It makes yer weep

Old July 9th 11, 01:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default It makes yer weep

The customer of long-standing rung up to say that he couldn't control
one of his satellite boxes from other rooms, and that the picture was
poor. Reception of terrestrial TV was 'iffy'. He'd had a new box
following the demise of the old one. It turned out that the 'engineer'
who'd installed it (no names no pack drill) had
(a) ignored the label on the aerial feed to the TV set and connected it
into the RF in socket on the sat box, thus creating a loop with gain.
(b) attempted to fix the resulting problem by fitting a new coax plug on
the satellite RF output cable (clearly labelled). The coax plug had the
inner neither crimped nor soldered and a strand of braid was shorting it
out. That was dropping the UHF 10dB, the DC a million dB, and the 7MHz
return an amount I didn't bother to measure but it must have been a lot.
(c) Set the RF output of the new box to ch68, despite the label which
said 'RF out from sat box: ch38'. Ch68 was a particularly bad choice
since the aerial system uses Belmont, despite this being in a
predominantly Emley Moor area.
(d) Told the customer that the aerial system was 'rubbish' and
recommended his mate, who would fix it but could only come on a Sunday
and would want 'pound notes'.

Having finished, as I imagined, I decided to check all the TV sets and
sat boxes. At that point the customer's missus came in (soaking wet and
with a dripping Scottie) and said that HD was 'stupid' and that 'it was
no different'. Needless to say they had been selecting the sat box on
AV1 (scart). I showed her a fabulous BBC HD picture on the giant Sony
set using HDMI and she rubbed the rain from her glasses and said, "It's
a bit better but I still can't see what all the fuss is about."

I went into the games room and found a note which said 'TV man, can't
get TV just games ect also remote brok." The remote had flat batteries.
There were no peripherals except scarted game boxes, so I picked up the
aerial lead from the floor and reached behind the new Toshiba to plug it
in. I couldn't do it despite a lifetime's practice. It turned out that
the aerial socket on the TV set was totally destroyed. There was nothing
to plug in to. The wet dog crept in and got on the settee. I crept out.

Old July 9th 11, 08:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Wade

On 09/07/2011 07:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
How can you destroy an aerial socket?

By inserting (or trying to insert) a phono plug, probably. I've known
it happen (don't ask)...

--
Andy
Old July 9th 11, 09:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Andy Wade
writes
On 09/07/2011 07:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
How can you destroy an aerial socket?

By inserting (or trying to insert) a phono plug, probably. I've known
it happen (don't ask)...

No need to try inserting the wrong connector. Ordinary moderately rough
treatment can't be quite adequate.
--
Ian
Old July 9th 11, 09:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message , Andy Wade
writes
On 09/07/2011 07:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
How can you destroy an aerial socket?

By inserting (or trying to insert) a phono plug, probably. I've known
it happen (don't ask)...

No need to try inserting the wrong connector. Ordinary moderately rough
treatment can't be quite adequate.

For 'can't', read 'can'.
--
Ian
Old July 9th 11, 11:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.

At that point the customer's missus came in (soaking wet and
with a dripping Scottie)

I've never heard it called that before.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 9th 11, 02:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Andy Wade wrote:
On 09/07/2011 07:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
How can you destroy an aerial socket?

By inserting (or trying to insert) a phono plug, probably. I've known
it happen (don't ask)...

Yes that would be it Andy. The room had a lot of games machines in it,
and there were interconnects of all kinds strewn on the floor.

Old July 9th 11, 02:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message , Andy Wade
writes
On 09/07/2011 07:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
How can you destroy an aerial socket?

By inserting (or trying to insert) a phono plug, probably. I've
known it happen (don't ask)...

No need to try inserting the wrong connector. Ordinary moderately
rough treatment can't be quite adequate.

For 'can't', read 'can'.

For some reason that reminds me of Max Miller:

"I like a girl who says she won't,
But looks as if she might! ..."

Old July 9th 11, 02:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Graham. wrote:
At that point the customer's missus came in (soaking wet and
with a dripping Scottie)

I've never heard it called that before.

Good heavens mon! Do ye think aboot nothing but sex?

Old July 9th 11, 02:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim

"Graham." wrote:
At that point the customer's missus came in (soaking wet and
with a dripping Scottie)

I've never heard it called that before.

Is this related to Top Gear's discussion about the meaning of "growler"?
;-)

Tim