3 so I suspect it's
wrong to say that there _isn't_ autoswitching, rather it's either done in
ways which some manufacturers get wrong, or don't bother with at all.

Paul DS.

Old February 1st 12, 07:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mick.

"Clive" wrote in message
In message , J G Miller
writes
This behavior is not just limited to Samsung TVs but all
TVs and connected HDMI devices as far as I am aware.

My Panasonic TV has 3 HDMI slots, two Scarts an array of phono sockets and
even a socket for a SD card from a camera. On the remote there are two
buttons, one for it's own Freeview internals and another for the external
which then gives you a menu. If you've not already gone to the right
--
Clive

Thank you all for the latest messages,

I have been trying all that has been suggested.

I can connect every time if I wait for any pre set recording to finish, it
is only during those that it sometimes wont connect.

I have by means of elimination found best chances of connecting, are to
wake the Recorder up first from standby, then use the
source button on the TV remote to go to the HDMI source.

I will just learn to have more patience and live with it :-)
Mick.

Old February 1st 12, 01:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D Smith[_2_]

Mick,

Were you trying to do the following then?

- leave the box in standby and programmed to record
- wait for it to start recording
- turn on TV
- try to select PVR from the TV = no signal?

If so then that's exactly what my Humax does. Whilst "recording from
standby" it is in a twilight state and not outputing from the HDMI until I
bring oit out of "standby-but-recording".

Paul DS

Old February 1st 12, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
J G Miller[_3_]

On Wednesday, February 1st, 2012, at 08:46:49h +0000, Mick. wrote:

I can connect every time if I wait for any pre set recording to finish,
it is only during those that it sometimes wont connect.

So it sounds like the Humax is not sending any video signal on the HDMI
output whilst it is busy recording.

I have by means of elimination found best chances of connecting, are
to wake the Recorder up first from standby, then use the source button
on the TV remote to go to the HDMI source.

What happens if you change the HDMI source to the recorder and
then wake it up?

Old February 2nd 12, 09:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mick.

"Paul D Smith" wrote in message
Mick,

Were you trying to do the following then?

- leave the box in standby and programmed to record
- wait for it to start recording
- turn on TV
- try to select PVR from the TV = no signal?

If so then that's exactly what my Humax does. Whilst "recording from
standby" it is in a twilight state and not outputing from the HDMI until I
bring oit out of "standby-but-recording".

Paul DS

Hi Paul,
Yes that is correct except the Humax comes out of standby ok, and
the ring around the central button turns red
but the TV still displays "no signal"
I can get a connection sometimes by using the source button on the TV remote
but sometimes I just have to wait for the recording to finish before it will
connect.

And yes I have also tried a few different HDMI cables and the socket used on
the TV.
Mick.

Old February 2nd 12, 11:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D Smith[_2_]

"Mick." wrote in message
om...

[...]

Just to confirm, when the Humax "comes out of standby" this is because
you've pressed the "On/Off" button either on the remote or the box and NOT
because it has started recording something?

If so then this is a fault I've never seen. My Humax always comes on and my
Panasonic immediately switches to it (with some odd flickering/switching
until the TV becomes happy).

Paul DS.

Old February 2nd 12, 01:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mick.

"Paul D Smith" wrote in message
"Mick." wrote in message
om...

[...]

Hi, yes I bring it out of standby by using the power button on the remote,
whether or not it might be recording a set programme.

There is a "handshaking" problem known about but mine seems to be affected
more than others.
Which is why I wanted to try updating the drivers in the TV, but now know
there are no new drivers for it, or any way of putting them in anyhow.

My Samsung TV does not switch to the correct HDMI input I use the source
button to select it.
Mick.

Old February 2nd 12, 03:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive

In message , Mick.
writes
I have by means of elimination found best chances of connecting, are to
wake the Recorder up first from standby, then use the
source button on the TV remote to go to the HDMI source.
I will just learn to have more patience and live with it :-)
Mick.

My Panasonic BD/HDD recorder/Burner, is a pain.you switch it on , it
take ages thinking about it. Whatever you try to do it blanks the
screen whilst it thinks about it for 10 to 15 seconds before announcing
that what you are trying to do is permissible or not permissible, or
that you need a different menu and please go back to start and try
again. (Do not collect 200);-)
--
Clive