It makes yer weep

Old July 9th 11, 09:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Rumm

Default It makes yer weep

On 09/07/2011 09:30, Andy Wade wrote:
On 09/07/2011 07:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
How can you destroy an aerial socket?

By inserting (or trying to insert) a phono plug, probably. I've known it
happen (don't ask)...

I went to knew someone who had an Atari VCS console with a phono plug on
the end of it. He left trail of knackered belling lee sockets in his
wake wherever this thing went, and denied that there was anything wrong
with the Atari lead!

(IIRC I chopped the plug off and fitted a proper one when he was not
looking one day - he never noticed!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 10th 11, 09:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Andy Wade
zen.co.uk scribeth thus
On 09/07/2011 07:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
How can you destroy an aerial socket?

By inserting (or trying to insert) a phono plug, probably. I've known
it happen (don't ask)...

A maker of FM Radio transmitters tells me that their export customers expect a
PL259 plug to fit an "N" type socket with some genteel hammering;!....
--
Tony Sayer

Old July 10th 11, 11:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

tony sayer wrote:

A maker of FM Radio transmitters tells me that their export customers expect a
PL259 plug to fit an "N" type socket with some genteel hammering;!....

Since the absurd introduction of TV wallplates with belling males for
UHF, a number of residents have found ways to mate a male plug (on their
flylead) with the male socket. Methods include sellotape, elastplast,
and modification of the connectors with a junior hacksaw.

Old July 11th 11, 09:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

A maker of FM Radio transmitters tells me that their export customers
expect a PL259 plug to fit an "N" type socket with some genteel
hammering;!....

Since the absurd introduction of TV wallplates with belling males for
UHF, a number of residents have found ways to mate a male plug (on their
flylead) with the male socket. Methods include sellotape, elastplast,
and modification of the connectors with a junior hacksaw.

Many TV and PVR makers etc supply a male to female BL cable - but rarely a
male to male. So I'm not surprised some makers started supplying male
outlet wall plates. I fitted one to a mate's place recently. He wasn't
worth arguing with, being an accountant. ;-)

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 11th 11, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:32:49 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

Many TV and PVR makers etc supply a male to female BL cable - but rarely a
male to male. So I'm not surprised some makers started supplying male
outlet wall plates. I fitted one to a mate's place recently. He wasn't
worth arguing with, being an accountant. ;-)

I hope you charged him the going rate, or did he expect something for
nothing?
Old July 11th 11, 10:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

wrote:

Many TV and PVR makers etc supply a male to female BL cable - but
rarely a male to male. So I'm not surprised some makers started
supplying male outlet wall plates. I fitted one to a mate's place
recently. He wasn't worth arguing with, being an accountant. ;-)

I hope you charged him the going rate, or did he expect something for
nothing?

;-) Think he expected me to supply and fit it under warranty - since I
fitted the original some 20 years ago. It was a made up one with a pair of
phonos to route the TV sound to an external amp. No longer needed since
the room layout had been changed and a crappy AV system bought. For looks
rather than sound.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Old July 19th 11, 01:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
funkyoldcortina

On 09/07/11 22:11, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/07/2011 09:30, Andy Wade wrote:
On 09/07/2011 07:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
How can you destroy an aerial socket?

By inserting (or trying to insert) a phono plug, probably. I've known it
happen (don't ask)...

I went to knew someone who had an Atari VCS console with a phono plug on the
end of it. He left trail of knackered belling lee sockets in his wake
wherever this thing went, and denied that there was anything wrong with the
Atari lead!

(IIRC I chopped the plug off and fitted a proper one when he was not looking
one day - he never noticed!)

The old atari VCS console - and Sinclair spectrums - had a phono socket for
UHF output and came with a phono to belling-lee cable in the UK. Probably
someone had replaced it with a phono-phono cable.

Old July 21st 11, 10:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Rumm

On 19/07/2011 14:18, funkyoldcortina wrote:
[...]

Although still a PAL machine, its possible that this particular one was
bought outside the UK (its equally possible that the dozy owner ended up
getting the cables mixed up!).

--
Cheers,

John.

Old November 24th 13, 07:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Thursday, 21 July 2011 23:41:56 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

Although still a PAL machine, its possible that this particular one was
bought outside the UK (its equally possible that the dozy owner ended up
getting the cables mixed up!).

I've never seen a VCS that doesn't have a captive RF lead*, with a belling-lee plug on the end, so possibly the video game in the story was a different model.

* it does have a phono plug connecting it to the modulator inside, but some disassembly is required!
* mine doesn't have an RF lead at all, I changed it to luma+chroma a few years back.

Cheers, Alex
Old November 24th 13, 11:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_2_]

wrote:
On Thursday, 21 July 2011 23:41:56 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

Although still a PAL machine, its possible that this particular one was
bought outside the UK (its equally possible that the dozy owner ended up
getting the cables mixed up!).

I've never seen a VCS that doesn't have a captive RF lead*, with a
belling-lee plug on the end, so possibly the video game in the story was a different model.

* it does have a phono plug connecting it to the modulator inside, but
some disassembly is required!
* mine doesn't have an RF lead at all, I changed it to luma+chroma a few years back.

Cheers, Alex

Thank you for your contribution to this hotly topical conversation.

You may now tell your tutor that you've posted to usenet.

Tim